The mkiv Supra Owners Club

E46 auto box problem

Supralee

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone could possibly help me out.

Looking at purchasing an e46 325 bmw convertible for the Mrs.

Ones popped up but the guy has said that the auto box is temperamental in reverse it will move back 4 to 5 foot and then have to select neutral and put in reverse again to do the same.

All forward gears are fine apparently.

Am I looking at a knackered box, just wondered if anyone knew a bit these boxes.

Any help would be appreciated before I maybe take the plunge.

Thanks

Hi bud i had the E46 330CI and was fine for months then started doing the same thing so had filter changed, flushed the fluid through with new and then refilled with the bmw oil at a cost of £15.69 a litre!! was ok for couple months till it lost all drive this time :rolleyes: had it taken to a gearbox rebuilder that did a free test before any work!!! and he said oil smelt burnt and when he removed the sump pan there was lots of metal fillings and sludge he said in that moment its either the pump valve housing or the gear drive plates at this point I said what am i looking at he said around the £1200 mark for full remove, rebuild & refit so its still sitting in the back of my garage under a car cover till i find a good 2nd hand one

hope gives you some help on the other hand they are fun to drive hard and not bad in the bends ;)