The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Kendo's Ridox Rep

Kendo11

Thanks for viewing my thread. This is more of a tinker and general repair, although most recent updates give show I'm planning quite a lot.

Picked up my car from a fellow forum member at the start of October, who kindly tidied the car up a bit by removing some headlight eyebrows and refitting the stock bumper as opposed to the Bomex one that was on it, as per picture:

attachment.php?attachmentid=177493&stc=1&d=1385148073

When I picked it up;

The interior is pretty much almost 'done'. Superb JVC stereo, Defi gauges and controller, re trimmed in a carbon-effect look, EL Glo dials, Razo pedals, Edge Street double sub and amp.

The things on my list to change are the steering wheel, handbrake lever and gear knob. As well as eventually the seats. The sub is also loosely sat on the rear seats (I have them folded down), I want to build or move the enclosure though so I can have it hidden and have the seats up, especially now I've got a boot blind courtesy of Dude.

attachment.php?attachmentid=177494&stc=1&d=1385148589

It has VS sideskirts and rear spats, I know VS stuff is sometimes frowned upon but I love the skirts and spats. Although I do want to change the rear bumper for a something like a Trial one at some point, as well as removing the reflectors from the spats. Also sat on some lovely black AVS wheels with blue caliper details, and sat on yellow Bilsteins;

attachment.php?attachmentid=177495&stc=1&d=1385148769

Nice clean engine bay, although the car says it's on 180000ish KM, an engine with only around 55000 M went in a few months ago, so it's barely ran in yet! Several other newer ancillaries too - gearbox, clutch, radiator etc. Also running a full Japspeed decat system.

attachment.php?attachmentid=177496&stc=1&d=1385148942

Plans for the very near future - get it undersealed before the serious winter season gets here, as it's my daily driver.

Get the cambelt and plugs done (already bought these, just need to sort out some time so I can go visit Swampy).

Tidy up the wrapping on the lights, one side indicator needs doing, and I may look to see what I can do with the rear lights too.

Look at the air intake system and remove some restrictive stock parts.

Other bits and bobs such as get the headlights taken apart and cleaned up - the yellowness really spoils the car at the minute.

Other parts such as strut braces, and a new front bumper or lip. I have to confess after owning the car for one week I pulled in too close at work and split the front lip a little on a kerb. Idiot.

Eventually either a full respray or wrap, and I want to modernise as much as I can inside. I have owned old cars before but the rattling gets a little tiresome after a while!

THEN comes the hunt for power, I am keen to try to see what I can squeeze out of the NA before following suit and going NA/T, but we'll see how long it is before the power bug starts!

A Super GT replica is a long term goal, but almost 99% just a dream.

Advice/criticism/pointers all welcome!

DSCF0662.jpg

DSCF0668.jpg

DSCF0664.jpg

WP_20130927_001.jpg

Edited by Kendo11
Title change (see edit history)

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right in Lincoln itself mate, which has been a bit of a curse today as there have been about ten crashes all today. Wouldn't mind the idiots so much if I was in my battered old calibra!

Definitely want to see what I can squeeze out of the na first, there's a v8 build on here somewhere that looks interesting...

Yea I was there today, some women got run over by a bus so closed the high street. I'm down near sleaford.

Yea if you look near the top of the projects Ryan gs v8 twin turbo v8 build us cracking, something I want to do down the line!!

What model do you have/ gearbox

Edited by Fly (see edit history)

Great, thanks for clearing that up guys! Is there any reason the spats 'should' have those reflectors, or just part of the design?

Yeah I've seen an old service note that recommends changing the fan, would one of those double type ones I've seen on eBay do the job?

Looks like lincoln is getting more supra owners, good good.

Anyway good look with the build and will probably see you around some time.

Funny though I've only seen one other supra about lincoln. Many many years ago there was a fast and the furious replica about though the colour was grey/blue but besides that I've only seen two in lincs.

Kendo it's the box on the left of your last picture just left of the intake pipe behind the airbox, looks like it has a bracket on it

Funny though I've only seen one other supra about lincoln. Many many years ago there was a fast and the furious replica about though the colour was grey/blue but besides that I've only seen two in lincs.

Kendo it's the box on the left of your last picture just left of the intake pipe behind the airbox, looks like it has a bracket on it

If we're looking at the same part, then that's the drivers side headlights discharge box thingy... For the HID's. ESD box I think it may be labelled as? I forget, she's been gone a while now!

Looks like you got some good plans set up Ken, I still follow the updates with her whenever I fire up the forum :thumbs: Glad everything is going well, and good luck with the winter period on those fat tyres! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Very small updates for this weekend what with it being winter and all.

