The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Greddy Vs HKS FCDs

mattdavies

i been looking in to fuel cut defenders and whole searching the web i noticed that there a re two main contenters for fuel cut defenders, Greddy BCC and HKS FCD. Just wondering which is the better one ? i have read that the greddy is better the HKS due to how it works BUT i believe most people use the HKS FCD.

Any help or opinion is greatly valid

Edited by Gaz6002 (see edit history)

The difference is that the HKS affects the Turbo Pressure Sensor voltage all the time (not ideal), whereas the Greddy only affects the TPS voltage when the turbo pressure exceeds around 1 Bar.

This is not quite true. The HKS FCD changes the voltage at the certain voltage point onwards- so it does avoid changing off-boost map position. So this has the knockon effect of moving the map towards lean in order to allow for a mild boost upgrade. Lean is mean, especially if stock is rich for your setup.

Greddy clamps voltage. Some say this is better, and it's probably true that it's safer because it's doesn't lean.

Do you have a piggyback ECU?

The difference is that the HKS affects the Turbo Pressure Sensor voltage all the time (not ideal), whereas the Greddy only affects the TPS voltage when the turbo pressure exceeds around 1 Bar.

This is not quite true. The HKS FCD changes the voltage at the certain voltage point onwards- so it does avoid changing off-boost map position. So this has the knockon effect of moving the map towards lean in order to allow for a mild boost upgrade. Lean is mean, especially if stock is rich for your setup.

Greddy clamps voltage. Some say this is better, and it's probably true that it's safer because it's doesn't lean.

Do you have a piggyback ECU?

I think you may find that it is! :)

Taken from here:

The HKS unit reduces the signal coming from the turbo pressure sensor at a fixed percentage, which means that all the data coming from this sensor is corrupt.

The Greddy BCC does not alter the signal significantly (I measured a 2.0 millivolt gain) and clamps the signal at a preset voltage that is user adjustable over a fairly wide range.

No i dont have a piggy back ECU, I'm just goin for a simple BPU set up that works and is more fit and forget. but in the meantime i want whats best for the car. Why do you ask if i have a piggy back ECU ?

Because most have a built-in boost cut defender (volt clamp) anyway, like Emanage, AEM FIC, and some others.