Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Project UFO ! Restoration after over 7 years of neglect

Me? Post? Never! Club Member supra_ufo's Avatar
    Feedback
    14 (100%)

Warning Project UFO

Summary
    The following thread is a documentation of the work that I have carried out on my J Spec Supra TT Aero, for my own personal history as the car has non at this moment. It’s the first time ever I have documented something like this so it’s not going to be brilliant. I have learned alot from this project and would probably have done things differently if I had a chance to start again, mainly concentrating on one thing at a time and mainly engine / mechanical, I was more into cosmetics.

The History

The car belonged to my uncle who did the work on the car himself / friends and was bought by his younger brother who then has passed it down to me for a small fee. The car has been in the family for over 10 years and ever since I set eyes on it I have always wanted it and now own it...

The SUP started life off as RED and has been resprayed in BMW Purple called Daytona Violet, found on some E36 M3's....

I arranged to pick the car up in Dec 2012 however it wasn't going to be simple as the car had not ran for 6+ years and I was told that there was an oil leak. I had arranged with little_num/James on the here to pick the car up from London and I caught the train from Leeds down the previous day and met with the James in the early hours. We replaced the battery and checked the oil, it fired up first time, the car was driven onto the trailer and then our 200 mile Journey north started! It was raining heavily so I couldn't get pictures of the car until I got home.

This is the condition that I got the car in

Excuse the garage mess, should of seen it a week before! I couldn't see the extent of the oil leak as the car had a lower engine cover and it wasn't obvious where the leak was from but it came out more when the car was running (obv)

The car was a mess, webs, dust and lots of coins. It looked like the roof had leaked at some point and water got in the back of the car and stained the floor. Either that or someone had done a poo

As you can see it had been severely neglected over the years, it looked like a barn find! I didn’t get the chance to look at the paintwork whilst in London so until I got back to Yorkshire it was more obvious that it needed a respray! There were small dints in various places, scratches and paint fade. The car was stored outside under a car cover and it looked like the wind had battered the car and which caused fading in some areas :-/ Anyway the first thing was to give the inside a clean so I could sit in it! Once done the next step was to see where the leak was coming from and to resolve that. My intention was to get the car on the road for the summer so I had about 6/7 months to complete the restoration. Prior to starting I had never worked on cars before, although I had an interest in cars I'm not a hands on mechanical person and to save costs I wanted to do it myself and learn in the process.

First things first, the to do list

Engine

The car has a stock twin turbo engine & stock exhaust. The engine bay needed alot of TLC, it looked very poor under the hood and most if not all of it was 20 years old! The radiator was being held up by two cable ties The car was missing the rad brackets which explains the cable ties but it was on mounts underneath so was secure.

Plans

• Repaint plastics / engine dress up
    • Replace all fluids
    • Replace turbo vac hoses
    • Replace main radiator hoses
    • Respray turbo heat shield
    • Full exhaust system or BPU (basic performance upgrades)
    • Refurb brakes/change Discs and Pain Calipers

Interior

The old vinyl needs to go!

Plans

• Dash Retrim
    • Upgrade interior lights with LED, and upgrade the dash lights as some were not working
    • Ive always wanted gauges to monitor car, boost at the very least
    • Retrim the leather seats
    • Dye the carpet black and get some new matts

Exterior

• Get the car detailed to see what needed work on
    • DIY Refurb the head lights as they were slightly clouding (paint the insides)
    • Remove the Rear Spoiler
    • Remove the rear Wiper
    • HID Kit, and possibly Day time running lights
    • Refurb the wiper blades as the paint had come off
    • Replace the number plates with smaller legal ones and reposition the front ones as it is stopping air flow
    • In the near future respray the car fully either in the current colour (Daytona violet) or a new one
    • Deep dish wheels
    • Lowering Coil Overs

I got my work cut out so I picked up a 170 piece Halfords pro tool kit, 2 car jacks, 2 axel stands and got to work! After taking off the undertray I managed to pin point the leak (thanks to forum members) to the turbo oil return pipe and after removing the pipe (with difficulty) I noticed the gasket had perished. I went to Mr T and got some OEM gaskets & replaced both the 1st and 2nd Oil Return gasket and hey presto no leak!

The next aim was to get the car MOT’ed which meant I needed Insurance at least...this was not straight forward. My uncle had misplaced the log book but was adamant that he had it in his other house (in the process of moving) after weeks of looking I decided to apply for the logbook which is a longer process, and around a month later I got my V5 log book.

Whilst waiting for the log book I decided to have a go at redoing the interior. I did some research and decided vinyl wrapping was the way to go. After many youtube tutorials I picked up a kit and took the dash apart.

Ignore the underwear LOL how did I not see that. I removed the old vinyl with a hair dryer and used autoglym tar remover to get the sticky glue off.

