The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Homers '98 RSP TT project

Homer

Struggling with this fecking driveshaft nut... Tried again today with a scaffold pole but now I bent the short extension arm from the socket set. Time to buy a better one and try again.

Anyone got any bright ideas for removing the driveshaft nut from a non-runner? Heat?

You've removed the cotter pin right?

Yes mate :D

I don't know if heat is a good thing in the bearing. Would need to be a quick blast of proper hot so that the surrounding area didn't get a chance to soak.

Maybe a silly question... have you tried an impact gun?

That's a good point about the bearing and I agree. I've only got a handheld butane torch so it's probably not enough to get it hot very quickly. I haven't tried an impact gun, but would need to get a compressor for that (it was on my so called 'must have' list anyway). Will try again once I get a decent extension and if that doesn't work then it's next steps.

Thanks to all for the input

• 1 month later...
If you want me to come arround and look at it I can do. But keep in mind. That is LITERALLY all I'll be any good at doing :p. Hope you get it sorted mate

Haha, thanks for the offer, can you make coffee? :D

Finally got some work done today - got the hub nuts off after buying some Snap-On extension bars (And they came off easy, reminder to self again - only buy high quality tools!). Also freed up the rear brakes and lifted the car for the first time since it arrived here. Now need to get some slabs under the rear wheels and start raising it up high enough to get access to the diff and gearbox.

Also did some research on the hubs, shafts, etc. From what I found the UK and j-spec hubs are all the same, same goes for the driveshafts, EXCEPT the LH one which is shorter with the large diff. That means less work for the diff swap.

One step forward, two back.

Picked up a new battery and tow rope today. Got the car started on the first turn (first time in about 9 months), but a few seconds after the fuel return line burst (This was one of the unnecessary aftermarket bits added by the last garage and needed to be removed anyway - why would a BPU car need a -8 return?!). Turns out the braided line was held on by a much too large B&Q style hose clamp which has over time cause the line to split.

Also topped up the pressure in the tyres to have one of the valves blow out on the front. Need to get that fixed now

Then the tow rope I bought didn't fit. Got a replacement lower spec one, also didn't fit.

Going to try again on Sunday to see if things go better.

I also need advice on a clutch choice, will post in Tech for that.

Fuel leak - dumped a lot in a very short time!

attachment.php?attachmentid=211901&stc=1&d=1463276514

IMG_5772.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

It's been a while since this was updated and to be honest I've done absolutely bugger all on the car since then. It's grown a new layer of moss and lots of spiders have made it their home.

However after a change of job and with new enthusiasm (after the S-Club meet) I'm restarting work on it. One thing that's held me back is I can't get the car jacked up due to the skirts and rear bumper so after a lot of thought (and input from others) I've decided to go back to stock.

The bad news is that it revealed corrosion on the jacking points and welding work is going to be needed. I'll try and get some pictures over the weekend. The points are not strong enough to jack the car up as it's pushing the jack through the sill joints. However with the trial rear gone I can use the diff as a jack point which should mean I can get it raised up enough to do the gearbox removal.

Veilside skirts removed:

attachment.php?attachmentid=221116&stc=1&d=1500595864

IMG_0812.jpg

Good to hear the drive to get it done is back, such an amazing colour that deserves to be shown off, glad you're removing the trail rear Ive seen hundreds fitted over the few years and all they do is ruin the perfection that is a supra rear end ;)

Better to find that corrosion now then in a year or two though Homer, blessing in disguise taking them off now :thumbs:

Better to find that corrosion now then in a year or two though Homer, blessing in disguise taking them off now :thumbs:

Indeed, though I did have a suspicion it wasn't all good underneath. No idea why!

Jesus I'd actually forgotten you still have a Supra! Good to see you cracking on with it mate :thumbs:

I have two young man! The silver NA is my daily (slow) drive :) Only reason I don't bring it to meets is the suspension is very hard and my wife has large breasts, I can't stand the complaining :D

Indeed, though I did have a suspicion it wasn't all good underneath. No idea why!

I have two young man! The silver NA is my daily (slow) drive :) Only reason I don't bring it to meets is the suspension is very hard and my wife has large breasts, I can't stand the complaining :D

The vision that gives me beggars belief :D

Bumper and skirts are removed. They were both bonded on, the skirts came off without too much trouble but the trial rear didn't come off without a fight. It was bonded but also painted over. THe car will need to go to the paint shop anyway so I'm not too concerned.

Good news is the car is very straight underneath it all and there's no other visible damage from the bodykit. However getting the tiger seal off the rear quarters is going to be "fun"! Might leave that job to the bodyshop.... The rear crash bar is quite rusty but that's not unusual.

Next step is to get a low lift jack so I can finally get the rear end in the air for diff, driveshaft and prop removal. I also need to remove and replace the aftermarket fuel lines. They are far too big for my needs (10mm supply and return!) and at least one of them has split (Not great considering Jason bought these brand new and they were never actually used).

attachment.php?attachmentid=221177&stc=1&d=1500853602

IMG_0836.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

So, a few years later and an additional member of the family added it’s time to get this project done. It’s not been touched in the last 5 years but today we got started 

EvinX will be helping a huge amount with this project so massive thanks in advance to him! We live pretty close to each other and have been helping each other out on supra work/parts over the last year or so and he’s been pushing me hard to get this started!

Plan of attack… I own two supras, this one and a silver NA 5spd. I’m going to take the good parts of the silver NA and sell that. I have most things needed to get the rsp running but it needs some paint work so the sale of the silver car will help towards that.

1) remove all the good parts from the silver NA and replace with good standard ones. Some of those parts are currently on the rsp

2) sell silver car

3) rebuild the rsp with the current engine, but swap the auto for a 5spd w58. I know this is not a good option but it’s enough to get the car moving under its own power, mot’d etc.

4) get paint done and any engine work needed (suspect the head might need a rebuild)

5) replace the gearbox with something else. R154, T56, or zf8 hp are current options I’m considering, however I’m leaning towards the zf8

First major hurdle is to get the car safely raised up on the sloping driveway (note to self, never buy another house with one!). We got it raised up well enough so that tomorrow we can start removing the smaller brakes, large case UK spec diff (replacing it with a small case 4.1 Trd), driveshafts and possibly the hubs.

3CEB3B6F-F44E-4D5B-8D95-2D9620A7029C.jpeg

1892B314-D0A9-41BA-BA7D-EA6B8D3E4A72.jpeg

3A69091A-E182-4B67-B927-C82A81787EE4.jpeg

09F7E0AA-9FE5-4D96-AFD8-26B2174D1299.jpeg

05CBCA2B-8B3E-46A5-AADC-07A47BA09BD8.jpeg

6CC4B6E8-2AB4-43F8-B4DE-934702511177.jpeg

89608379-E3F0-4814-853D-6E4100B427FF.jpeg

54BB5A7A-1419-49FC-8496-394F0CC6B7F2.jpeg

084D2C39-48F7-4477-85E1-461DCCD20C5D.jpeg

5C09AD8F-F7EC-4AD1-8E37-2FDE7947C602.jpeg

DA580AB1-E3DD-41D9-9E39-ACBBF3C3DC04.jpeg

0D170D41-4DCA-4AB4-ADAD-7CD847F995EF.jpeg