The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Markssupra's HKS Big Twins Aerotop project.

markssupra

​Thought it was about time to start the build thread as I have quite a collection of parts now and work on the car is progressing well. Didn't realise how long it takes to write these project threads, just about have enough time between work and sleeping to actually work on the car.

After seeing some amazing builds from Wayne (supradibbs), Rob's Gold Rush, Hodge, Steve m's, Jays at SRD, SupraGold and many more, I was inspired to try as it's always been something I have wanted to do. I hope I can achieve the same quality as you guys have.

Owned the car for over 8 years now and was a stock Twin Turbo Aerotop with 52000 miles when I bought it.

The car has been BPU for a few years now and was happy with it until I saw RobD was selling a complete HKS GT2835 twin kit. I have always wanted big twins since seeing them on another members car, not long after I first bought my mine.

I bought the kit July last year, these had been recently refurbished by Owen Developments and were just what I had been looking for. When I found out Lee P was also breaking his big twins setup, I had another opportunity to buy more parts for my build.

I hope to do most of the work on the car myself, and being my first, will be taking lots of pics and time to make notes along the way. Not sure of a time scale yet but hope to be finished in about 12 to 18 months time.

I started stripping the car December last year so have some catching up to do on this build thread. So far the engine is out, stripped, cleaned and sent for machining work plus a few other bits I will update as the thread progresses. I had been looking at various forged engine specs and with advice from Lee at SRD, Paul Whiffin and my engine machinist, arrived at the following engine spec.

Big thank you to Lee at SRD, Paul Whiffin, Rob Mitchell and Steve M for all your advice so far, plenty will be more needed guys :)

I am sure there are parts missing from the list so will update it as I go along. I have most of the parts listed and always open to opinions/advice.

Engine:

8200 rpm rev limit

Mahle Pistons 86.5mm

Brian Crower BC625+ con rods inc ARP fasteners

ACL Race Bearings

Titan Billet Main Caps

Fully balanced internals and polished crank

Stock crankshaft

Welded crank sprocket

ARP Main Studs

L19 ARP Head Stud Kit

New stock water pump

New stock oil pump

Toyota complete gasket set

Toyota stock head gasket

HKS timing belt

Billet tensioner and idler pulley

Titan adjustable cam pulleys

Whifbitz 72 degree thermostat

SRD Custom Breather System

Blitz Oil Cooler

PWR Radiator

Twin kenlowe Electric Fans

Titan crank pulley

TRD engine mounts

Stage 5 SRD Ported & Polished Head with:

Ferrea Manganese Bronze Valve Guides

Ferrea 1mm Oversized Competition Plus valves

Ferrea Valve Seals

Ferrea Dual Valve Springs

Ferrea Titanium Retainers

Ferrea Spring Seat Locators

Ferrea Valve Locks

SRD stage 3 - 280° 10.2mm lift Cams

Turbocharger & Induction:

HKS Twin GT2835 Turbo Kit,Water cooled

Turbo Spec 52t, .73 AR Hot, .50 AR cold - Rebuilt by Owen Developments

Twin HKS heatshields

Twin HKS 50mm racing wastgates

SRD Custom Intercooler

Twin HKS SSQV Dump Valves

Veilside Plenum

Veilside 100mm Throttle Body

Fuel, Tuning and ECU:

Twin Walbro Intank Pumps

Titan triple Fuel Pump Hanger

HKS 1000cc Injectors

HKS Fuel Pressure Regulator

Paxton High Flow Fuel Filter

SRD Custom Fuel Lines

Veilside Fuel Rail

3.5 Bar Map Sensor

Syvecs S6 ECU

Exhaust:

4" HKS Titanium

Drive train.

