The mkiv Supra Owners Club

battery problem

peter richards

got a red top optima , cars been sornd over the winter and garaged , I noticed that it didn't seem to hold a charge for very long , so I decided to charge it up today , but just went out and the charger says its still charging but the battery is red hot and giving off a hissing sound , so ive taken it off the car , is this fooked

Sounds bad, i had a battery explode on me last month trying to jump start one that was past its best (not the supra)

Luckily there was very little battery acid left and it didn't spew out enough to hit anyone. The hissing sound could be (at a guess) the battery becoming dry and similar to how mine went.

If you take the car to halfords they can tell you if its damaged and needing replaced by running a diagnostic check for free.

But common sense might tell you it shouldn't really be red hot and hissing at you should it. To me that's a warning tot to continue charging it. Stay safe, you don't want battery acid on you. That experience I had gave me a new respect for the potential harm the battery can do, it was like a gunshot and popped my ears.

Edited by Marcus GTE (see edit history)

looks like its gone then another waste of money ,and the cars not even been out of the garage , plus I had to change the connectors to fit the poxy thing

Happens if you don't start car, mine drive fine soon as I turned engine off left it for 5 minutes it was not taking charge completely dead.

Unless you have a trade card at Halfords i'd look elsewhere, there was a battery thread very recently with

an online company supplying quality batteries for nearly half of Halfords prices inc free delivery

Get a CTEK battery charger next time you leave it for any length of time

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Guest Roger NE

Forget any shop telling which battery you must buy for your car - you'll find there's LOADS of different batteries that will actually fit . . .

Whenever I'm buying a new battery for ANY car, I always measure the maximum tray dimensions and height, note which way round the terminals are, then go to half a dozen local Motor Factors with my tape measure and see what they have that will fit.

At any given time they will happen to have particular batteries in stock and on special offer . . . so I just buy the biggest (in capacity) and best value one that I can afford that will physically fit.

Edited by Roger NE (see edit history)