The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Refurbishing Service - Off the shelf swap information

Scott

Apologies if this is in the wrong area, I was between the for sale and chat. I didn't put it in for sale as I'm not actually advertising anything, but at the same time it's information about a service I am offering lol.

Ok so I've just received a couple of sets of headlights that I'm going to offer "off the shelf" so that you can immediately replace your headlights. I've been thinking about it and I can offer 2 options.

1. You send me your headlights, with payment, on the premise that yours are up to scratch. When I receive them I inspect them and if they are acceptable I will send you a nicely refurbished set within a day or so. If they are not to the standard that I am looking for then I can either send yours back at your cost or I can refurbish yours and then send them back. The advantage here is that no deposit will be required, disadvantage is that if the lights aren't to the standard I require then you will have to either wait a few days on me refurbishing yours or the cost of return will need to be covered.

2. You send me payment for the refurbishment + £80 to cover the headlights I'm sending you (as this is the least I would require to replace them). I send you a set of refurbished lights and you then send me yours for assessment. The advantages are that you have no wait time, the disadvantage here is that I am trusting the condition of unseen lights. I need the lights to be of a certain standard in order to replace the ones I am giving out. If your lights are not to the same standard then please do not try to send me them as I don't want to get into any disputes with anyone.

Ok, so now that the options are laid out as above... here is what I would be looking for with regards to your lights if you are looking to swap.

1. The plastic lens itself can be as discoloured as you like, I'm not at all concerned with this. I am, however, concerned with any notable scratches or chips. I'm looking to refurbish the lenses to a good standard so although the colour can be off, I need a decent standard lens in return.

2. The innards need to be in reasonable condition as far as the chrome rings go. The rest I'm not overly concerned about as there isn't a lot to see once they are put back together. As long as the rings are decent, the odd mark is fine, then I'm happy with that.

3. All brackets, rubbers, clips and filters should be complete and in place. Any metal clips/brackets/etc missing must be replaced with the ones I'll be sending you, or if you send the lights to me first I'll be swapping over anything that is missing from your lights.

Before sending you any lights I'll have detailed information regarding the off the shelf lights including any minor defects. I'll also have lots of pictures showing the condition of the lights you will be sent. All lights are sent at the buyers risk, when I return the lights they will always be sent with insured delivery up to £150 to compensate any losses.

Here are some pictures of the sort of condition I would be looking for. Note, the lenses are pretty clear on these lights... as said they don't need to be THAT good.

attachment.php?attachmentid=176439&stc=1&d=1383069048

attachment.php?attachmentid=176440&stc=1&d=1383069048

attachment.php?attachmentid=176441&stc=1&d=1383069048

attachment.php?attachmentid=176442&stc=1&d=1383069048

IMG_3790.JPG

IMG_3791.JPG

IMG_3793.JPG

IMG_3796.JPG

That's great Scott :)

Can you do anything with completely corroded chrome? That's the issue I have. The paint on the inner bits on mine is great apart from rusted rings :(

Rusted rings = painted rings unfortunately. I know that people have looked into re-chroming in the past but I can't see the process being at all worth the expense. Even a decent chrome paint would be silly money, the cans just look like sparkly silver lol.

Rusted rings = painted rings unfortunately. I know that people have looked into re-chroming in the past but I can't see the process being at all worth the expense. Even a decent chrome paint would be silly money, the cans just look like sparkly silver lol.

Bugger, I was hoping you might have some decent chrome effect paint up your sleeve! :D

Bugger, I was hoping you might have some decent chrome effect paint up your sleeve! :D

There are some very special chrome paints, with very expensive retail prices and very complicated processes, but the off the shelf tin ones aren't particularly good.