The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manwithsupra's Racing Supra Project thread

ManwithSupra

Nice one - but why the bigger wheels? Just to clear the brakes? Handling will be compromised...

Yeah mainly just to clear the brakes, I don't really want to go larger then what I currently have to be honest but then the weight saving would be good over the UK heavyweights.

I thought it was the general consensus that nothing larger than 18" would be too detrimental to the handling? Perhaps someone could quantify/explain this? I'm pretty sure Steve and Pauls cars run 18's?

Ideally I want to keep the handling as good as it can be, but those UK's are so so heavy and losing unsprung weight is ideal!

Hmmm decisions.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

Any idea how much the car currently weighs?

Are you aiming to loose a particular amount.

It's gonna be one quick car!

Well it was weighed before the flat floor went on at around 1240kg, so adding the floor in would of added some weight so let's take a wild guess at 1280kg.

Once I get the car to a weigh station I will update.

I would just drive it as it is, surprised you want to upgrade it already!

I love the way the car is at the moment, quite frankly its the best thing I have ever experianced by a long way, any changes will be minor and only to better the car. The things I have listed are future plans, however as winter sets in, it would be nice to do a little bit of fettling for the track next year..

Dont worry its going to remain as track focused as it is now, If not more so later on! (I'm thinking slicks etc :))

As I have already mentioned in other posts, Ryan is very much going to be a continued part of the development of the car.

• 2 months later...

Just finished my racing steering wheel concept.. This is how I envision my new wheel setup to look like,

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/p480x480/393326_10150493972928802_524978801_8868991_1627519279_n.jpg

Going to have a look to see if i can get a few bits at the Autosport show :D

Also got my new 18" wheels to go on (so I can fit bigger brakes), just waiting to sort out the track rubber :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=144089&stc=1&d=1326156475

Well im not at all jealous. :tongue: wait, hang on, thats a MASSIVE lie. :D

Would love to see how this feels on the track. The wheels are mint and steering wheel idea is brilliant. If It was mapped so it has different traction control settings (assuming you have syvecs) which could be changed by a switch on the steering wheel, depending on conditions, it would be amazing. Similar to the manettino switch on Ferrari's!

Well im not at all jealous. :tongue: wait, hang on, thats a MASSIVE lie. :D

Would love to see how this feels on the track. The wheels are mint and steering wheel idea is brilliant. If It was mapped so it has different traction control settings (assuming you have syvecs) which could be changed by a switch on the steering wheel, depending on conditions, it would be amazing. Similar to the manettino switch on Ferrari's!

Correcto, Yep it has the Syvecs ECU so different power modes and traction control settings on the fly.

• 5 months later...

Ok I haven’t updated this thread for a while, so I thought I would List some of the things I have done since as well as future plans..

I do have pictures but just not on this PC (I will upload later).

As you already know I got my Rota Force wheels with a nice new set of R888's but this was mainly because I wanted to upgrade the brakes.

I was going to go for the Whifbitz AP racing setup and sell my almost new Ksports I had on my old Supra. However I thought why not give them a try on the new car (Sorry Mitch) So I went ahead and fitted the Ksports and I am pleased to report that so far they have been well up to the Job. So, for now I am going to stick with them and see how long they last. I will eventually go for the AP setup but for now the Ksports are doing very well.

Further development has been done on the heat shielding mainly around the rear fuel tank. I found that after long runs the fuel cell starts to get too hot due to the fact the rear exhaust box is directly underneath. The tank does already have heat resistant protection but I felt that it’s not enough, So I bought some Nimbus heat shielding material (nice and light) and fabricated an additional thermal barrier between the exhaust and the bottom of the tank which has worked well.

Also in addition to the tank heat issue, the inside cabin gets very hot! so much so that at my last track day the marshals stuck their hand in and commented to each other how hot it was in there. The last air temperature measurement I made was just shy of 40'c, It's something that I expected but something that on a hot sunny day could be difficult to handle. The Perspex windows have window opener sliders on them but when moving they do not draw the heat out of the cockpit, so in order to sort that I bought some large Pop-it Vents and installed them into the windows, now as you drive forward there is a nice refreshing cool breeze :) and has brought cabin temps right down.

Further development on Steering wheel, so now I have purchased a new quick release Boss kit (Lifeline Group N) in preparation for the steering wheel setup, the wheel will be made in the coming months so I will keep you posted on that...

Major future development plans...

Engine.

Some of you may have noticed in the tech section I have been asking about Crankshafts, Rods, pistons etc., this is because I am going to build another engine for the Supra but with a custom bottom end, this is mainly so i can increase the RPM limit to around 9k, The head on the new engine will be reworked to the same spec as the head that’s already on the car but with the addition of the hardware needed for 9k (higher load springs etc). Power will probably remain the same as now (600bhp) but I may have Ryan to do me another Map for say 700bhp.

Transmission.

Yep, I am looking to replace the 6 Speed Getrag gearbox with a Quaife 69G Sequential system, I have been in contact with Quaife and some engineering companies about making an adapter plate for the gearbox to the Stock Getrag housing, things are going well, but progress on this will remain slow as it’s not a priority.

Suspension.

I will also be looking to replace the 2 way suspension with a fully controllable kit, I am looking at a number of manufactures, at the moment I am really drawn towards the Nitron Kit that Whifbitz use on their race cars, I have heard nothing but good reviews but i am still in the process of looking into this.

With regards to the Suspension arms etc. probably end up sticking with OEM, as I can’t see a major reason why I would need to use a company like Ikeya apart from a slight weight saving, still looking into this too.

Carbon and Kevlar

there is going to be more carbon work on the car, Mainly to start is to replace some of the interior Aluminium panelling with Carbon to reduce even more weight, Also the Flat floor and rear diffuser will get the carbon treatment. You will see some updates on this in the very near future...

So some very exciting times ahead...

I will update some Pics in the next couple of days of work already done.