The previously sprayed side indicators were starting to look a bit old and tired, some paint flaking and coming away here and there so I resprayed them.

Also had my first attempt at wrapping something. I did the rear lights (L = now, R = before) and I like the look of them. This is temporary until I can save up a nice chunk of money and buy myself some LEDs, this may be in several years!

Also received the most important items I've got for the car a few days ago...

Pictures attached.

Have some engine dress up hoses to fit at some point, and need to finish rebuilding my sub box to fit in my boot a bit better.

Cheers.

20131221_144701.jpg

20131221_163322.jpg

20131221_154712.jpg

20131218_174719.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the wrap on the rears didn't last very long.

Not the very best quality and not what I wanted long term anyway.

Saw a 350Z at a local meet recently with some 'fly eye' wrap so went and bought that, and spent the latter part of this afternoon getting the old stuff off and the new stuff fitted, looks so much better, although the sun had departed by the time I had finished so I'll get some more pictures up tomorrow.

The first two are what it looked like stock, and with the other wrap on. The second two are with the fly eye.

£15 off Ebay for 1m x 50cm roll with a sunstrip too.

WP_000026.jpg

WP_000027.jpg

WP_000028.jpg

WP_000031.jpg

• 2 months later...

Relatively busy few weeks on the Supra, but not updated this for a while so here goes.

First of I ballsed up and cracked my lip parking too close to a kerb;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193532&stc=1&d=1414936039

So I ordered a couple of DIY Fibreglass kits from work to have a go at it myself, and decided to colour code it while I was at it.

Midway through the job;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193533&stc=1&d=1414936039

Sanding/rubbing down/painting done;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193535&stc=1&d=1414936039

That was where I encountered my first problem.

I was excessive in applying the fibreglass and as I was doing this all by hand ended up with simply too much to sand down to a perfect, level finish.

Looks pretty good from here though and not bad for a first attempt.

attachment.php?attachmentid=193536&stc=1&d=1414936039

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

Edited by Kendo11 (see edit history)

I then made all of that work on the lip completely redundant by buying a Do-Luck Type 1 from Al Massey via Ebay which myself and Swampy went to collect.

Whilst silver, it was I think Anthracite Metallic as opposed to the 199 Silver of mine, so some work had to be done.

Once again I could have paid £££s for this to be done professionally and perfect - but there was no point whatsoever when the entire car needs a respray at some point, and besides I was keen to show even if just to myself that a very good job can be made of rattle cans. Absolutely not professional quality, but with time and care a decent job can still be done.

Getting started in my man cave (proper DIY style spray booth!);

attachment.php?attachmentid=193537&stc=1&d=1414937219

Some of the materials used;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193538&stc=1&d=1414937219

Primed;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193539&stc=1&d=1414937219

Painted;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193540&stc=1&d=1414937219

Lacquered;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193541&stc=1&d=1414937219

The next step is letting it cure for 5 days or so, then to take the lacquer down to a matte finished, to then used a finishing compound like G3 to get that mirror finish.

This is all relatively easy to do but this is the biggest part I've ever attempted, obviously this is not an extensive guide, there's a hell of a lot of cleaning and sanding and tidying up and most of all patience involved after each step. Will get some more pictures up next week once fitted.

IMAG0353.jpg

IMAG0355.jpg

IMAG0362.jpg

IMAG0363.jpg

IMAG0365.jpg

Edited by Kendo11 (see edit history)

Next up, engine bay.

First off I fitted the K&N I got from Scott on here, as seen here bottom left, and then I got a ported throttle body and Y branch from Noz, after finishing the work on the internals (no pics unfortunately) I thought I'd do something with the outside, so used some high temp red paint to give the engine bay a bit of a freshen up, looks a tad orange due to the Sun being on my shoulder.

attachment.php?attachmentid=193543&stc=1&d=1414938151

attachment.php?attachmentid=193542&stc=1&d=1414938151

attachment.php?attachmentid=193545&stc=1&d=1414938151

Obviously plenty of more freshening up to do under there, I need to replace the main rad hoses from blue to red, and renew certain parts such as cambelt and plugs which are due.

Already noticed a difference in mid range pick up, the info is on here from when Herb had them and gained around 10hp from the items fitted and you can certainly notice it in the NA - every little helps.

Next jobs;

Fit Bumper

Remove and refit spats - untidy fitment

Disassemble front headlights and re-refurb

Disassemble rear lights an re-do fly eye masking - bit rough

Long term;

OEM sideskirts

Different spats although undecided which - possibly do-luck rear

TRD spoiler

Lower by approx 30mm

UK spec brakes

Renew interior