The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Busters NA-T build with Some TT bit

buster

hello as some of you may know who are also on mkivsupra.net I have been doing a NA-T build for quite some time.

I thought it would be nice to run a thread on this lovely forum as well.

In the past few months this build has had its ups and downs Biggest been when Alan Jeffries blow my engine in a mapping session, a few weeks back. since then I have pulled apart my spare engine to bare block and replacing and uprating all seals and bearings to have almost a new engine.

I would like to thanks Mark dance for a lot of knowledge that has helped me throughout this build ; :D.

below are the specs I got or are going for ENJOY!

I'm going for between 500-600bhp have to see what it dyno on the day.

My specs/parts...

Engine....

New Mahle pro series pistons

New BC pro rods

ARP head studs

ARP main studs

ARP conrod bolts

Clevite big end bearings

Clevite main bearings

Clevite trust washers

Toyota front and rear crank seals

Toyota oil pump seals

Toyota TT headgasket

Toyota cam belt

Toyota cam belt tensioner

Toyota cam cover seals

Toyota cam cover washer seals

Toyota cam shaft seals

Toyota aux belt

Teflon stem seals

Water pump

Toyota oil pump

ATI/Titan crank pulley

whifbitz aux tensioner pulley

Billet water pump pulley cover

Magnecor 8mm ht leads

2 inlet catch can

Polished aux pulleys

Trd oil cap

1jz aftermarket ffim with N/A runner (pulley has put his mad skills to work)

Fueling....

Billet fuel rail sard

Fuel pressure regulator

Bradded fuel lines

Willbro 255l fuel pump

Semans injectors 650cc

Electronics....

AEM EMS V2 supra N/A model 30-6101

Aem IAT sensor

Aem 3.5 map sensor

Aem air/fuel gauge

Aem wideband o2 sensor

Aem egt gauge

Aem egt sensor

depo boost gauge with volt meter oil temp and oil press

blitz dual boost control

Cooling....

alloy rad

Oil sandwich plate

Twin electric fan kit

16row oil cooler and braided hoses

Drive gear....

R154 gearbox

R154 act 6 puck 630ftb rated clutch

brand new R154 flywheel

brand new R154 slave

R154 front of prop shaft

chaser speedo sensor

modified shifter housing

R154 gearbox mount

LSD

Turbo....

Turbonetics T66 Turbo T4 Flange

4" Turbo inlet pipe

Turbo blanket

60mm wastegate hks rep

2jz GE manifold with t4 flange

HKS ssqv bov

all custom fmic pipes work 3"

fmic 3"

4" k&n cone air filter

Bradded Turbo oil lines

Single turbo down pipe

Second decat pipe

3" v band clamp for down pipe

screamer pipe

TT supra parts....

TT cam covers with 10an breather fittings sprayed same colour as car

TT Black spark plug cover

TT idle control valve

TT throttle position sensor

TT throttle cable

Everything else....

Stainless steel bolt set for various engine bits

Opieoils engine, diff, gearbox oil, and filters

Stainless steel fmic cover plate

Cnc machined rad brackets

So here is where the story starts.

I had a silver N/A manual I bought back in 2007 I was slowly modifying with no real plans to turbo.

when on the evening of the 24/01/2009 I aquaplaned on a very large puddle on my way home and lost control and hit a small wall and woke up on the other side of the road to this...

as you can imagine I was heartbroken been my first proper sports car at 21 years old.

so I got it home and broke it for parts making some money back, After this supra I new I would get a replacement just didn't know when, Been as I had saved and borrowed money fot the first. I passed my bike test went through a few bikes, bought a mr2 cheap fixed it up took it to a few supra meets with the local sw group.

Then I spotted a range rover orange supra with some light damage on mkivsupra forum.

This beauty

As I said there was some light damage but I came to a price with the owner and on the trailer it went back to my yard

Just after we unloaded it.

That same day I started work on stripping the front end to see the extent of the damage very minor.

