The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thoughts on UK versus J Spec cars

Matt C

Guest Martin F

I guess you mean a base spec car.

In that case a UK spec car. Because even though they are slightly heavier and don't spool quite so quick, they are the only disadvantages IMHO.

For the advantages you only have to look at a differences list, like the one on this site. The fact that a lot of Jap spec owners end up hunting for UK(Export) Spec parts also says something.

The only thing is that UK spec cars are becoming ever rarer in good condition and if it was a decision between a top notch import car and a fair UK-spec car then that would be a very hard decision.

Dont panic if you dont find a UK spec soon, it took me about 4 months to track mine down after missing out on a couple of good looking (affordable) ones.

I went for the UK because of the brakes, overall standard spec and peace of mind over parts.. but the parts thing is a bit of a myth as Im sure that there are plenty of places that stock stuff for the J-Spec cars.

Are you looking for an Auto or 6 Speed? I saw plenty of good looking UK autos about during my hunt, and Im sure there are loads of decent Auto GZ's about too.. there were just no J-spec 6 speeds that had all the gadets that i wanted. So it had to be UK spec.

Rob. :)

I had no problem with taking on a Jap spec - as I only wanted an Aero - and had previously owned an FTO (I know, I know!)

The myth about parts etc is bull - put about by the anti-import lobby

The only reasons for the UK spec over the Jap - Insurance, Insurance, Insurance!

Oh - and the brakes (although this depends on your alloys only)

Paul

:cool:

With UK spec you start with a better baseline for tuning, if that is what you are interested in - comes as standard with the larger 550 injectors and higher capacity fuel pump, plus the better brakes that many people here have upgraded to. Even the turbos should be more durable than the ceramic finned Jap ones - these work great on stock boost but tend to be fragile if pushed too much.

The reason that the UK spec cars are heavier, is because they have a higher specification - electric leather seats, air conditioning, big brakes, headlight washers (LOL), blah blah blah, all add a lot of weight on. Get the same spec on a Jap car and it'll be slower, IMHO.

Hopefully should get em all here:

Differences between a GZ and a UK car:

Between 30-50% Cheap Insurance

Heated Seats

Cream or Black Leather

Passenger Airbag

Glass headlamps

Headlamp wash/wipe

UK Radio & 6 CD Changer

17" Wheels

Nice scoop on bonnet

Larger Brakes Discs and Bigger Calipers

Airflow metering replaces MAP sensor

Different TCS (probably for the worse)

Steel Turbos (inc diff wastegate, frontpipe etc)

Cams

Fuel Tank (10l larger), Higher Capacity Pump & 550cc Injectors

Softer Shocks

Think thats about it... :)

Hope this helps the new un's make a decision as to which is the better car ;)

Gaz.

Guest Martin F
Originally posted by gazwalker

It doesn't replace the MAP it works in conjunction with it. I wonder if anybody know's why they decided to include a MAF on the export models ?

So how about the bits' you forgot ?

Diff Cooler. + temp monitor

Additional Auto fluid cooler.

Integrated fog lights in rear cluster.

Headlamp height adjust

You just knew there was going to be more.

Originally posted by Martin F

It doesn't replace the MAP it works in conjunction with it. I wonder if anybody know's why they decided to include a MAF on the export models ?

So how about the bits' you forgot ?

Diff Cooler. + temp monitor

Additional Auto fluid cooler.

Integrated fog lights in rear cluster.

Headlamp height adjust

You just knew there was going to be more.

New the regulars would have more than me!

I didn't know about the Diff Cooler & Headlamp Adjust :thumbs:

The integrated fog lights are parts of the UK spec that should be done on imports anyway (albeit via the TRL thingy!)

You could argue the MPH odometer, speedo, cruise control etc etc are differences too, but I decided not too.

Cheers Martin

Regards,

Gaz.

Hopefully should get em all here:

Differences between a GZ and a UK car:

Between 30-50% Cheap Insurance

Heated Seats

Cream or Black Leather

Passenger Airbag

Glass headlamps

Headlamp wash/wipe

UK Radio & 6 CD Changer

17" Wheels

Nice scoop on bonnet

Larger Brakes Discs and Bigger Calipers

Different TCS (probably for the worse)

Steel Turbos (inc diff wastegate, frontpipe etc)

Cams

Fuel Tank (10l larger), Higher Capacity Pump & 550cc Injectors

Softer Shocks

Think thats about it... :)

Hope this helps the new un's make a decision as to which is the better car ;)

Gaz.

