The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra 1:24 Tamiya Models

Westy

Just came across these pics of a well executed model and wondered if anyone else on here has made one!?

Found another cracker:

And a big twin engine:

I think it would be good to make a model replica of my own car and have already found a supplier for my BBS RG-Rs in the correct scale....so I've purchased the Supra kit and BBS wheels to give it a go!:)

Helpful Links:

Aftermarket Wheels

How to Fit Aftermarket Wheels

Single Turbo Engine Parts

Recaro Seats

Edited by Westy (see edit history)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:blink: The detail of that is outstanding! That second picture makes it look almost real size.

I thought the same!lol! It's an excellent model...didn't even realise you could get so many custom parts for models...the wheel supplier has a good range of the BBS alloys in this scale.

I think the wheels on the one above will be 20"s in a 1:24 scale. But he does have the RG-R in 18"s 1:24.:)

I been looking at kyosho ones which are 1:18, but rumours are they're the most detailed model out there but are like rocking horse sh*t.

There's a slightly damaged one on eBay now at £135, not cheap!! :(

- - - Updated - - -

I been looking at kyosho ones which are 1:18, but rumours are they're the most detailed model out there but are like rocking horse sh*t.

- - - Updated - - -

The Kyosho one has several glaring errors, the Tamiya is MUCH better. And much cheaper.

I've got one I'm waiting to build, can't decide wether to build it as a late, stock VVTi 6 speed or a replica of my single.

Metallic colours don't work well with scale models though, they give the game away on the scale. Otherwise the grey one is a great looker, but would benefit from a lot more detail and some weathering for a bit of realism.

I thought the same!lol! It's an excellent model...didn't even realise you could get so many custom parts for models...the wheel supplier has a good range of the BBS alloys in this scale.

I think the wheels on the one above will be 20"s in a 1:24 scale. But he does have the RG-R in 18"s 1:24.:)

I've been looking too, but unfortunately exterior aftermarket body panels seem to be non existent :(

I've been looking too, but unfortunately exterior aftermarket body panels seem to be non existent :(

Scratch build one then! :)

It's not *that* difficult.

Have a look at this guy doing a whole Capri from scratch: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234923689&hl=

Failing that, I may be able to help, but it will not be particularly cheap! :) (materials for casting are expensive). Looking at your car, there are lots of aftermarket panels, so it may actually be incredibly complicated :)

I still reckon I could do it, but as said it wouldn't be cheap.

Scratch build one then! :)

It's not *that* difficult.

Have a look at this guy doing a whole Capri from scratch: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234923689&hl=

Failing that, I may be able to help, but it will not be particularly cheap! :) (materials for casting are expensive)

Can you make my car in exchange for being such a good club member? :)

I bought and made one of these about 10 years ago and painted it in the closest thing I could find to RSP :D. It is looking terrible now (I can post a picture if anyone wants to see it), but I was bought a new kit last year and plan on giving it another go when things quieten down a bit :)

I have had one before but when it came to doing the lights I put it on the box and said my goodbyes lol was too hard!!

Ill put a pic up soon! But it was a Tamiya.

Tbh I would like another I can spend some proper time on and not rush!

The Kyosho one has several glaring errors, the Tamiya is MUCH better. And much cheaper.

I've got one I'm waiting to build, can't decide wether to build it as a late, stock VVTi 6 speed or a replica of my single.

Metallic colours don't work well with scale models though, they give the game away on the scale. Otherwise the grey one is a great looker, but would benefit from a lot more detail and some weathering for a bit of realism.

Can you buy bits then like single turbos?!

Am I right with this being the air fix style model kit?

Can you buy bits then like single turbos?!

Am I right with this being the air fix style model kit?

Yes, they're an Airfix style kit.

You can buy many bits, such as wheels, seats etc. not turbos and manifolds etc, but they're straight forward to make.

:edit: Never seen this before, but someone is now offering resin conversion parts to do a single turbo, eBay item no: 160952656988

I'll do a guide when I build mine. I would offer it as a service (with mods approval of course) but its VERY time consuming making custom bits, and these kits will become rare shortly.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Just read that britmodeller thread! Wow!

Think I'd just try and carve bits from modelling foam, treat it, and then maybe fibreglass it if I did a replica of mine. Would be much simpler!

Fibreglass will be a PITA in 1/24 scale. Much better to build a base from plasticard, and build it up with filler, or profile it from a block of balsa.

I was bought one of these kits (Tamiya) about 10 years ago because I always wanted a Supra. I made it and I think it's in the loft somewhere. Never thought I'd actually get one. It's even the same colour as my current car.

BTW, if anyone wants one of these models I'd hurry up and get one bought. They're now out of production and prices will skyrocket once supply dwindles.

VW Corrado model kits cost circa £200 now second hand!

I managed to snag an unbuilt Revell 1:24 Corrado kit on ebay for my boyfriend. All bags are still sealed with everything included and box in good order. He won't build it, though because it's so rare. Maybe he will if he ever sells his Corrado!

I was bought one of these kits (Tamiya) about 10 years ago because I always wanted a Supra. I made it and I think it's in the loft somewhere. Never thought I'd actually get one. It's even the same colour as my current car.

I managed to snag an unbuilt Revell 1:24 Corrado kit on ebay for my boyfriend. All bags are still sealed with everything included and box in good order. He won't build it, though because it's so rare. Maybe he will if he ever sells his Corrado!

Pics of the Corrado? :) (the real one)

He does right not to build his kit, far too valuable.

Single & twin, Mmmmm.. Must be some optional little bits you can order separately then from Tamiya!

Would love a single, I got a half made twin at home which I will finish!