The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Your advice on my Supra insurance this year.

a98pmalcolm

Hay all.

Ok i spent bloody ages trying to sort my insurance on the phone to companys and i have finaly came out with 2 options both with benifits.

Option: 1 Sky Insurance

Total cost £790 fully comp

Insured to drive other peoples cars 3rd party

Im with them already so less hassel to contine with them

APR on paying monthy about 13% making monthly payments reaonable

£400 total excess

Option 2: HIC (Sister Company to Adrian Flux)

Total cost £785 fully comp

Insured to drive other peoples cars 3rd party

Like for like Mods cover

APR on paying month 34% which is VERY high, or 3 monthly installments with a set charge of £50 interest

But for my next year policy i get a 10 - 20% discount.

£400 total excess

What apeals the most with HIC is my 10 - 20% discount cover for next year, Sky Insurance bumped my insuance buy £160 this year and the only reason there offereing it now at £790 and not £867 (after lots of hassel) is because Competition Car Insuance offered it for £788 but Competition Car Insuance wont Insure to drive other peoples cars 3rd party which i need as i use my mums car here and there.

But with Sky i can pay a £200 deposit and pay around £65 a month without worry of paying silly amount of interest and im with them already so less hassel of sorting out all the paper work with a new insurance company, HOWEVER im going to have to go through all the hassel of insurance again next year as they will try and charge me more.

My feeling is going with HIC and pay my insurance outright.

What do you guys/girls think?

Thanks

Paul

The APR on the HIC policy is outrageous, I'd be a bit wary of the future discount claim as they'll be sure to state next year the base rate has risen, thus negating the discount (a common ploy by pretty much every insurance company - in any other business it would be called fraud, but insurance companies still seem to get away with it!)

Have you asked Sky about the 4 month payment plan? I use this every time. The payment is spread over 4 months but there is no APR, only a small fee. It makes things much more manageble rather than taking out a high APR loan for a year.

What Homer said. It might be worth finding out if HIC will commit to an actual 10-20% reduction next year in the final premium. Otherwise they can offset this reduction with any number of teeth-sucking reasons to raise the premium by 10-20% (or worse), leaving you where toy started. Insurance companies' premium calculation processes make FIFA's voting procedures look crystal-clear.

As said by Homer, what if HIC said next your your insurance is now £1,200 but we will knock off 20% for you as agreed. That will be £960 please sir, that price is if you pay in one go, if you don't then please add 34% more! :blink:

Did you try Competition Car Insurance in the end?

YEr i did thanks for directing me there way. There the ones that gave the cheapest quote and for the reason HIC and Sky matched there price but Competition woudnly cover me 3rd party on anyone elses car and i need that as i use my mums here and there..

Yer good point homer with HIC that HIC may bump up the price next year and then lower is 10 - 20 % mite be worth calling them tomoro evening and get in in writing then go from there..

Ok desided im sticking with sky. Especially as HIC didnt add the legal cover, it was then £802 with legal cover and i questioned there 10 -20 % off next years policy, but that 10 - 20 % what ever the premium would be so after a little shop about and haggling i could get the 10 - 20 % off from anywere.

Im more than likely not goin to pay a deposit as i dont need to and just pay monthly as i really want my management soon lol.

Thanks for all the advice people.