Explanation of the overdrive button

iain_spen

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jarl Ayari

Didnt think you could jump an auto??? I like the idea of the manually selected OD in manual mode, must be someone out there who could work it out...

Thats the problem with newbies like Me. Old threads are a wealth of useful information.

Andi

Well done. You passed the first test of the newbie :)

I don't know why you would want a manual overdrive selection in MANU mode.

When I want to do a little spirited driving etc, I keep O/D on, and press the MANU button on. This will drop the gearbox into 3rd, and then if you need more control over revs etc, you can then 'manually' drop the stick to 2nd or even 1st if nessa celery (I read it all too!). Push the gear stick through the box, like you would in a manual, and then if you do want to engage O/D, just turn the MANU mode off. Depending on the speed/revs the gearbox will then change up to O/D (4th) to enable top speed potential.

I hope this isn't too confusing, but I use it all the time, and its very effective, as I can cruise around all day in total auto, or knock it into MANU and give it some, depending on the road conditions, of course!

:)

The manu selection of o/d on and off is very useful if for instance you hit speeds over 120 regularly. Instead of hitting two buttons ie O/D on and then manu off you just hit the O/D button and leave the manu well alone.

A secondary use is if you cruise at like 45-50. If you have a manually selectable O/D you can force it to stay in 4th rather than continually dropping down every time you breath on the accelerator it stays in 4th right up until the ecu deems the engine cannot sustain itself so smoother driving and better economy.

• 3 years later...
Guest redana777

This one is right, o/d on

jake

my bad wording perhaps would make more sense if said if you have the button pressed in and the o/d off light on then you aren't going fast enough. Need this o/d off button to be "off"...not illuminated to engage 4th gear and thus have the higher speeds

• 2 months later...
That's probably cause a lot of people seem to think it's a magical button that makes the car go faster. It's really simple. An auto box goes 1st -> 2nd -> 3rd -> O/D (4th), having the "O/D OFF" turned on just causes the box to go 1st -> 2nd -> 3rd. That's it. Instead of 4 gears you now only have 3.

That's got to be the most straight forward and simplist answer EVER!

• 10 months later...
  • 5 years later...