The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bmw 6 speed getrag box conversion for 2jz

chazuk

I saw this on eBay has anyone heard of this before is it possible? Apparently the BMW clutch and flywheel are used the flywheel bolts straight on http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Supra-Soarer-2jz-1jz-gearbox-adapter-Fit-Bmw-Box-Use-Bmw-Clutch-Flywheel-/160938236647?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2578aa9ae7

It would be a end to the 2500k gearboxes the bmw ones that look similar to a supra box sell for £750

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-M3-3-2-6-SPEED-GETRAG-MANUAL-GEARBOX-COVERED-59K-/360524034010?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D4088115232068581017%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D360524034010%26

Done a quick search lots of m3 e46 in states using the stock 6spd running 800hp+ t71 turbos so I guess the box is pretty much the same

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know what the BMW box can take, but you would need a custom prop, and do the ratios suit the supra?

Allot of power by the looks of it doing a quick search on e46 single turbo all running the stock 6spd the ratio is below , propshaft is easy get made up , the shifter might be the only pain if the box is shorter I am not sure

1st = 4.32:1

2nd = 2.54:1

3rd = 1.62:1

4th = 1.23:1

5th = 1.00:1

6th = 0.83:1 (overdrive)

Reverse = 3.75:1

Single turbo'd e46m3 646whp and 549tq think in a previous video it was a 71mm turbo stock engine not bad

[video=youtube;hr-kdrfcO8Q]

Mounts will need to be fabricated, prop will need fabricating, linkage will be about under the dash somewhere, will the spigot fit in the toyota spigot bearing? what clutch and flywheel to use? Will it need spacing? Will there be enough clearance on the release bearing to the pressure plate? Will the fork arm push the pressure plate far enough....? Good luck.

Edit. Isn't the 6 speed Supra clutch a pull clutch? Cos that one looks like a push clutch. And I can't see the modifiation plate or whatever it is on the conversion thing.

Edited by Benjy (see edit history)

People know Getrag is the make of the gearbox, not the model, right?

Supra 6speed...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/12/tevama6e.jpg

M3 6speed...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/12/unegeneq.jpg

Edit: The money you'll save on the box, you'll spend on modifying the BM box and the MTF LT2 fluid which is about £150 for 5 litres.

That's the wrong box mate its a 420g getrag is the correct one needed ,I have emailed the bloke he reckons the BMW flywheel is a direct bolt up to the 2jz and he is currently running this setup in his supra he has had a few of the bell housing converters made up , if you search the bm forums most of them use royal purple , a custom prop I can get done for 250 I asked him about the shifter you just modify the stock bm one looks like it would need to be longer

image.jpg

v160/v161 or go home!!!

I have one of those it's a rip off though what we pay second hand for them ,let's be honest it's only that way because there are not very many around, e46 m3 gearboxes eBay is littered with them if I had the time and was after a 6 spd I would look into this further .

I just heard back from the guy the first 5 templates are now sold he is having 5 more made up and he's sending over some pictures

I have one of those it's a rip off though what we pay second hand for them ,let's be honest it's only that way because there are not very many around, e46 m3 gearboxes eBay is littered with them if I had the time and was after a 6 spd I would look into this further .

I just heard back from the guy the first 5 templates are now sold he is having 5 more made up and he's sending over some pictures

was only messing about, i am all for alternative applications :)

was only messing about, i am all for alternative applications :)

Ah okay :) , I see someone on eBay America is selling either full conversion kits or just the adapter plate to fit the 350z 6 speed to a 2j but don't know how strong these would be http://www.ebay.com/itm/2JZGTE-2JZ-1JZ-2JZGE-Engine-to-350Z-6-speed-Tranmission-Adapter-Plate-V160-/300695434945