The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New member and Supra

scott87

Hi again,

Posted a couple of days ago saying hello and well didnt hold around. Found a really nice supra on here for sale from marc_p. Nightmare of a drive to collect it but a completely hastle free 160mile drive home.

Few very small niggles that people may be able to help with:

1. Low noise/vibration at idle. Possibly a heat shield or something similar is this common?

2. Very slight brake wobble at high speed, im assuming that being sat for a while the disks are a little warped. Should this level out or just switch to new disks?

3. Is 150ish miles about right to 30quid of fuel?

4. Im sure marc_p went through everything, but apart from a quick service is there anything i should do/look out for......

Oh and if anyone wants to swap a red bonnet with celica scoop in it for a standard red bonnet let me know :p

If its been sat for a while and not moved the wobble could be down tyres being slightly deformed, discs

don't warp when their not used.

If it is discs then they will need replacing or re grinding if there's enough material on them

The fuel is around 30 mpg depending on how many litres you got for your £30 and how

ish the 150 miles are.

30 mpg is around the max you'll get out of a tt driven very carefully

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

If its been sat for a while and not moved the wobble could be down tyres being slightly deformed, discs

don't warp when their not used.

If it is discs then they will need replacing or re grinding if there's enough material on them

The fuel is around 30 mpg depending on how many litres you got for your £30 and how

ish the 150 miles are.

Thanks for the reply. I'll see how it settles in over the next few hundred miles. As i said it is very slight and only at steady braking from high speed not on off braking, say on windy roads.

I got 21.76 litres. I am now just above the second block above empty. The miles were exactly 149.

To check the fuel mpg you need to brim the tank then do say 200 miles on the trip ometer

then re fill the tank, you cant do it accurately off the gauge so i doubt your doing 30 + mpg

and more likely 20-25

On your figures you got 31.3 mpg which i doubt but i see its an na and not a tt

so maybe

Did you drive it home like your granny would and all on non stop/start rds ?

Also if it hasn't moved for a while i'd be inclined to pop the wheels off and

check all the brake calipers are working correctly and non of the pistons

are seizing and the carriers move freely.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

1. Low noise/vibration at idle. Possibly a heat shield or something similar is this common?

2. Very slight brake wobble at high speed, im assuming that being sat for a while the disks are a little warped. Should this level out or just switch to new disks?

3. Is 150ish miles about right to 30quid of fuel?

4. Im sure marc_p went through everything, but apart from a quick service is there anything i should do/look out for......

1. the heat shield around the 1st and 2nd cat are notorious for getting rusty and vibrating against the actual exhaust. you can remove the heat shield from the second cat easily and heat wrap it.

(there is also a small additional heat shield at the joint between down pipe and 2nd cat pipe that always rattles and is easy to remove)

2. trying pumping the brakes before you come to a stop next time it may just be the j-spec brakes are a little seized (failing that just change the disc)

3. from my NA i tend to get around 23~24mpg on short runs and just under 30 mpg long runs (O2 sensors are easy to change / clean, and can improve response and mpg slightly)

4. make sure that you have oil (and its not eating it) and check that you use the correct coolant and have some in the expansion bottle (toyota red coolant)

1. the heat shield around the 1st and 2nd cat are notorious for getting rusty and vibrating against the actual exhaust. you can remove the heat shield from the second cat easily and heat wrap it.

(there is also a small additional heat shield at the joint between down pipe and 2nd cat pipe that always rattles and is easy to remove)

2. trying pumping the brakes before you come to a stop next time it may just be the j-spec brakes are a little seized (failing that just change the disc)

3. from my NA i tend to get around 23~24mpg on short runs and just under 30 mpg long runs (O2 sensors are easy to change / clean, and can improve response and mpg slightly)

4. make sure that you have oil (and its not eating it) and check that you use the correct coolant and have some in the expansion bottle (toyota red coolant)

Yer drove like a granny sticking to 70 the whole way on the m1. Booted it from a slip road twice but that was it. Was too tired :-(

Ill take the wheels off and check them later this week then :-) What oil does it use, i always used 10w40 in the mr2, is it the same in the supra? I have 10litres of red coolant lying around too from the mr2 also. :-)

Cheers for the replies.

Yer pretty sure the rattle is from a heatshield but just work out which one now.

There is also a rattle/sqeek type noise like i mentioned that goes when the clutch is pressed. Could this just be the flywheel? Or should i look more into this? The clutch is biting really low and feels very new.....

I also have an alarm that you need to press a button to release central locking. The problem is there is an immobiliser too and if you dont start the car in time you have to lock and unlock the car again. Anyone midlands based a pro at removing these?

Here are a few bits that i did today...

Removed the hideous gear stick and replaced it with the tiny one i had re-trimmed for my mr2:

I also pinched the clear side repeaters from the mr2:

And the washer jets as it had some hideous led things:

Next is a good polish and service, but here is how she stands at the end of the day:

Is there a how to service guide on here at all?

Also my fold mirrors button does not work, or adjustment for driverside, passenger side is fine. I also have a weird red switch below my cd player???

2012-09-07-064.jpg

Edited by scott87 (see edit history)

Cheers for the replies.

Yer pretty sure the rattle is from a heatshield but just work out which one now.

There is also a rattle/sqeek type noise like i mentioned that goes when the clutch is pressed. Could this just be the flywheel? Or should i look more into this? The clutch is biting really low and feels very new.....

I also have an alarm that you need to press a button to release central locking. The problem is there is an immobiliser too and if you dont start the car in time you have to lock and unlock the car again. Anyone midlands based a pro at removing these?

Here are a few bits that i did today...

Removed the hideous gear stick and replaced it with the tiny one i had re-trimmed for my mr2:

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss321/langers_2004/2012-09-07-063.jpg

I also pinched the clear side repeaters from the mr2:

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss321/langers_2004/2012-09-07-064.jpg

And the washer jets as it had some hideous led things:

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss321/langers_2004/2012-09-07-066.jpg

Next is a good polish and service, but here is how she stands at the end of the day:

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss321/langers_2004/2012-09-07-065.jpg

Is there a how to service guide on here at all?

Also my fold mirrors button does not work, or adjustment for driverside, passenger side is fine. I also have a weird red switch below my cd player???

Weird red switch could possibly be for rear FOG light. J spec cars dont have them as standeard (not needed for MOT)