Stock autobox

Stock torque converter

Twin SRD transmission coolers

Suspension, Wheels, Tires & Brakes:

KW Variant 3 inox-line – Perfect Street Performance

8pot 356mm Ksport front big brake kit

4pot 356mm Ksport rear big brake kit

CCW LM20's 3 piece, Front 10j with 265/35/18 Michelin Pilots. Rear 11.5j with 315/30/18 Michelin Pilots

Interior:

New Heater matrix

Exterior:

Colour: Lamborghini Arancio Argos

Stock body withMVP Motorsports Front Lip

RMM (Rod Millen Motorsports) MKIV Supra Wing with Carbon Fiber Center

Zunsport front grille set

Facelift rear lights

Facelift front indicators

Clear side repeaters

Car as it has been for about 5-6 years.

attachment.php?attachmentid=168294&stc=1&d=1366932632

vbpgimage.jpeg

Edited by markssupra (see edit history)

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another epic amount of $$ to be spent..! LOL sorry I am just having a laugh because I've just gone through it including body restorations with suspension overhaul and seeing a new build thread popping up it flashes back the amount of $$ it has costed me..! ILMAO... We are a bunch of Nuts on here..! :p

Good luck with the project... look forwards to the updates...! by the looks of it you have a solid plan to work on...!

Nice to see its staying Auto too! Im really impressed with how my setup drives but you have alot of advantages over my spec, so its going to be even better!!

Seriously consider the boostlogic exhaust :D mine sounds insane lol, sounds the business even at idle.

Go bigger front brakes ;)

Edited by Rob_Mitchell (see edit history)

Another epic amount of $$ to be spent..! LOL sorry I am just having a laugh because I've just gone through it including body restorations with suspension overhaul and seeing a new build thread popping up it flashes back the amount of $$ it has costed me..! ILMAO... We are a bunch of Nuts on here..! :p

Good luck with the project... look forwards to the updates...! by the looks of it you have a solid plan to work on...!

I must admit that as I got deeper with buying parts, the strip down and selling off parts, I used to wake up in a cold sweat thinking what the hell am I doing, dont tell the missus though :sly:

Thank you, taken me a while to get sorted with what I want, buying the turbo's first sealed it.

You sly bas.. mark :p Can't wait to see the updates and the finished result mate :thumbs: What power are you aiming for?

Thanks Alex, excited about doing this project. Not going to rush it either, hopefully this time next year if it goes to plan. Lee was running 970hp 738ftlbs, 825hp & 627ftlbs at the wheels, if I could get somewhere near to that I would be very happy and extremely scared :D

Wow. Awesome spec.

Good luck :)

P.S. I would go for bigger injectors.

Thank you, hopefully be big enough as I got the whole fuel setup from Lee, happy to be advised otherwise though.

Looking forward to this build, good to see bits of my car being put to good use :)

Thanks Lee, would have had the whole lot if I hadn't already got the turbo's, you have been a star with all your advice. Plenty more will be needed :)

Going to be awesome! always a PM away mate and always happy to help.

Thanks mate, well appreciated.

Good luck with it Mark sounds like it will be a beautiful car when it's finished.

Thanks Tony, now the suns shining I am missing her big time, but will be worth the wait.

Facelift headlights too :D

This sounds like it is going to be excellent :D Stage 5 head?! The same as Jay's? :)

Stop it!!! The parts list just gets longer and longer :)

Yep, stage 5 head that was Lee's.

Nice to see its staying Auto too! Im really impressed with how my setup drives but you have alot of advantages over my spec, so its going to be even better!!

Seriously consider the boostlogic exhaust :D mine sounds insane lol, sounds the business even at idle.

Go bigger front brakes ;)

Yeah, thought about going manual but it would have just bumped up the cost so much, I need a ride in yours to feel the awesomeness :D

Will have a listen to yours mate.

Will we be known as The Big twins twins :)

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I wouldn't be doing the car if not for this club's members willing to give so much advice and help.

Edited by markssupra (see edit history)

The hardest part is when the project get hold up you are just buying parts without seeing any progress...! Months will roll by and you start to miss having a sports car and wonder why the hell did I em-barque on this crusade in the first place..! But at the end good things come for those who waits... and the reward is something truly special and super car performance..!

The hardest part is when the project get hold up you are just buying parts without seeing any progress...! Months will roll by and you start to miss having a sports car and wonder why the hell did I em-barque on this crusade in the first place..! But at the end good things come for those who waits... and the reward is something truly special and super car performance..!

Tell me about it, spent loads so far and still loads to spend and all I have is a shell, a growing pile of parts and a shed load of work. It will all be worth it.