The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coolant leak, but where from?

Mk4Gaz

Hi guys, went out for a quick drive this morning, just a gentle plod. Anyway, when I got home, I noticed I had a small coolant leak under the car.

I've had a look, and it appears to be coming from between the engine, and bulkhead. Its dripping on to the bell housing, and subsequently on to the floor.

I can't tell exactly where it is, and haven't started stripping it down yet, but wondered if there were any common places to look for?

Pretty sure its not the heater matrix pipes, as they are above the engine, this is definitely lower down. My guess is turbo coolant lines or throttle body coolant supply?

The problem I'm faced with, is to strip bits back, the engine needs to be cool, and when its cool, there's no leaks!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, at least it gives me a head start in tracing it :)

Pretty sure its not those dude, I remember reading your thread, and they were the first place I looked. I've felt around those pipes and they were bone dry.

I definitely think its in the same area, but lower down.

I could of course be wrong, its not unknown lol!

I'll whip the cam cover off tomorrow if I get a chance, and see if I can get a better look. I want to replace the coil plugs anyway :thumbs:

Now, just need to remember where I put the new coil plugs

Thanks for the suggestions guys, at least it gives me a head start in tracing it :)

Pretty sure its not those dude, I remember reading your thread, and they were the first place I looked. I've felt around those pipes and they were bone dry.

I definitely think its in the same area, but lower down.

I could of course be wrong, its not unknown lol!

I'll whip the cam cover off tomorrow if I get a chance, and see if I can get a better look. I want to replace the coil plugs anyway :thumbs:

Now, just need to remember where I put the new coil plugs

I had to take the hoses off to find the leak though, it was seaping at the back of the cover and then tripping further down the car so at first it didnt look like it was coming from the engine bay. It was leaking by the fuel filter there are some brake lines around there.