• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you have these 45° stripes in your cylinders ? They look almost polished :0

I see ARP stuffs there just like on my build

Yeah the cylinders were honed as well. They've got oil coating them there when the pistons were inserted so it's hard to see :)

Oh and you did you take the ball bearing out of the block or not ?

Not sure on that one to be honest, I'd have to ask

Cool photos man. You going to stick with stock intake then after the rebuild?

Did you do billet mains?

I'd love to get an engine build up. I'd love to get myself a vvti NA head for all that though.

Thanks dude. Unfortunately yes, for the time being at least. Just wasn't in the budget at the moment as I'd much prefer to get a decent one and get the fuel system sorted out while I'm there as well. Didn't bother with billet mains as the rods and ARP 2000 bolts will go before the mains do :D

I'd been wanting a VVTi head as well for mine as it's probably the cleanest way to get onto CoP. Managed to do that with a small kit that I'll try and get pics of so I'm just going to be missing the VVTi cam really. Not sure I'd like an interference engine with all forged components in there now :D

Yeah I did read vvti is interference.

I've gone CoP just by using the dizzy sensor. Whifbitz sorted it for me. Hopefully cop will give better control. I ran 501hp with the dizzy though so it's got some potential for those who have the willingness to keep them.

Good choice on the intake. I upgraded but sadly used a low quality throttle body. Keep that in mind if you go down that route!

So 600hp on stock intake. that will be cool to see mate!

Yeah I did read vvti is interference.

I've gone CoP just by using the dizzy sensor. Whifbitz sorted it for me. Hopefully cop will give better control. I ran 501hp with the dizzy though so it's got some potential for those who have the willingness to keep them.

Good choice on the intake. I upgraded but sadly used a low quality throttle body. Keep that in mind if you go down that route!

So 600hp on stock intake. that will be cool to see mate!

Ahh did you just cap off the dizzy on display outside the engine then? Tidy way to go about it as well :thumbs:

I'll bare that in mind mate, thanks. Would love a drive by wire to bring things up to date a little more but will see what happens. I don't think my AEM v2 can support it :(

Fingers crossed for a number up there! Highest Whifbitz seem to have done on the exhaust mani is 510hp though with Josh's car so it might top out around there until I change the manifold...it's never ending!

So the engine has now been fully re-assembled and dropped back into place :cool:

I got the front engine cover trimmed to accommodate the cam sensor from Goleby's that was installed as well. Coil packs are also in

attachment.php?attachmentid=233303&stc=1&d=1568359076

attachment.php?attachmentid=233304&stc=1&d=1568359076

attachment.php?attachmentid=233305&stc=1&d=1568359076

attachment.php?attachmentid=233306&stc=1&d=1568359184

I've got a few extra bits that I need to pick up such as radiator and wastegate hoses that have perished over the years. A new radiator is also on the way as I thought it would be a good time to install a thicker TT core to deal with the extra heat. I quite like the OEM look so decided for an OEM styled unit from Keron.

Engine Dropped Back in.jpg

Engine In Place.jpg

Cam Sensor Notched.jpg

Coil Packs In.jpg

That's it there dude: https://www.golebysparts.com.au/products/2jzge-trigger-kit-golebys-parts-distributor-delete?variant=15746018213997

I'll probably hit a restriction in the exhaust mani at around 510-550hp which is a shame as it would've gone on to 600hp otherwise :(

That kit has a little plug that you just pop into the hole the dizzy usually sits in so it looks nice a flush now. The whole dizzy assembly as well as coil and wiring is now gone :D

Edited by Style (see edit history)

Very nice build thread.

I've just recently order the Whifbitz NA-T Kit and would start putting it together soon.

Chosen to go with the Borgwarner 61mm same size but the sxe turbo with the billet wheel i think.

Also im using a oem tt headgasket to reduce the compression ratio, and getting the head serviced and resurfaced. Will this be enough to run about 400hp to the wheels at like 15psi or should i keep the oem compression ratio.

Everything else is stock, dizzy, intake, block, cams, etc. Has got spec stage 3+ clutch, 775 FIC Injectors, walbro 255.

Hoping to see how much the whifbitz log manifold actually makes because this is something that will bother me in the future too (haha)

Very nice build thread.

I've just recently order the Whifbitz NA-T Kit and would start putting it together soon.

Chosen to go with the Borgwarner 61mm same size but the sxe turbo with the billet wheel i think.

Also im using a oem tt headgasket to reduce the compression ratio, and getting the head serviced and resurfaced. Will this be enough to run about 400hp to the wheels at like 15psi or should i keep the oem compression ratio.

Everything else is stock, dizzy, intake, block, cams, etc. Has got spec stage 3+ clutch, 775 FIC Injectors, walbro 255.

Hoping to see how much the whifbitz log manifold actually makes because this is something that will bother me in the future too (haha)

Good choice mate, the manifolds about the only part of the kit I would change but you'd have to take a massive price increase on the chin as well so it's one or the other really. I'm going to try and get as much out of this kit as I can and will report back :)

Power wise, you'd make about 400hp at the flywheel without the TT headgasket at around 1bar. I made 393hp at that setup on what was evidently a tired engine lol. So a TT headgasket and the rest of the setup you've got will get you 400hp at the tyres quite easy I'd say...maybe needs more boost though as lower compression needs more boost to make the same power as a high compression setup.

What gearbox are you running? I'm guessing that'll be your weak point?

Wow that's an expensive kit! That cost more than twice my coils lol blimey lad!

Be nice to see how far you can push the log manifold. Dont want your exhaust gases getting too hot!

Yeah it's quite steep I'll agree lol It's aussie dollars mind so about 2:1 on the exchange rate. Got a few other parts from them too as part of the rebuild so got a small discount with the bulk order. It's the oil pump, trigger wheel and cam gears that make up the bulk of the price.

I've got 2 EGT sensors to go on as well :cool: Going to sit one either side of the turbo on the manifold and downpipe. My 1/8" NPT bungs showed up this morning so going to get them mocked up this afternoon.

• 11 months later...

So there'e been a few more updates to the car since last time round.

Everything was all buttoned up and the engine run in for around 800 miles. Car behaved great and other than a questionable clutch engagement which turned out to be a knackered master cylinder, it felt ready for mapping :D

The day before the first mapping date, 2 injectors failed and were just pouring fuel into the cylinder every time the rail was primed. So that meant switching them out for some Bosch 1000cc upgrades. This now meant that the intercooler was the limiting component and with Mishimoto doing their R-Line 4" cores for a few hundred quid, I picked one of those up at the same time.

This meant that the first mapping date was missed and I had to re-schedule. Prior to the second mapping day, we took the car out for some road mapping and discovered that the intercooler pipework and hose joiners weren't really up to added boost levels

attachment.php?attachmentid=237538&stc=1&d=1598435249

attachment.php?attachmentid=237539&stc=1&d=1598435249

So now I've decided to sack off the stock intake and have a FFIM built with revised pipwork and some sturdier clamps/hoses. Fingers crossed the car will then FINALLY make it to the dyno. At least this has all happened in the midst of a global pandemic and all events have been cancelled anyway. So I've not missed out on tooooo much

Blown Intercooler Hose 1.JPG

Blown Intercooler Hose 2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...