Just a couple of amendments :)

Only the inlet cam is different between models and the TCS is a little bit better than the J-spec but still not very good.

For the record (and for anyone using the search function in the future) the UK spec has the Exhaust Gas Recirculation system which is better off in the bin.

Gavin,

Do many people with UK cars remove the EGR? - I know lots of US fellas do so, but so far your the only one I recall saying anything about it. Sounds like a good idea reading into it. I know why you should remove it, but why was it put on, and is there any disadvantages to removing it?

Think maybe we should make a deffinite list once everyone has added there comments and stick it to the top of the forum as a sticky?

Gaz.

Gavin,

Do many people with UK cars remove the EGR? - I know lots of US fellas do so, but so far your the only one I recall saying anything about it. Sounds like a good idea reading into it. I know why you should remove it, but why was it put on, and is there any disadvantages to removing it?

Think maybe we should make a deffinite list once everyone has added there comments and stick it to the top of the forum as a sticky?

Gaz.

I don't think many people do remove the EGR. It is a bit of an American thing not to mention you do have to order the bits from the US which can be a pain.

I removed mine due to the heat problems and I had a leak in one of the hoses, no side effects.

EGR is there purely for emissions reasons.

Many people think that its to reduce HC emissions by recycling unburnt hydrocarbons through the engine again. Logical though this is, its not correct.

It is there to control the speed of the combustion process by adding a tiny proportion of exhaust gas - which to all intents and purposes contains no combustible material - to slow down the burn.

Fast burn = NOx (oxides of nitrogen).

Slow burn = unburnt hyrdocarbons.

EGR allows you to get a trade off between the two.

Because its an emissions thing, its only "on" in the part of the speed / load map where emissions are actually measured: usually below about 3500RPM and low load (up to about 33% of WOT). It will differ from engine to engine. The amount of exhaust gas added is very small (its usually taken from just one exhaust runner and sent to all the intake ports). I suppose it would raise your charge temps a bit, but in that part of the speed / load map I doubt that would matter.

And there endeth my knowledge on the subject! :cool:

So generally the UK car seems to be better.....sod's law. That'll be why I'm looking at Jap ones! I don't want an auto which is making things take longer I reckon, it's got to be manual for me. As for the insurance side of things, yeah...I have noticed a difference, about 25% usually I reckon. This is just normal though with imports as far as I can see, it was the same with my MR2 Turbo's too. Another thing for insurance, which willl hopefully help everybody is a friend of mine is a Director of an insurance company, fair enough it's not as big as your Direct Lines etc. but I'm working on him to get those of us with imports decent quotes. He's slowly coming around, so give me a bit longer and we'll see how it goes.:)

Don't forget , if you find a face-lift j-spec , you get prettier headlamp & sidelights (o.k. , personal opinion) , 17" wheels that come with the same big brakes as the U.K. cars ....& I'm sure driver & passenger airbags were available on the japs too?

If both are standard , the jap spools quicker giving better off the line performance , but the transition to #2 turbo isn't just as devastating . Also , the U.K. car may be heavier , but it's also quieter ... ie. less road noise .

If I were to buy again , I'd base my decision on the quality of car available .

:baa: :moo: :oink: ...wot , no pigs?

I wouldnt say the UK spec was particularly 'better', it has more toys but that makes it a heavier car.

Both can have the basic performance stuff done to them, decat/exhaust, and both give back about the same sort of power. The small brakes are a little weedy on the imports, but decent fluid and pads fixes that.

I only went UK spec as there was a nice 6sp sitting there which already has big brakes, big injectors and cruise control. I had tuned my import over 3 years to be pretty damn quick so the next stage was big brakes and big injectors. If I hadnt got the UK spec I would still be more than happy with the import.

If you can take the higher insurance then theres nothing wrong with imports at all, infact being a lighter car does make a difference to performance.

JB

Originally posted by Matt C

So generally the UK car seems to be better.....sod's law. That'll be why I'm looking at Jap ones! I don't want an auto which is making things take longer I reckon, it's got to be manual for me. As for the insurance side of things, yeah...I have noticed a difference, about 25% usually I reckon. This is just normal though with imports as far as I can see, it was the same with my MR2 Turbo's too. Another thing for insurance, which willl hopefully help everybody is a friend of mine is a Director of an insurance company, fair enough it's not as big as your Direct Lines etc. but I'm working on him to get those of us with imports decent quotes. He's slowly coming around, so give me a bit longer and we'll see how it goes.:)

• 1 year later...