The mkiv Supra Owners Club

James' 1997 RZ VVTi T88-34D Single Turbo - Respray and new CCWs [pg 32]

James

Having owned my first Supra - a 1994 040 Super White II SZ NA-TT W58 5 speed manual - for almost 4 years, I evaluated whether I should continue to work with what I had and opt for a 6 speed conversion and eventually single turbo conversion on the car, or to shop around. I decided to make the decision to cut my losses and search for a new car.

I spotted a lovely 1998 VVTi RZ-S with a T04Z turbo kit and an astonishingly low 13k miles available in Japan that Jurgen posted up. I dwelled on the car for quite a while and eventually decided to go ahead and put a deposit down on it. Getting in contact with Jurgen, we got the ball rolling. Sadly, the car had actually sold in Japan a day or 2 before we could secure it and it wasn't to be. Having already committed to a new car of such a spec, I decided to leave my deposit in Jurgen's hands and find myself another car. Keeping in mind how high a standard I had chosen initially, it would have to be something pretty special for me to want to pull the trigger again. I was determined though! I browsed through a number of sites for cars available in Japan and finally spotted another car. It was a 1997 RZ 6 speed VVTi with a GReddy T88-34D turbo kit.

I have probably driven Jurgen up the wall with my countless questions regarding this car, but I wanted to make sure that I was buying the right one and getting everything absolutely perfect with it. ;)

I am in fact unsure of the full spec, but will soon find out once the car arrives in the country. What I do know is that it has the following:

• GReddy T88-34D Single Turbo Kit
  • HKS F-Con V Pro ECU (tuned by HKS Kansai)
  • Defi DSSC Dash
  • GReddy Profec B Spec-II Boost Controller
  • FMIC (I can only assume a Trust/GReddy)
  • Tein Coilovers (model yet to be determined)
  • Recaro fixed bucket driver seat(someone can surely inform me of the model)
  • OEM Recaro Confetti passenger seat
  • Ridox Front Bumper
  • OEM Sideskirts
  • 17" AVS Alloys (I don't know the model)
  • UK Spec Brakes
  • Blitz Nur Spec exhaust
  • SARD Decat

I figure that with the T88-34D turbo kit it will have suitable sized injectors, fuelling setup, possibly cams etc. I will find out in due course. :)

As far as the wheels and bumper, I wasn't a fan of either. I like the Ridox front, but would want the full kit if I was going to have it. The wheels just aren't my thing in the slightest. Following some discussions with Jurgen, it was decided that I will supply him with an OEM facelift front bumper which will be painted and fitted in place of the Ridox offering. Further to this, the wheels will be coming off in favour of a set of my dream wheels - CCW Classics. :D The spec of which are:

• 18x10 front, 18x11.5 rear
  • Fully polished finish
  • No Swiss
  • CCW branded centre caps
  • 3mm spacer, lug nuts, mounting and balancing as per provided package
  • Toyo R888 285/30/18 and Toyo R888 315/30/18

The car will also be undersealed and fitted with a Thatcham approved CAT1 alarm system on arrival.

A couple of parts I have already purchased (they were for my White Supra before I decided to go down this route) will be fitted once I get the car back home - an APR HKS Kansai Carbon Fibre Splitter and a Shine Auto Carbon Fibre Rear Diffuser. They should set off the front and back perfectly. I also have some Top Secret (replica) skirts, but I think I'll give the OEM skirts a go to begin with as I think they will work well with the Kansai lip in terms of styling similarities.

Unfortunately, we missed the boat at the end of April as it was a little late in being finalised at this end so there wasn't time to get everything sorted overseas, though it will be on the boat at the end of this month and should be ready for collection in July if I'm not mistaken :)

I have a few pictures at hand from the original advert and also some that Jurgen sent me from the dock. Here they all are:

attachment.php?attachmentid=169394&stc=1&d=1368478830

attachment.php?attachmentid=169405&stc=1&d=1368479095

attachment.php?attachmentid=169402&stc=1&d=1368479037

attachment.php?attachmentid=169401&stc=1&d=1368479019

attachment.php?attachmentid=169400&stc=1&d=1368478940

attachment.php?attachmentid=169399&stc=1&d=1368478917

attachment.php?attachmentid=169398&stc=1&d=1368478901

attachment.php?attachmentid=169397&stc=1&d=1368478886

attachment.php?attachmentid=169396&stc=1&d=1368478871

attachment.php?attachmentid=169395&stc=1&d=1368478854

attachment.php?attachmentid=169406&stc=1&d=1368479109

attachment.php?attachmentid=169404&stc=1&d=1368479076

attachment.php?attachmentid=169403&stc=1&d=1368479060

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/67980_520651601253_1277240713_n.jpg

Roll on July!

P5090015.JPG

P5090016.JPG

P5090017.JPG

P5090018.JPG

P5090021.JPG

P5090024.JPG

P5090025.JPG

photo-58.JPG

photo-59.JPG

photo-60.JPG

photo-61.JPG

photo-62.JPG

photo-63.JPG

Edited by James (see edit history)

Very nice mate

I was really interested that black Supra Jurgen advertised with the 13k on as well but I had to sell mine and well .. It just never happened.. Was a shame as it was stunning

Going to keep with mine for a little longer

Looks like a great buy you have there mate

Nice one dude! :thumbs:

Will look awesome with the CCW wheels! I can see this being a very beautiful supra!

