The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Adjust window regulator

Jellybean

Had to get a new regulator for the window , Is there a trick to adjust them.

I adjusted the bump stops as the window was catching the frame when you closed it

I still get slight wind noise , it is not sealing fully, the rubber on the frame encapsulates the window when closed, there's less than a mm in it , with the window hitting the frame so I dont think I can adjust the bump stop again

Any idea's , in comparison to the passenger side it looks spot on

Toyota also alter the design of the new regulator so maybe that is a factor

Was told Sometimes if they are too tight it will cause wind noise

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it is got to do we the new design of the regulator , seems to be a common problem with the Supra when guys swap out the regulator for a new one

The window is bolted on via 3-4 bolts , the curvature of the glass is defined by the angle of degree of the regulator

Unless a window installer guy has some mystical magical tool or technique , I am not too sure, at this stage the passenger and drivers windows sit and look the same to the naked eye

Passenger window has no wind noise as it was installed at factory

Worth taking to a professional window installer?

I have also just changed my drivers side for a second hand one, ( the wire snapped on the origonal one) and I have the same problem, hoping to get out on a dry day and have a look, yeh it is a pain in the bum getting to the mech, I'm going to try and adjust the bottom of the guide rail where it's fixed to the door frame, I'm thinking if I move that end away it should move the top of the glass in, to get a better seal.

It's just when you get above 60 that the high pitched whistle becomes propper irritating.

you can adjust the "lean" of the window by the adjustment screw at the bottom, centre of the door, under the handle.

one way will push it away from the seal, the other push it against the seal.

Will have to look at that , the noise for me is right beside my ear , the corner of the glass meets the rubber ; I think it just needs to press in more against the rubber to seal properly

you can adjust the "lean" of the window by the adjustment screw at the bottom, centre of the door, under the handle.

one way will push it away from the seal, the other push it against the seal.

I never knew this, although my window whistles it comes from the area by the wing mirror. I guess that's probably down to the rubber seals though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, right I managed to get some time to have a look at this the other day, I took the door card off but I only had to move a bit of the plastic aside to get to a few things. I loosened off the regulator bottom holding bolt a little, then I loosened off the top bolts a bit to make sure they were as far down (in the holes) towards the floor as they would go, then niped back up. I then loosened the adjusting nut at the bottom right of the regulator a full turn.

I then closed the door to check it would close without catching, and it did appear that the glass was a slightly better fit at the top, so took it for a drive on M27, bingo no whistling and no drought.

I think it just takes a lot of fiddling and checking before you put the door card back on, and I think I was probably a bit lucky.

What does the nut adjust ?

loosened the adjusting nut at the bottom right of the regulator a full turn.

I have the glass sitting as low as possible in the regulator , and I was adjusting the bump stops at the top of the door

Didn't notice an adjusting but at the bottom

Thanks for the heads up ! :) hopefully will sort out mine

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

Got mine done

Repo steps

1. Make sure the window seats as far back against the wall of the door card (Pic one) ,Undo the 3 bolts on the regulator and push the window towards the rear of the car, loosely hand tighten bolts (Pic 2)
  2. Fully close the window, measure it is seated close to the rear quarter window compared to the opposite window , just use you finger to get a rough measurement (mine was sitting too far forward in the regulator )
  3. With the window fully closed , close the door, the top of the window should be encapsulated by the rubber around the door
  4. If you window is seating too high it will crush the rubber , resulting in wind noise
  5. You need to adjust the bump stops , front and rear; to lower or higher your window.
  6. As a reference I used the opposite window , fully closed , with my finger I tried to guage how far the window was up into the rubber , gives you a good reference point to test the window is seating correctly
  7. Adjust the bump stops if you need to , mine was up too high crushing the rubber , some small adjustments and visual/finger :) comparisons to the opposite window , the rubber looks to be encapsulating the window as it should

**my biggest error was not having the window seated correctly in the first place against the wall of the door card

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3 -- Bump stop Adj

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Did you people manage to come right with this? Fitted my new door panels and have had my window close very loudly always when I closed the door. I even adjusted the door like an idiot thinking it was that. Yeah I need new rubbers but the window had too much wobble/play in it. I did loosen 2 bolts holding the window to the rubber and moved it up and tightened it. That helped. Guess last thing for me to try to fix it entirely is do that adjustment at the bottom.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember doing this 2 years ago on mine, window regulator cable snapped. What a pain in the a** this is! I got it as close as possible before giving up...it would shut fine but leave the noise creating gap, or just touch the bottom of the rubber at the top. This is how I've left it, just have to push the glass in very slightly when closing the door. Ill have a look again this summer, sounds like the tilt needs adjusting as i know the height is as close as ill get it!

Someone Sticky this thread!

• 2 weeks later...

just done my drivers side window opens and shuts good sits in the rubbers ok but when i shut the door its not the nice thud it used to be or like the passenger door.maybe mines to tight on the rubbers,need to adjust the tilt think this is the bottom adjuster.cant be arsed now as the weather is crap.

• 3 years later...

I just arrived at this thread after replacing my window regulators and both the window edges now catch the top trim. Naturally I discover this after all the weather seal has been sealed back in and everything reassembled.. 🤗

This is the tilt adjuster pictured to angle the window inwards from below. I have about 14mm of exposed thread on the rear most adjuster, and 8mm exposed thread on the front to give an idea of what works without catching the top.

image.png.26b3a7f876dfb076a21f4a0493d03fe3.png