The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mike's White Widearch N/A Supra Project

Mike2JZ

Been a bit quiet recently whilst saving up for the next stage, but starting to make some progress now.

Whilst everything was out, thought I'd pull apart the engine and just check everything was in good nick and see if I could figure out what was causing the off throttle smoking.

attachment.php?attachmentid=227528&stc=1&d=1528028145

Everything looked in good nick. Until I found that I had put one of the secondary compression rings on piston #4 upside down. So that ring was working more like an oil pump rather than scraping excess oil away. Ring gaps are also a little looser than I wanted, so better start saving for some forged pistons soon.

attachment.php?attachmentid=227529&stc=1&d=1528028145

Checked the bearings whilst I was down there and happy to see no major signs of wear or oil contamination.

Changed a few gaskets and bolted her back togther

attachment.php?attachmentid=227530&stc=1&d=1528028145

Friend told me I could use his borg warner s472 turbo which sounded like a great idea, but after a few weeks of pondering I decided against it and ordered a brand new borg warner s360 t4 .88 AR

attachment.php?attachmentid=227531&stc=1&d=1528028145

I quite liked the response of my last turbo and this one has similar dimensions, but I'd feel more confident running a lot more boost through this.

With engine back together, I moved back to the car and started stripping engine bay for paint. Should have the battery and fusebox relocated to the back of the car, might also delete the ABS if I can get the right lines & cylinder in time.

attachment.php?attachmentid=227532&stc=1&d=1528028145

check rings.jpg

bearing check.jpg

s400.jpg

bw360.jpg

bay delete.jpg

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So whilst I was out in switzerland last I managed to source an R154 through a friend that I put in the boot of the car whilst limping the car home.

The box was out a MKIII Supra so the bellhousing was wrong, and shifter would need to be extended. The box was also missing a shifter and shifter rod, the latter being discontinued.

Thought I'd try and be a smart ass and buy a broken chaser R154 so I could get the bellhousing and use the shifter mechanism on the gearset from the MKIII box.

attachment.php?attachmentid=227535&stc=1&d=1528028921

To make a long story short, there is quite a big difference between the 5th/reverse shaft on both boxes.

Me and a friend were able to get the chaser shifter mechanism working on the MKIII box but 5th gear was not selectable without making a pretty major modification to the box. I opted out of this just in case I ended up with two paperweights.

So we put the boxes back to how they were originally. I was able to get the bits I needed for the MKIII box from driftmotion, and all I need to do is extend the shifter housing when they get here and I'll have an R154 to use.

attachment.php?attachmentid=227534&stc=1&d=1528028921

Also went balls out on a new twin plate clutch that comes with a flywheel, and converts the box to a push type setup. Kit is rated to 900ft.lbs of torque, which is more then I will ever make probably.

So now that engine and box is almost there, I went back to getting the car looking a bit nicer.

Spent a few days sanding/prepping my shell and try to get it ready for a new lick of super white 040 paint.

attachment.php?attachmentid=227538&stc=1&d=1528028921

attachment.php?attachmentid=227537&stc=1&d=1528028921

attachment.php?attachmentid=227536&stc=1&d=1528028921

attachment.php?attachmentid=227539&stc=1&d=1528028950

Luckily I had a paint buddy who was able to get my car painted the same night I dropped the car off and prepped it for him.

attachment.php?attachmentid=227540&stc=1&d=1528028950

Finally after how many years this car will all be one colour. Went with 2K Paint rather than traditional paint as I don't want a showroom quality paintjob, just a freshen up that I won't feel too bad about getting damaged whilst driving the car like a loon.

Will have the other panels painted sometime this week, then I can begin piecing the car back together hopefully in time for some track action at brands hatch on 24th june.

clutch kit.jpg

r154 fuckery.jpg

prep1.jpg

prep2.jpg

prep3.jpg

paint action.jpg

paint tease.jpg