The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The definitive battery thread

Ian C

Hi all. One thing that crops up regularly is getting a new battery for your Supra. I'm in this situation now as my poor deep-cycled-to-buggery-over-three-years-old battery needs replacing. I know some of you on here have all this ampage and cranking hours malarky sussed out already, so for the new up-and-coming FAQ section I'd like a few ideas on what we need for a new battery, good places to get them from,and an idea of what they will cost :)

-Ian

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Replaced mine last Thursday. Didn't shop around as I was in a hurry, so went to "Halfrauds". Bought a 65A/H, 510 cold crank amps for £50. Fires up first time, every time without any of that "starter motor hang up" that I used to get (Famous last words!!). I think it was a HCB 005.

Originally posted by Lazarus

Replaced mine last Thursday. Didn't shop around as I was in a hurry, so went to "Halfrauds". Bought a 65A/H, 510 cold crank amps for £50. Fires up first time, every time without any of that "starter motor hang up" that I used to get (Famous last words!!). I think it was a HCB 005.

i need one too. the hcb 005 is the calcium battery on offer at £55 or the hb 005 is £50. so does anyone know the benefits of a calcium battery?

Originally posted by leett

i need one too. the hcb 005 is the calcium battery on offer at £55 or the hb 005 is £50. so does anyone know the benefits of a calcium battery?

Basically they're more powerful (compare the cold start amps) and are sealed so they don't ever need to be topped up or anything. Well worth an extra fiver.

I've got the Halfords HBC005 too.

Originally posted by SupraStar 3000

I also due for a new battery next week but didn't know imports had a smaller nut on top. :(

I've never heard anyone else having a problem, when I got mine it had a piddly little battery in it, about 25Ah I think it was!!!

Just check you terminals on the battery you've got (I took a little plastic clip off the battery and took it with me to Halfords).

Originally posted by SimonB

Basically they're more powerful (compare the cold start amps) and are sealed so they don't ever need to be topped up or anything. Well worth an extra fiver.

I've got the Halfords HBC005 too.

thanks simon, i'll go for that one

i have had so much trouble with batterys. have had 3 on supra and this one on now had been stood for ages and is playing up. it drains completly flat. have bought a battery jump starter and carry that around. i have not had this battery on too long too. its a slim type with small terminals. not sure if my altanotor is playing up or if the battery has gone tits up.

this time i fancy getting a real heavy duty one thats going to last.

anyone know that the batterys with the yellow and blue tops that the americans all seem to use. what about a high performance light weight cost?

anyone know about the ones with colour tops, any specs ?

thanks

i have bought lots of batterys over the years for various cars.

what about putting in some FAQ on testing batterys and altanators

keep all the info in one place.

i bet everybody has suffered with the fast clicking it does. dont know whats up with mine as when im running about and turn car off then start it up its ok. just dies if i dont go in supra for a day or so.

does my head in :(

You're right. I checked my receipt and I did pay £55 for a calcium battery (bad memory).

I had trouble finding one for my j-spec because of the different terminals. Might be worth mentioning in the FAQ.

Mine's a J-spec, I didn't have any trouble with the terminals, they were exactly the same, it doesn't look like the cables have been changed either, unless they were done very early in the cars life.

The battery I took off was a 60A/H 450 cold crank amps, is that a standard battery?

Monkey get yourself an Optima Yellow top and you should be looking to mount it in the boot, in front of the rear axle...actually behind the passenger seat would be better, as you're so into your Drag Racing :) :thumbs:

I thik any battery has to be capable of 500+ Cold Crank Amps and that mean it can't be "Light weight" you need a big effing battery :)

Originally posted by Lazarus

Mine's a J-spec, I didn't have any trouble with the terminals, they were exactly the same, it doesn't look like the cables have been changed either, unless they were done very early in the cars life.

Many other j-spec owners said that when I first mentioned my battery problems. But still worth a mention to anyone who's thinking of getting a new battery just in case. Something to check at least.

If you're going to leave your car without starting it for ages you need a different type of battery to one that you want to provide loads of current for cold starts. Some batteries are good at powering a small current for ages (like the alarm etc when you're parked up for ages, or car stereos with the engine off) - these are the deep cycle ones. Most are good at providing a lot of current for brief periods - i.e. cold starts (the cold reduces the power of batteries). Then you get some that are good at both. One of the optimas is like that (can't remember which), but they are so expensive that unless you are planning on running your stereo for ages without the engine running or something I don't think there's much point IMHO.

I got the premium supreme lucas battery the other week and its probably the best battery i've got for a car! the car now starts instantly every time without fail! its got over 600Amps cold crankage and 68 amp hours.. i also bought new battery terminals from sexons.

Guest Usmann A

Exide Maxima Deep cycle 900DC Gel battery.

Still for 10 months, and fired up a car no probs.

Weights a bomb tho.

Upon trying to trickle charge it after 10 months, it didnt need it, the battery tester actually got warm and the needle jumped to the full side. :thumbs:

Before, wed too hav many probs, but this seems to be ok.

The Red Top Optima is the one that will hold charge for extended periods of non-use, but bear in mind that's assuming there is NO continious current draw. They're designed for plant vehicles. So to get an Optima to work for you, when you som to leave it for a long period, you also need to disconnect the battery terminals, so obviously, it needs to be in a safe place.

The battery termainal problem seems to be on all Supra's from facelift onwards.

The terminals are fairly easy to change over, and not too expensive to buy. Well worth doing to save you having to shop around for one of those piddly batteries with naff terminals.

A question was asked regarding the benefits of Calcium-Calcium batteries.

Atrade flyer I recently read states:

With a few exceptions all 12volt car batteries are "lead/acid flooded". The plates in these batteries are made from a lead alloy, until recently this alloy was Antimony but over the last few years premiun batteries have changed this alloy to Calcium.

They are still "lead/acid flooded" the "Calcium only highlights the change of alloy.

Benefits : Significantly lower Grid corrosion leading to longer life.

Effectively zero water loss in normal service making them 100% maintenance free.

18 months storage time from manufacture to fitment.

Cold Cranking and Amp Hour ratings match and often exceed O.E. Specification.

Suitable for vehicles with Smart Charge Systems.

Definately worth the extra money if you will be keeping the car for a couple of years.

Originally posted by Matt Harwood

The battery termainal problem seems to be on all Supra's from facelift onwards.

The terminals are fairly easy to change over, and not too expensive to buy. Well worth doing to save you having to shop around for one of those piddly batteries with naff terminals.

Mine's a facelift and my terminals are fine. Could be VVTi onwards?