The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Mega Aerotop Leak Fix Thread FAQ

Ric

Hi Guys,

I wanted to put together a little FAQ style thread regarding fixing aero-top leaks, it seems to be a common problem that doesn't have a definitive set of solutions to solve leaks.

I've had a few leaks on my aero-top after it was in the body-shop and I've tried MANY things, only the final set of things I documented have seem to provide a fully leak free solution.

First of all, my aero-top has new brand new seals and I still had some pretty severe leaks which goes to show it's not always the solution.

Firstly:

You will want to check your drains, there are 4 on the car, 2 on the front and 2 on the rear.

They connect to pipes which run down the A pillars and on the rear they run along the roof down the C pillar.

There are little connecting fittings inside the car which are mid way down the A pillar (behind the trims) and just above the plastic trim behind the seat belts

If they have come loose, they will be dumping water straight out of the pipe into the car check these if you are getting a wet rear headlining or a damp foot-well but not seats.

On the car, they are marked L R, they are held in with 2 screws and should line up perfectly.

Mine where wrong, the fronts where on the rears and the rears on the fronts etc, if yours are similar, swap them around (mine had just come out of the bodyshop, yours should be fine)

attachment.php?attachmentid=193140&stc=1&d=1413978419

attachment.php?attachmentid=193139&stc=1&d=1413978419

They should fall into place, not like the pictures above, mine where the wrong way around, the picture is to show where the drains are.

Make sure you connect the pipe to the drain before you refit!

Always test with some water to make sure the drains are clear, not blocked.

Once you are certain your drains are clear and not blocked and all connected we can move onto the sealing rails.

--

Even if you have installed new seals onto your aero-top you could still get quite severe leaks (like mine) due to the sealing rails.

These are the bits of metal which holds the seals to the car, most people don't know that these rails also have seals behind them!

In my case, the seal of the rail to the car was at fault which was letting water in:

attachment.php?attachmentid=193141&stc=1&d=1413978911

Remove the seal carefully, there are 2 clips holding the bottom section in

attachment.php?attachmentid=193142&stc=1&d=1413978911

Here you can see the seal rail, remove them by taking out the 4 screws

attachment.php?attachmentid=193143&stc=1&d=1413978911

When you've removed this rail you can see the sealing tape on the rear of it, it may have failed or just be old and rubbish, if this has failed, water will just bypass the seal completely and go straight in the car. - The front sealing rails will probably see water in the footwell (it gets onto the apillar trims and drains into the footwell) clean the surface also to make sure the sealant sticks OK

The aerotop roof sealing rails would see water on your seats, we cover them later.

attachment.php?attachmentid=193144&stc=1&d=1413978911

The seal is shown above, the black strip going along the rear of the rail, take a Stanley blade and take off all the old seal.

I applied a new self adhesive rubber seal which i bought from the local wickes

You should also apply some Butyl rubber to fully seal the joint too, this stuff is instantly waterproof and sticks like glue.

attachment.php?attachmentid=193146&stc=1&d=1413979242

attachment.php?attachmentid=193145&stc=1&d=1413978911

Apply around the screw holes on the mating face of the rail.

Attach back to the car, making sure the 4 screws are placed back in nice and tight, you might get some sealant coming in, but thats OK.

Apply the sealant into the rail where the seal sits and reseat the seal making sure that they are tucked in perfectly.

--

The Aero-top roof also suffers with the same problem.

Again with new seals my aerotop roof leaked like a river, because of the higher point of this sealing rail a failure here will probably give a wet seat or boot release area, rather than the foot-well.

As with the front seals, remove the seals carefully.

You can follow Carbon_Bullets awesome aerotop seal post for info on removing and refitting the seals here

attachment.php?attachmentid=193147&stc=1&d=1413979630

Once the roof is separated from the rail, clean the surfaces to make sure the sealant takes properly.

On the rear of the sealing rail you will see a similar sealing to the front ones, remove it

attachment.php?attachmentid=193149&stc=1&d=1413979630

attachment.php?attachmentid=193148&stc=1&d=1413979630

Apply the new rubber strip and seal the area in the same fashion as the fronts, rebuild the aerotop roof using Carbon_Bullet's thread

Test your work with a watering can or bucket, mine so far has had 6 cans per side and not let a single drop into the car.

Leave some cloths on the seats etc just incase it still gets in.

--

Once you have rebuild the roof, i had to do both sides of the aerotop roof and both front sections (so 4 areas in total)

Refit the roof using the proper Toyota bolting order (just to avoid any silly problems like poor fitment)

attachment.php?attachmentid=193150&stc=1&d=1413980011

If it turns out you need new seals or any other parts you can see the parts listing below for the aerotop.

attachment.php?attachmentid=193151&stc=1&d=1413980022

Part numbers for the seals (4 in total)

63251-14050 WEATHERSTRIP TARGA FRT

63252-14020 WEATHERSTRIP TARGA REAR

62383-14030 WEATHERSTRIP TARGA RH

62384-14030 WEATHERSTRIP TARGA LH

These can be bought from various traders and can be had much cheaper from the USA with delivery times of around 2-3 days.

Other methods for older seals include rubbing them with Vaseline (although this could degrade them) or a silicone spray.

Once you have installed some new seals, treat with Gummi Pfledge during every wash or a similar product to keep them supple.

Hopefully this thread helps you finding leaks!

drainwrong.JPG

drainwrong2.JPG

Fwdseal1.JPG

Fwdseal2.JPG

Fwdseal3.JPG

Fwdseal4.jpg

Fwdseal5.jpg

sealant.JPG

aerotopbare.JPG

aerotop2.jpg

aerotop3.jpg

moutingorder.JPG

Parts.jpg

Edited by Ric (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Question if a can Ric, do new weatherstips come with the metal bits as i have none of them :(

I would assume if you bought new seal rails they would come with a weather strip.

However I don't actually know, as i didn't buy them, i used my old ones. if they don't just apply some, it's easy enough to buy, then butyl rubber seal the hell out of it.

I would assume if you bought new seal rails they would come with a weather strip.

However I don't actually know, as i didn't buy them, i used my old ones. if they don't just apply some, it's easy enough to buy, then butyl rubber seal the hell out of it.

I have ordered all 4 seals brand new so just waiting on them. Going to order the metal parts from Mr T soon. Also need the air diverter :(

I have ordered all 4 seals brand new so just waiting on them. Going to order the metal parts from Mr T soon. Also need the air diverter :(

Still waiting for mine to turn up , then getting simon to fit them and a few other bits then hopefully fingers crossed that will solve the leaking, got water coming in from the drivers front corner and occasionally the drivers rear.

Still waiting for mine to turn up í^½í¸•, then getting simon to fit them and a few other bits then hopefully fingers crossed that will solve the leaking, got water coming in from the drivers front corner and occasionally the drivers rear.

We'll hopefully the seals will work but I deffo need the metal bits to make it work.

We'll hopefully the seals will work but I deffo need the metal bits to make it work.

When I spoke to him he said he's going to do the metal bits too, plus some screws etc he's already cleaned out the drains and that's helped a lot but I just want it to stop leaking.