The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New project - Datsun 240z

grahamc

It is with great pleasure that I introduce you to my new project, a Datsun 240z. This car has been on my list of cars to own for ages!

I logged onto a Z forum on Saturday night with the intention of putting my 350z up for sale (thread was created here, but never got round to it on the other site) and came across a for sale ad for a RHD Datsun 240z. It was late so sent a quick text message to confirm car was available and that I would call the next day. It was :eyebrows: Called the owner, had a good chat about the car and about 20 minutes later missus and I were in the GTR on our way from Surrey to Blackpool to view the car - 270 miles one way.

A long trip, but well worth it!! The car needs a bloody good clean, some cosmetic work doing and the carbs need a tune up, but the car has been used on a regular(ish) basis and the owner is great!! Z nutter for over 20 years and such a nice guy. Spent about an hour and a half going over the car, going for a drive, chatting about this car and his many other 240z (he has owned a few). Left a deposit and started the long trip home, which did not go well...... but all I can think of today, is the 240z!! Need to arrange collection and transportation of it today.

The list of things to do is:-

1. Get the car down home

2. Get the carbs tuned and exhaust manifold gasket needs to be changed

3. Enjoy the car for a little, before the cosmetic works gets started.... not sure on how I am going to do this, might be a complete strip down and respray

Here is a quick teaser:-

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great, is it suffering much corrosion under the body work ?

No its not... drivers sill been fixed and the passenger front wing, but the car has a good coat of underseal and looks rather decent underneath. Just hope the underseal is not covering anything.

Very nice, always liked this shape :thumbs:

Me too ;)

Very nice! looks like its already had some TLC, whats the plan? motor swap or staying std?

more than likely stay standard for now, but will more than likely be getting bare shelled this time next winter, so not sure engine wise.... I like the idea of a modern reliable engine :)

Being of an age where I drove these things when they were new I can say I am rather jealous of you! The stock engine was a nice unit, if a little frail head gasket wise. I'd be sure the rad was new, and also the water pump. I'd be tempted to leave it stock save for modern dampers and I would seriously consider putting it on FI direct spark and a modern ecu. performance and economy would be transformed. rebuilding the carbs will be expensive, especially if they have throttle shaft wear. You don't need anything fancy, ecu wise. Looks like a nice basis for a project, good luck!

No its not... drivers sill been fixed and the passenger front wing, but the car has a good coat of underseal and looks rather decent underneath. Just hope the underseal is not covering anything.

Me too ;)

Like January's Guardian, some cut up Lidl cartons and 5kgs of Halford's best bog? ;)

Get digging, good luck! :)

Being of an age where I drove these things when they were new I can say I am rather jealous of you! The stock engine was a nice unit, if a little frail head gasket wise. I'd be sure the rad was new, and also the water pump. I'd be tempted to leave it stock save for modern dampers and I would seriously consider putting it on FI direct spark and a modern ecu. performance and economy would be transformed. rebuilding the carbs will be expensive, especially if they have throttle shaft wear. You don't need anything fancy, ecu wise. Looks like a nice basis for a project, good luck!

Now that sounds like an interesting way forward, modern ECU, I like that!

Beautiful car. Another vote here for keeping it fairly original - careful mods will leave you with a usable, timeless classic. Let me know if you fancy a feature doing. I know a few mags who would be interested.

Seems the best for now...

Beautiful :cool:

Please drop an S20 out of a Hakosuka into it, they're incredible engines (albeit expensive!)

Would love to, but the cost of the engine may be a little too much, lovely sound!