The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2jz-ge engine, what manual gear boxes will fit?

Guest Joe_burtenshaw

Guest Joe_burtenshaw

I have a lexus 2jz-ge engine with an auto box, I want to change it to manual, what are the best manual boxes available that will fit? Many thanks joe

Guest Joe_burtenshaw
If it's going in a supra it's also tight at the bulk head with standard gearbox

It's being fitted to A kit car so space is not a huge problem. So if I brought a w58 box would it go onto the 2jz-ge engine?

Guest FullAttack

Loads of options... First off, ALL JZ's have the same fitment.. ie. You can put a NA W58 on a TT, and a TT V160 on an NA.. Also 1jz and 2jz fitment is the same...

W58 is ok on NA cars.. When on a turbo car they shit themselves pretty soon..

R154 is great, came on Mklll Supra, JZX's, Soarers.. Need to get the correct Bellhousing as Mklll supra 7m bellend is different to JZ.

V160 requires 2x credit cards..

BMW E46 M3 6spd Getrag is becoming more popular in the drift world, Great conversion kit available that makes it an easy(ish) conversion.. Solid box that'll take muchos power and be a load cheaper than v160. Lovely shift too.. This is what I have on my own JZ powered Altezza drift car.

I have a near complete r154 setup if interested, it's on eBay at £1300, I'll sell for £1150 outside eBay;)

Pm me if you wan any more details or advise:)

Guest Joe_burtenshaw

Hi full attack, thanks for your reply, I don't know to much about these engines as you can probably tell! Thanks for the offer of your r145, but I don't have that sort of money. Does any BMW e46 m getrag box fit? As I have just found this on eBay - 201048167705. Also do you know who sells the conversion kit for it? Sorry for all the questions! Thanks joe

Guest FullAttack

^ That's not true.. I use an E46 M3 6spd Getrag on my 1jz Altezza... You need a conversion kit, this setup costs a fair bit more than a typical R154 setup, but what you are getting is 2 very different things....

I can not stress enough how important it is to use a proper setup, lashing something together is never going to end well...

You also need to put thought into what final drive the gearbox uses.. There isn't much choice when it comes to Toyota diff ratios so your choice of box needs to work with at least one of the Toyota diff ratios.

The E46 M3 box has 3.66:1 , not to far from a 3.78:1 diff you can get for Toyotas.. However a 530d(and others) box use a 2.27:1 diff, this clearly is very different.

Edited by FullAttack (see edit history)

What isn't true?

You may find that it is slightly cheaper than going for a V160, but the car won't be worth as much, which cancels out any benefit. Then you have to get bespoke parts when things go wrong, such as the propshaft, flywheel etc.

If you want a cheaper car, buy a manual Soarer, and save many hours of headaches.

Guest FullAttack
Other than the V160/V161, W58 and R154, no manual gearboxes fit.

This is 100% not true.

You would require a custom bellowing, clutch/flywheel, propshaft, mounts etc, plus relocating the shifter and customising the wiring / speedo drive.

And this is partially true. There's kits available to use all sorts of boxes, another common conversion is the 350z 6spd.. All of which have parts available off the shelf.. You can also buy a bellhousing off the shelf to fit Tremec T56.. And another bellhousing to fit a T1/T10 fitment sequential dogboxes from nascars....

You are right in saying a prop shaft will need to be made, a shifter modified, and wiring to make speedo work. But when it costs a lot less than a v160 setup they are viable options for many people. Hell I can get a 4spd sequential dogbox setup for less than a v160 setup.

Particularly with drifting, boxes break.. Yes v160's take more power and abuse than most.. But imagine replacing a v160 if it broke, then image replacing an M3 box that costs £500.. The M3 box is pretty much as strong as a v160 anyway, so chances are it won't break.

In the respect of simple bolt on packages, you are right in saying V160-W58-R154.. But nowadays the price of these boxes has gotten to a point where other options are more cost effective.

Edited by FullAttack (see edit history)

I really don't get why people buy Supras, and then just try and cut corners. If you can't afford the parts, buy a different car. I wouldn't even consider buying a Supra that had another gearbox bodged into it. And that's exactly what you're doing, and none of the gearboxes you mention fit without the use of a lot of custom parts. What happens when one of these parts fails? Your car off the road for days or more.

As someone who claims to be involved in motorsport (drifting), I would think you would appreciate how important quick parts delivery is.

I was talking more in general. The number of people who think ira a good idea trying to convert a perfectly good TT auto to a W58.

But speaking of Kit cars, a Jz series engine would be gar down my list of engines. They're far too heavy for a lightweight car.

Because people are a) poor b) uneducated c) can't appreciate how effing good the auto is but Im going for d) because the 6 speed is vastly overpriced. People can say what they like about limited supply which is true I suppose, and supply vs demand means prices are high but, its a terrible gearbox, strong no doubt but terrible in the shift department. I really thought the first one I drove was broken, but apparently thats how they all are.

And as for perfect kit car engines, I wish I was rich, then I could build a 4 rotor Caterham :D

Because people are a) poor b) uneducated c) can't appreciate how effing good the auto is but Im going for d) because the 6 speed is vastly overpriced. People can say what they like about limited supply which is true I suppose, and supply vs demand means prices are high but, its a terrible gearbox, strong no doubt but terrible in the shift department. I really thought the first one I drove was broken, but apparently thats how they all are.

And as for perfect kit car engines, I wish I was rich, then I could build a 4 rotor Caterham :D

I've found the shift quality of the Getrags to vary hugely. The one on my single was the best I've used, which was nigh on perfect - short shift, weighty but direct, with a satisfying 'click' into each gear - I'm guessing it had a short shifter of some description fitted in japan. The one on my 6 speed NA was okay, but noticeably worse. Some are really terrible and vague.

The gearknob makes a huge difference too, well weighted ones are always better on heavy shifting boxes like the V160.

A 4 rotor Seven would be utterly bonkers! :D I raise you your quad rotor with this... :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Sabre

Guest Nicholas

Once you add a decent short shifter into the mix the gearbox is incredible. Excellent shift.