The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The definitive battery thread

Ian C

thinking out loud but can you not just put the battery in the other way around , if the negative terminal is nearest the wing, do a 180 with the unit , negative terminal is furthest away from the wing

Maybe I am missing something; my battery is in the boot

I did give that a go with my previous battery, there wasn't enough length for the positive to stretch over to the rhs though. In the end I just extended the cables with some fresh stuff, looked a lot better.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do I stop my positive terminal from popping off?!

It did it again today, and messed everything up.

The actual terminal itself or the clamp? If it's the terminal then I would replace the battery as that doesn't sound right at all. If it's the clamp then it sounds like it's the wrong size for the battery.

The actual terminal itself or the clamp? If it's the terminal then I would replace the battery as that doesn't sound right at all. If it's the clamp then it sounds like it's the wrong size for the battery.

The clamp is the right size for the terminal, but over time it loosens and pops off, much to my delight. I retorque it tight, but when it goes, it's kinda just hanging there. Should I renew the clamp, perhaps? An easy job?

The clamp is the right size for the terminal, but over time it loosens and pops off, much to my delight. I retorque it tight, but when it goes, it's kinda just hanging there. Should I renew the clamp, perhaps? An easy job?

If it's the right size and it's properly tightened then it wouldn't be able to loosen. It sounds like it's barely getting any bite on the terminal at all and loosening off with vibration. I would definitely look to get a new terminal but I would suggest that it's definitely not the right size on there currently.

• 3 weeks later...

Gone for this battery in the end

http://www.tayna.co.uk/Exide-EP450-DUAL-AGM-Battery-Maxxima-MAX900DC-P7502.html

http://www.tayna.co.uk/Exide-EP450-DUAL-AGM-Battery-Maxxima-MAX900DC-Reviews-7502.html

Cheaper than the Optima Yellowtop (£193 for the Optima, £162 for the Exide) if you hunt around, no problems fitting size wise, 750CCA and it's a 6-cell sealed unit, even has bolt on terminals which I will be switching to when I find an evening to rewire, also as it's 6 circular cells it's got mounting holes through the middle so you can bolt it down or even mount it sideways or upside down if you so desire.

Highly highly recommended, car cranks a lot better and car stays running at a higher voltage than my crappy old Yuasa.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Can someone advise about whether the battery in my Supra will do or I should look for another.

The standard battery spec according to a battery on line buying site is CCA 500 (kick over power) Amphere hours 60 (constant power)

The one I have is 540 and 55 . CCA is fine but the Amphere hours is less. Does this mean the alternator will have to work harder or is it splitting hairs and the battery will do?

Cheers

Well I bought my HCB005 in 2004, had it replaced in 2006 FOC and now it's on it's last leggs really (not bad 7yrs for the price of £55)so, going back to a Toyota one which, is a £24 saving over the price of the Halfords one these days and does come with a 3yr G-tee. I used the original part number of: T28800-YZZAE on my UK spec, from the one I bought in 2002 and it's still valid. £59 + VAT pickup on Saturday :)

I had to take my Toyota battery back last week as it would not hold a charge over 11v but, they swapped it right out :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Just thought I would bump this as at the weekend I changed my stock Toyota battery after two years under Toyota's three year warranty. No quibbles at all, just a quick test and I walked out with a new battery :)

Thread bump as I did the same, great battery the Halfords HCB005

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

From my post #65, mines died.

Struggled to find another one off the shelf easily.

But got a Duracell Advance DA45 with 5yr warranty.

My battery is the much smaller Type 156 with T3 small terminals.

Eurocar parts £55 inc VAT.

Chart.jpg

Terminal Size.jpg