The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota mr2 question

CraigD0404

Im just wondering if anyone has any experiences or knowledge of mk2 mr2's? a friend of mine is on the look out for one and im just wondering what to look out for? they are old cars and I know a lot now are higher mileage, are the engines and gearboxes anywhere near as strong as the sups? I am sure I read somewhere that rust was the main problem with these, is the correct or are there other common problems? and basically is it worth him pursuing one of these or will it just be a money pit? cheers :D

Im just wondering if anyone has any experiences or knowledge of mk2 mr2's? a friend of mine is on the look out for one and im just wondering what to look out for? they are old cars and I know a lot now are higher mileage, are the engines and gearboxes anywhere near as strong as the sups? I am sure I read somewhere that rust was the main problem with these, is the correct or are there other common problems? and basically is it worth him pursuing one of these or will it just be a money pit? cheers :D

I just scrapped one today!

You can get them for very little money, but yeah they are old, and they dont seem to have held up as well as our trusty supras.

What revision would he be going for? Also, Turbo - non turbo?

I owned one a couple of cars before the Supra.

The forums suggested above are the best places to look.

Build quality is good just not as good as a Supra, engines can be fiddly to work on and bodywork prone to rust underneath, particularly sills.

Good summer fun though.

I owned a few mk2 tubbies, as said, IMOC is a great forum full of info.

Great cars, good engines and loads of fun.

Arches prone to rusting.

Personally go for anything Revision 3 and newer (1994 onwards).

They are a single, twin entry turbo, so watch out for people trying to sell them as twin turbos.

Black ones are fastest! :D

Personally, stick the Camry 3.0 V6 block in the stock body and you have amazing car!

Check out Woodsport for more info.

Or, get a mk1 MR2 and launch the 2.0 turbo engine in! Amazing! Is called an MR2 1.5

Me and you will need to have words once I'm back from Canada. I've been thinking of getting an MR2 for a good wee while

Me and you will need to have words once I'm back from Canada. I've been thinking of getting an MR2 for a good wee while

I could bore you to death with MR2 related tales lol (in fact I can bore anyone to death on just about any subject haha) :rlol:

I have a Rev 3 N/A which will be going to the scrap shortly if there are no takers! If someone picks it up you can have it. It's a complete car (minus the wheels and rear lights/centre panel) but hasn't been run in a good while. Good start point for someone wishing to go the 3ltr V6 route.

• 2 weeks later...

This was mine with some Supra rims before its respray:

Look at the door sills, they're a common rust area, if its kitted get under the car and see if you can see under the skirts, passenger side is the usual one, but check both. Ask the owner to remove the trim under the frunk (it's just a few easy clips) then check the firewall for any damage, that'll tell you if its had a smash.

Other than that its the usual suspension knocks, smoke etc if its a turbo then check the turbo shaft for play, it should have zero side - side and minimal in - out.

Absolute max boost is 1.2bar on a stock engine, personally I kept mine to 1bar.

As long as the body work and engine is good, you should be okay suspension parts are cheap, it doesn't have expensive wishbones etc

As others have said, the MR2 doesn't have the build quality of the Supra, but it does give you a rush to drive, its less forgiving than the Supra and more on limit of putting you backwards into the ditch at every corner. I never span mine but came close quite a few times on track.

I still have a few MR2 bits in the garage so if there's anything they need give me a shout, I'd be glad to get it out the garage :)

Edited by Matty_L (see edit history)

thanks for the replies guy they are appreciated, they are some very nice looking mr2's I have to say, I've never driven one myself but I've heard they are fun would love the noise of a nice sounding engine right behind me :D but 18k for a veilside kitted supra, wonder I would get that for mine now? haha

I had my rev1 turbo for 9 years before moving on to the supe.

Was bone stock when I got it, and it went through various guises over the years, where I settled on this:

All done at home in my spare time, was sad to see her go

that is very impressive I have to say, they are very good looking cars. I can imagine it being tough, but you must prefer the supe?

Thanks buddy :)

In a word, yes !

Although, they are two completely different beasts. The mr2 is an absolute hoot on the b roads, mine was far from stock in the engine and suspension departments, in fact, far from stock all round really !

But the supra is more heavy duty, feels more planted, faster, and a nicer place to be in :thumbs:

Natural progression you could say..........