Can't wait to see it mate.:thumbs:

love it!

Nice purchase and I'm really liking the plans you have for it. Congrats :)

Looka awesome James. CCWs and it'll be tip top

:thumbs: Cheers folks, I can't wait for it to turn up! Makes much more sense to do this than keep spending out on my NA-TT I think!

looking good mate! new set of wheels n id say thats perfect :)

As mentioned in the first post - it will be sitting on some CCW Classics soon. That - wheel-wise - will be perfect for me indeed :)

will you sell me the ridox front bumper when you swap them over mate?

I need to discuss the bumper situation with Jurgen actually, I was just going to give him it to sell on himself - will have a word with him and see what is to happen!

Looks good, should look amazing once you've done the finishing touches. You keeping the current wheels as a spare set, or fitting some drag tyres to them? :eyebrows:

Had any thoughts about getting matching seats for it?

Yeah Steven, I think the OEM front with the Kansai lip, the rear diffuser and the CCWs should finish it perfectly. OEM+ if you like :)

As for the wheels, same score as the bumper like I mentioned above, not sure what is going to happen with them. If I go for some drag tyres, I'd probably just opt for some Welds to mount them on! Depends on what will clear the UK brakes as I don't want to keep swapping calipers if I decide to take it to a strip!

As for the seats - Bride Zeta III XL would be my choice I reckon (looks wise at least, will need to try to find some to sit in!). That'll be a while off though. If I keep that current fixed Recaro then it may be a good motivator for me to shed some cakey beer gut :lol:

I have a particularly nice pair of recaro's for sale! If you're interested PM me and we could have a deal.:)

Lovely car, bit weird having a turbo that can push more power than the vvti block can handle though. You'll have to be careful if you're intending on upping the boost.

I have been looking at the DC2 seats for quite a while mate, even started a thread about some! They are very nice! I've got Bride rails sitting in my garage already too! I'd be tempted but think I may just hold off for the Zeta III XL eventually. Will give the current ones in the car a go first before purchasing replacements! Though if they are still here in a while and I'm not getting on with what is in it, I may give you a shout. :cool:

Regarding the VVTi block - can you give me some more info on this? I'm not familiar with the capabilities of it compared with the non-VVTi stock block? In saying that, the maximum power the T88-34D could give would do in a non-VVTi engine if not built as well, so that may be what you are meaning? Despite that anyway, I think the 650bhp that it is at already (I'll have to get it dyno'd to make sure :eyebrows: ) should be more than enough for me coming from a nearly BPU 5 speed :)

congratulations mate. what speedo is that? looks different..........and rather cool :)

It is a Defi DSSC. Has integrated gauges (usually for Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure, EGT) digitally, as well as the boost gauge on the cluster face itself. Will be a lottery to see what sensors for digital gauges have actually been fitted to this example though! It has a shift light on it too :lol:

Cool mate, you will love it :thumbs:

Cheers Adam. I'll probably bug you with some T88 related questions over time, I hope you don't mind :innocent:

Very nice mate

I was really interested that black Supra Jurgen advertised with the 13k on as well but I had to sell mine and well .. It just never happened.. Was a shame as it was stunning

Going to keep with mine for a little longer

Looks like a great buy you have there mate

The first car you mention was the one bought by Global Auto? Lovely black one with Advan wheels?

I wanted that too, but like you I found it had sold :(

July couldn't come quicker I bet!

Yep, the stock body one with the Kansai lip and the T04Z turbo kit. It was what made me make the decision to stop the progress of my current car and change up. Was a bit disappointed initially as the deposit was paid for that car only to then find out that it sold just a couple of days before. Not Jurgen's fault at all though so I'm not blaming him don't get me wrong! I just have to hope that this one is as nice/nicer! :) I'd probably have been spoilt having the low mileage one as I'd be using it all the time so it wouldn't stay super low miles for long!

Very nice mate, that will look cool with CCW's.

Will the 18 x 11.5 with 315/30/18 fit under the stock rear arches? That is the size I would like but still undecided and waiting to ask the question.

The arches will need rolled to accommodate them but yes, they will fit under there. I think they will be a big game changer for this car when they go on! :D

Very nice James, will look even better with some classics on. Your going to pebbledash your CK's mate

Cheers Rob! Yeah the Classics will change it completely I reckon! That and the stock front with the carbon Kansai! I don't think there are many (if any?) other cars in the UK with that front end arrangement?

And for sure, it'll be a pant wetting experience haha! :D

Sweet car buddy!

Cheers Tony - hopefully this one will see more meets than the white one has! :)

:cool:

looks awesome bud! will be a shame to see the white one gone after the amount of work we put into it but i definitely think you made the right decision.. plus.. black is THE best colour! :D

I know dude, just keep thinking back to what it was like a few winters ago with the whole of the interior in the garage, the whole front end in the garage etc.! As long as I/we don't have to do another heater matrix swap... :D

It was for sure the right decision to make! It would have been even better if it was Jade Green or even 040 White again but I'm sure I'll love the black! Will make for some good pics with both the S1s and Classics. :)