The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine warning lights not working

Elmo

My warning light's (ABS, oil pressure, oil level etc.) should illuminate when the ignition is turned on, then go out. I've just noticed that none of them are illuminating. The warning light's on the opposite side (seatbelt, door open etc.) are working fine.

Any ideas why the lights might not be working, do they have their own fuse?

Cheers!

possibly not but it's the 90% cause of failure. You could have a drive up to me in Stockport and I'll fix it for you if you like :)

Thanks very much for the offer, but your about 90 miles or so from me. I will have a look at the weekend, and might get back to you :thumbs:

Amazing. People drive over a hundred for pancakes but not to get a car fixed! ;)

I definitely wouldn't drive that far for pancakes, they're nice but not that nice!

I'd prefer to check it out first, it could be as simple as the connector coming loose or something, if I draw a blank I'll get back to you.

Thanks again.

I've just had a fiddle.

It looks like there is a loose wire on the connector. I unplugged it, then pushed it back in and turned the ignition on, hey presto the lights illuminated. I turned the ignition off, with a bit of pushing an wiggling got the cowel back in place, turned the ignition back on....no lights. Took it back out, and with the ignition on just touched the connector and the lights came back on. I managed to get the cowel back in place and screwed on without the lights going out, but I have a feeling that the next time I hit a pot hole or speed bump they'll probably go off again.

I'll keep and eye on it, but if the problem persists I'm not sure how to fix it, new connector perhaps?

Mine was the same elmo, came on when wriggling the wires so I thought the same as you but like everyone else said above, you'll need to solder it. I done that and mines sorted. Cheapest thing to try first dude

What did you solder, the wires going into the connector, or something on the PCB?

There should be pictures on here. It's an old fault and I remember seeing pictures when I fixed my first one over ten years ago. It is very simple though. When you take the whole thing out of that top piece of dash you can see the spikey bits previously mentioned. Daub a blob of solder flux on them there spike ends, heat up a soldering iron and dab a blob of solder on it. Touch said blob on each spike in turn until the solder surrounding the spike shines up and you can see it flow. Remove iron from spike. Et voila you should have fixed it.

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/trac_off_mil_odo/index.html

Can't find the one on here but that tech article takes you through the whole thing

Edited by dangerous brain (see edit history)

There should be pictures on here. It's an old fault and I remember seeing pictures when I fixed my first one over ten years ago. It is very simple though. When you take the whole thing out of that top piece of dash you can see the spikey bits previously mentioned. Daub a blob of solder flux on them there spike ends, heat up a soldering iron and dab a blob of solder on it. Touch said blob on each spike in turn until the solder surrounding the spike shines up and you can see it flow. Remove iron from spike. Et voila you should have fixed it.

Can't find the one on here but that tech article takes you through the whole thing

Thank you good sir

Brilliant, thanks for the info :thumbs: