The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manwithsupra's Racing Supra Project thread

ManwithSupra

• 2 months later...

She's back together, last few things to get her sorted and she will finally be out on track very soon.

attachment.php?attachmentid=227158&stc=1&d=1526551060

If you have been wondering why shes been in bits, well quite frankly put there a number of things on the car which I was not happy with, stuff that had been rushed, bodged and well not really thought out.

I have been spending what time I have had between a new baby girl and running a business to work on her so hence why there have been no updates or much news.

The kind of things which have been rectified... Fire risk.. the car had a high risk of fire before especially as the car has a flat floor which basically seals everything in. Firstly, we had a single wall fuel aluminum fuel tank with no penetration protection apart from baffle foam. This has been changed to an ATL racing bladder tank with external cage and Aluminum case, we also have internal baffle foam, internal collector, external swirl pot, two internal walbro 255ltr pumps and a external Bosch 044 with an inline one way valve to the rail, the tank also has a one way filler neck which means in the event of a crash fuel does not come back out of the filler cap (if it was to be damaged). The second major fire risk was the oil return on the Turbo, something that I found out while on track. I had a funny sweet smell coming from inside the car as well as a odd oily mist on the inside of the windscreen, after coming in and looking in the engine bay it was clear that the turbo drain was resting on the hot manifold and was leaking oil. This has now been redesigned with a hard pipe which bypasses the hot manifold and into a AN10 fitting and hose to the sump. This means that there should be no issue with a potential oil fire there.

Wiring loom, this one is ongoing, and something which I will be addressing fully over the winter with an entire loom overhaul, for now though I have been removing unused connections which have been left hanging, freeing up space and weight and making everything look much neater also less chance of having a dodgy connection too. Also been getting rid of solder joints where I can and replacing them with proper Souriau fittings with crimped connections and Raychem spec 55 wire and sleeving etc.

Gearbox, as you know I installed a Quaife 69G sequential box on the car, this has been fine however we were getting some teething issues with it, turns out the adapter plate had been made very slightly out of spec and was causing some minor issues, so the box had to come off everything measured again and put back, the box was also inspected for damage for which I am glad to say there was none so all left to do again is bleed the clutch and set the pedal limit again and we should all be good.

Exhaust, the entire exhaust has been lagged from the down pipe to the rear silencers, this is to reduce the heat inside the car when shes running (amongst the other benefits of lagging an exhaust) I have seen temps of over 40°c when in the car and that is very uncomfortable when trying to go fast, especially when the windows don't wind down. Further cockpit cooling has been added via a carbon roof vent, this meant cutting a hole in the carbon roof (was not too happy about that) I don't think I have measured something so much to make sure its spot on. This has helped massively with keeping the car cooler inside.

Redundant parts : I decided to have a good look around the engine bay for redundant parts and found plenty, Mainly water hoses for an old turbo, after removing these hoses I saved an additional 4KG of weight and the engine bay looks less cluttered.

Badly positioned Items : I have also spent a lot of time moving badly positioned items in the engine bay, mainly things that would be effected by heat, having unnecessarily long hoses and wires because of the position etc. Its amazing how much time this takes.

So finally the car is in a position where there would be no reason for a fire like there was before, it should be more reliable with the changes I have made, so now I can now go and have fun on the track knowing that I have done everything with the car possible to keep it running right.

IMAG1192.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Hey Rich,

Glad to hear life is back on an even keel, hopefully stays that way mate. Look forward to following your progress and seeing more updates, what are your plans for the Supra this year?

Best of luck and good to hear from you. 

Cheers.

Pete

• Like 1