The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A first start up in 2 years - Checklist of things to do

Mike2JZ

So the N/A I bought recently is getting to the stage where sometime this weekend I will be starting her up for the first time in about 2 years.

My checklist of things to do is the following, can anyone confirm if I'm on the right track or if there is anything else that would be recommended to do.

1) Install new battery

2) Siphon old fuel out of tank, replace with new fuel

3) Try starting car, if engine fires and runs go to next step, if not then diagnose issue

4) Full service of fluids

5) New oil filter

6) Done?

Cheers

Before you try and start it up, prime it first. Pull the lead off the coil, turn it over to build some oil pressure up, circulate it a bit and get the fuel pressure up.

Just to clarify, by disconnected the coil packs, ignition won't happen. But turning the key will still make the engine crank? Which in turn leads to increased oil pressure + circulation?

Just pull the center coil lead out the dizzy, your car wont start then.

As you turn the engine over you are turning the oil pump thus pushing oil round

the engine, you should see the oil light go out on the dash, when it does pop the

lead back on the dizzy and fire it up, don't rev it though and let it tick over for a while

I'd check the oil level first using the dipstick and check the rad is full of coolant and the

expansion tank is approx half full, check the state of the rad cap too, the seal on the underside

tend to fail with age.

Don't forget to change the brake fluid and check all the calipers are free and working correctly

So spent the morning prepping the car to start, once I turned the key the following happens:

So I guess the engine is cranking? But doesn't seem to do much else

I guess my next step is to check the spark plugs and give them a clean if needed.

Any other thoughts on what could be causing the issue? I don't think it's the security system, I've overridden it with a fob every time I've tried to start the car thus far

Sounds like an alarm/immobiliser cutting in too me, does it have one?

Are you getting fuel? Can you here the pump priming if so

It does have one, but I'm not 100% sure of how it works. I've contacted the last owner to see if he can shine any light on the topic. Makes sense to rule out if this is the security kicking in or an actual mechanic issue before I go any further.

Could be the temperature sensor, maybe a bit unplugged or smth like that.

Had the similar case on my last TT6.

Did not start at cold, well at warm temp.

Thanks will check over that

Does sound like it's not even trying to start.

I'd make sure fuel was getting there.

And there's a spark.

Are the leads in the correct way?

King lead connected?

Forgive my ignorance but where can I find the king lead?

It does have one, but I'm not 100% sure of how it works. I've contacted the last owner to see if he can shine any light on the topic. Makes sense to rule out if this is the security kicking in or an actual mechanic issue before I go any further.

Thanks will check over that

Forgive my ignorance but where can I find the king lead?

The king lead is the centre lead in the distributer and comes across to the wing into a little box

Pull the air filter trunking off, squirt Easy Start into the engine side of it, crank engine. Does it fire? Yes? You have a no fuel issue. No? You have a no or (very very) weak spark issue. Halves the potential issues with one squirt.

Didn't have any Easy Start or similar at hand, so decided to check on the sparks.

Think it's fair to say they have seen better days.

attachment.php?attachmentid=192649&stc=1&d=1412966012

Picking up some NGK 38 Spark Plug (x4) BKR5EYA-11 tomorrow morning and will swap them out and try again.

IMG_5605.jpg

So today I fitted the new spark plugs, gave the car some new fuel & bought some easy start to test some more.

Compared to yesterday I'm now getting a few spits of ignition, which I guess is progress, but ultimately the car still isn't firing. The engine (as seen in video) also sounds a little different when cranking now, which I think is a good thing?

Tomorrow I'm thinking of going over all the engine sensors, making sure they are clean. Also will check the grounding to make sure there aren't any loose ends.

From the sound the engine is making now when trying to start has anyone got any other suggestions for what I can try?

If it's a manual you could try tow starting it, but it would be more scientific to get it to fire

up on the starter motor. Do you KNOW it ran perfectly when it was laid up, or have you just been told that?

I don't KNOW as I wasn't there at the time, but have been told it was running fine. From my interactions with the last owner, I wouldn't suspect him to be lying about it, but who knows.

Either way this will be fixed.

What difference would tow starting the car make?

It'll turn over a damned sight faster and with no starter load sapping voltage. If it won't start at 2 or 3 thousand RPM it isn't going to start at all, as is.

Will see if I can get that done tomorrow and will report back, hope it works

humm i had this problem when my one had to be layd up for good a year. i say it's trying to start just put the pedal to the floor and keep turning the key and it will fire up thats what i did...

I'll keep trying!

Not necessarily, the trigger part is separate from the rotor switching of the high tension. You need to see if the disi is outputting a trigger signal to the ecu,

and if the igniter box is triggering the coil. Don't just thro bits at it in the hope *something* might work. A garage should be able to tell which area is faulty in 30 minutes.