The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacing Twin Turbo Link Pipes

Big Supes

My car is no longer hitting over 1 bar of boost and both turbos seem to be operating as they should with no smoke or sounds of stalling so, after a suggestion from a fellow member, I have been looking into changing the turbo link pipes (as they can perish and collapse internally). The problem is, I can't seem to locate them on my car... and I have a feeling someone is going to tell me that the UK spec turbos don't have them. :think:

Can anyone confirm this?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the black accordian style pipes.

Whifbitz sell them in black or blue for about 45quid.

Although your boost problem is more than likely down to a faulty VSV or cracked vacuum pipe than a collapsed boost hose.

There is another accordion style pipe (see pic) that is between them, off to the right hand size, under the vac pipes as well. Ignore that one?

Would running TTC eliminate the VSV do you know?

It's not accordion its a normal straight hose, but changing it wouldnt hurt.

TTC usually shows up VSV issues yeah but ive never used this so cant be much help.

Cool, thanks for confirming.

I've been running TTC for a couple of days since reading it can eliminate a faulty VSV and it hasn't made a difference. Once these pipes have been changed I'll start looking elsewhere. All vac pipes seem to be ok.

Just swapping out mine now , What a Bitch!

Cant get off the front two bolts for the hard Turbo pipe , welded on

I am going to need a bigger Ratchet ;)

They better be collapsed inside!

Mate, I'm honestly not looking forward to doing it. I'm actually planning on doing mine at JAE so hopefully wont run into any serious hurdles...

Just finished

• Complete intake pipe out
  • Front turbo hard plpe and loom bracket tray so you can get at the bolts for the pipe
  • 4 jublie clips on the link pipes
  • Section of the. Greedy intercooler piping removed over by the intake

Tools needed are a 10mm and 12mm , socket extentions , 1/2 and 1/4 drive rachcets, Philips and flat head screwdrivers

Link pipe removal is messy, pulling and pushing , same to get the new ones back in ; tight squeeze

Might make life easier to remove the rear turbo pipe too but the by is up against the firewall so up to you

I would estimate 1-1.5 hrs for a novice mechanic like me

My pipes are not too bad on a 21 year old car, not bad enough to cause enough restriction to imped performance

Loom Bracket Tray

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

I also have same problem, 1997 vvti TT auto tiptronic, was hitting 1.2 bar in mode 2 on my ebc , now only hitting 1.0 bar intermittent. Have new link pipes from whifbitz to fit tomorrow, have also checked condition of impellers on both turbos( no problems there) checked all hoses for cracks ( none found) will replace all as_ matter of course, was_wondering if it may be boost controller solonoid? If any one can help would appreciate.

Gary.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Pricing these link pipes up at the moment.

£41 inc vat each from Toyota now!!!

Whifbitz £48 pair

JS performance £59.50 for 4 (two Supras)

I've seen many people getting them cheaper but am I not right in saying that they have to be fluoro lined silicone to prevent them from degrading?