From memory: hub, light, front frame, power steering pipe, wing, bumper, and washer bottle

Replacement wing, headlight, front frame

With the new front bumper almost looking complete again.

Next step was to have it sprayed here it is in primer

Finished fresh paint always looks the best

the car stayed is that for the summer I got it to a few shows and few supra meets

imagek

Edited by buster (see edit history)

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As winter was on its was I got the thought in my head of doing a NA-T project. It was only going to be small and simple very basic setup 400bhp max.

So I started collecting bits as the pile mounted I found A donor engine to build parts on as wanted to keep car on the road for a little longer.

This is the finished engine ready to be put in the car

The car went up to my friends work shop (lots of space and a pit ;D )

and here it is just before we started work

Engine in and piped up

Then to cut a long story short I got an offer of a R154 gearbox with all parts apart from shifter extension for a good price.

this is the R154 next to my W58 box before we done the shifter

here is the shifter mod work of art

The boxes lined up with shifter mod complete Just before fitting

So after fitting The R154 box this looked like a build that could start to hold some good power. Now I wanted to spend some money on making it look right and uprating some parts, To improve performance. The first thing to do was to get rid of that nasty N/A inlet plenum and throttle body, That got replaced with a stock TT inlet (no easy job) using weld to build up round the ports so I could grind out the inside to meet the N/A runners. then using the TT ICV & TPS to keep everything working well.

here is the TT plenum with the weld built up

and here is it meeting with the runners

Soon as the traction control butterfly would not be in use I decided to remove it and flush the holes off

All finished in gloss black

So with the TT inlet I could now run a aftermarket fmic with TT piping so i bought just that 2-3/4" of turbo to intercooler and 3" to inlet.

We also clocked the turbo round a few degrees so the inlet pipe would miss the dizzy cap.

here is the stages

Once all was back running it got a full service oils and filters a final check and off for mapping.

This is where the story ends for the first engine as the mapper popped the engine half way through the session!

I have some dyno sheets right before it went bang

and now I am building a new engine with the specs you see at the top of the page pics to follow as and when the work gets done.

Edited by buster (see edit history)

Where did you get your wastegate from mate? Is it a 4 bolt style one or are you using an adapter to allow you to use a vband clamp style one? I'm searching for a four bolt to fit mine and can only find the 50mm HKS style item at the moment.

He's got a HKS 60 mm v band wastegate (same as me)

Where did you get your wastegate from mate? Is it a 4 bolt style one or are you using an adapter to allow you to use a vband clamp style one? I'm searching for a four bolt to fit mine and can only find the 50mm HKS style item at the moment.

As pulley said bud I made a plate up to bolt to the manifold and weld my v band too

Well I here the tt pump is good for 450-500 not sure howtruethat is. Secondly have ou built your fic pipe work for the na ? Now looking build though makes me eager to get mine going for the summer. Actually my want for power was increased when some twonk in a paxo overtook me the other day and my little crz didnt have a chance,......grrrr

Well I here the tt pump is good for 450-500 not sure howtruethat is. Secondly have ou built your fic pipe work for the na ? Now looking build though makes me eager to get mine going for the summer. Actually my want for power was increased when some twonk in a paxo overtook me the other day and my little crz didnt have a chance,......grrrr

NA automatic?

As pulley said bud I made a plate up to bolt to the manifold and weld my v band too

Cheers for the info, I think I'll have to see if anyone at works is half decent with a welder. I've had no luck finding anything in a four bolt style so will probably look at doing the same as yourself and Pulley with a v band wastegate. :thumbs:

i'm confused you have listed TT and NA head gasket? I'd be careful at that power with the w58 i know someone who went through 3 w58's at 365bhp :)

Aslong as you keep the torque higher up the rev band, or just low

Making use of the A01B ratio diff and w58 lower ratio box helps this , just means you rev out at 158mph

Also depends on driving style and mechanical sympathy