Next Update on Page 2...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg   7.jpg   8.jpg   9.jpg   10.jpg  

11.jpg   12.jpg   13.jpg   14.jpg   14_1.jpg  

15.jpg   16.jpg   17.jpg   18.jpg   19.jpg  

20.jpg   21.jpg   22.jpg   23.jpg   24.jpg  

25.jpg   26.jpg   27.jpg   28.jpg   29.jpg  

30.jpg   31.jpg  
    Last edited by supra_ufo; 07-07-16 at 00:39. Reason: thread title

Me? Post? Never! Club Member abtin90's Avatar
    Feedback
    27 (100%)
    Looks like a nice project and a good car to start with. Looking forward to the updates. Good luck with it all

Stay low, move fast Club Member Supra Gaz's Avatar
    Feedback
    17 (100%)
    Nice colour dude, the paint will still be available through various places as it is a mainstream BMW colour. Keep us updated dude
    Stay low, move fast

Xbox profile - NinjaRubberDuk

Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Nice to see one put back on the road instead of taken apart for parts, good work!

あなたはペニスです Club Member hackin'n'bashin's Avatar
    Feedback
    22 (100%)
    Front bumper looks like its from the BN kit. Doesn't look too bad!

Are your stock wheels 16 or 17" dude?
    When you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plaintiff.
    Cicero

When God made me, he threw away the mould.

Although some has grown back

Feedback
    8 (100%)
    As above the front bumper is part of a BN kit. An acquired taste from my perspective.

I think she'd look a lot nicer with a stock front and a nice lip (then again in bias)

Will follow your thread with interest.
    Go On...Test your Strength

My Psychiatrist says I have a pre-occupation with vengence.......we'll see about that

Feedback
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    As above the front bumper is part of a BN kit. An acquired taste from my perspective.

I think she'd look a lot nicer with a stock front and a nice lip (then again in bias)

Will follow your thread with interest.
    Not sure if it is the BN bumper, looks different unless there are more variants of it

http://shop.j-spec.se/bilder/artikla...81524-26_1.jpg
    Last edited by supra_ufo; 07-08-13 at 23:25.

1JZ Baby Club Member little num's Avatar
    Feedback
    131 (99%)
    Cheers for the recommendation mate, i really enjoyed the 530 miles round trip and was good to meet another member who is willing to work on the car themselve's.
    Colour looks darker in the pics and much better in real life.
    If you need any info mate just drop me a text anytime.
    Are here to be broken

I'm part of the furniture Club Member j_jza80's Avatar
    Feedback
    13 (100%)
    You've certainly got your work cut out for you! But best of luck

The colour looks like it might be 'Technoviolet', which is lovely when it's polished up.

Rumbling v8 Club Member RoyBoy7's Avatar
    Feedback
    6 (100%)
    Very nice ! Love AeroTop projects ! Will be watching with much interest
    NEVER DRIVE FASTER THAN YOUR ANGEL CAN FLY

Feedback
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hackin'n'bashin View Post
    Front bumper looks like its from the BN kit. Doesn't look too bad!

Are your stock wheels 16 or 17" dude?
    Stock 16"

Quote Originally Posted by little num View Post
    Cheers for the recommendation mate, i really enjoyed the 530 miles round trip and was good to meet another member who is willing to work on the car themselve's.
    Colour looks darker in the pics and much better in real life.
    If you need any info mate just drop me a text anytime.
    My Aim is to get it up and running with most plans completed by April
    Yea its the crap digi cam I used, the flash was drowning the natural light, Ill use the DSLR next time just didnt want to haul it around ;-)
    Cheers James!

Quote Originally Posted by j_jza80 View Post
    You've certainly got your work cut out for you! But best of luck

The colour looks like it might be 'Technoviolet', which is lovely when it's polished up.
    Yes I think it is that colour...

http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/attach...m3-detail1.jpg
    http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/4...46mvertgv0.jpg
    Last edited by supra_ufo; 07-08-13 at 23:24.

Me? Post? Never! Club Member abtin90's Avatar
    Feedback
    27 (100%)
    Lovely colour should look stunning once its cleaned and polished.

Your Mum's favourite Club Member Josh's Avatar
    Feedback
    10 (100%)
    Nice project, and good to see you're willing to get stuck in and do things yourself. Before joining this forum, I knew next to nothing about how cars work. Now, I like to think I'm quite knowledgable
    UK TT6 with BBS LMs

Feedback
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Nice project, and good to see you're willing to get stuck in and do things yourself. Before joining this forum, I knew next to nothing about how cars work. Now, I like to think I'm quite knowledgable
    Biggest achievement is doing my electrics in the garage myself, which I wouldn't have done if I wasn't getting this car though... Haven't started on the car stuff yet :/

Company Sarge Club Member DaveR's Avatar
    Feedback
    21 (100%)
    Nice looking project, matey. Love the paint!
    3.4l Titan Stroked 2JZ GTE - B362 Single Turbo
    CLICK >>>>> Suki in her Garage <<<<< CLICK
    Keep watching this thread for more updates
    Beware the subtle Supra

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast