The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HDSpeedo is dead, long live aGPSpeedo

MrRalphMan

Ok, since I've ditched the old Windows Mobile phone for a Android phone, just over a year ago now, I've decide to play around with developing for the Android OS.

So I've knocked up a little GPS Speedo for Android. Works great on my HTC Desire, but I would like some feedback from other people.

Currently it has the following features.

• Will work in portrate or landscape mode.
  • Has a simple speedo with Units (Can be MPH, KPH or M/S), the speed (Useful I thought), Distance travelled, Max and Ave speed.
  • Google maps display that tracks your position.
  • A HUD mode on the simple speedo display.

There are plenty of things I'd like to add.

Track logging.

Journey logging (Ave, distance etc).

Better menu, the Landscape menu is a bit screwed.

Have a look at the photos and install the APK file if you'd like to give it a try.

Cheers..

Paul.

How do you find development on Android, it's a nightmare on iPhone due to all the restrictions :(

It's easier then an easy thing made easy. Well almost.

It's java, so close thought to c# to be easy to pick up and the Android framework exposes a lot of the OS's features. The attached app was fairly simple to put together.

Michael, not sure why it's not downloading the map, was the speed display working?

Yes and no. When on map mode it seems like once it gets a GPS lock it turns it off again for 30 seconds or so, then it comes back on again, gets a lock, turns off.

Strange I have tested our today and it downloaded the maps fine, maybe some one else could confirm if they work put not.

As for it dropping and reconnecting the GPS signal it should be set to do that every 10 seconds, mainly to save battery life. Maybe I should remove the speed counter on that screen.

Any other features you'd like to see implemented?

Paul