The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra suspension question

nero_slk

Hi all,

Just got my new Supra, have a few questions:

Installed my new alloys today and the car is a lot lower at the back. It used to have tein coilovers all round but front was replaced with Koni shocks and random springs.

so its sits like this

Koni shocks in the front

front

So the question is- how to make it lower at the front? can I install lowering springs on those shocks? and which ones would be best to buy?

Thanks

Dimitry

I drive with Koni shocks with Eibach springs on them. You can also lower the spring on the shock by moving the smaller circlip to the lower position underneath the spring seating. You can already see the groove for it on the picture.

I may have some springs still for the front at my mates garage, the brand were unknown but were on the Bilsteins I brought. I believe they lowered the car around 40mm at a guess.

The only reason I still may have them is it was one of the rear springs that got weak so I got some teins instead.

So new springs it is then :) when could you let me know?

Also, got JDM N/A and need rear brake pads, having trouble finding a set as they appear to be 1 pot (smaller jdm brakes)

Looking to replace the gearknob (recommendations/pics?) And maybe short shift as it feels like a truck (those ebay sets any good?)

Thanks

I wouldn't know until the weekend at the earliest, my mates on maternity leave so would have to ask him if he is going over there.

You could get some new springs like Gmax for around £120 iirc.

These guys might be able to help with pads, try looking at their their bigger list when you scroll down as there a few varieties (first picture said out of stock for one type) or call them http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/

Gearknow... Ebay? If it's a 5 speed manual and the leather is going then it isn't too bad if you just remove the leather underneath.

I dont mind waiting for a good used set ...

It is a 5speed manual but has some rice carbon effect thing :D... need something more original looking yet special...

Getting parts for a J-spec is quite hard... need to find a suitable oil filter and 10w40 castrol semi s. 6l?

Ok so going to pkay around with the suspension on the days off...

Rear teins should be easy, as they are just simple coilovers....

Fronts are the Koni adjustable shocks.... can someone give me a good idea how to adjust them? Is it possible to do it without removing them as thats a big job and idd possibly replace droplinks and springs if I had to take them off... did find some info that the spring needs to be compressed? (Can I conpress the spring while its on the car and then to the adjustment and let it go again? Or is it 100% take out job.

Thanks for the advice guys!!

The Konis are meant to be adjusted to compensate for valve and piston seal wear, not so much as to tailor their damping. You need to take the units off, compress the springs, undo the top nuts with an air gun (DO NOT mark the chrome with grips on the piston rods, they WILL leak afterwards). Then pull up the lower spring seats and move the square section circlips down to the lower grooves and re-assemble.

But mate, surely Koni woult not make a supra look like a tractor on stock springs and no adjustment... so it means I got wrong springs? Or they were adjusted incorrectly when installed?

Think I might just buy a second hand Bilstein set... as my setup seems just wrong from the start....

Then just sell the Koni front shocks (as im aware 4x brand new were 600$?) And sell the Tein coils from the back (400£ new 4x set?) .....

So I might start looking for another suspension :)

Well, it's a matter of fashion and personal opinion as to whether it looks like a tractor. But that's why your Konis have two spring seat circlip grooves, so with the same springs you can have stock ride height, as it is now, or a lower ride height. Konis are an excellent damper, I would be loathe to change them for something inferior. Do you follow what i am saying about the two grooves?

Yep, I do, they are on the top groove now....

Thanks for your help! I just ordered a set of 4 original Bilsteins (as the car looks low enough on original alloys, so should be sitting nice with my r18 leggeras.... dont think it will be as high as it is now aswell... )

So my shocks and coilovers will be for sale soon... any ideas how much can I ask for nearly new Koni fronts? (They literally done less than 1k miles)