The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1JZ-GTE VVTI install into JZA80 Supra thread

j_jza80

Quite an interesting thread I found of a Toyota Chaser VVTI 1JZ engine being installed into a mkiv Supra.

http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/showthread.php/47359-1JZ-VVti-JZA80-Supra-Conversion

Includes quite thorough details on the installation, including wiring descriptions. This probably isn't a route many forum members will take, but it's always a possibility, and these VVTi engines are actually quite cheap in Japan (i've seen several for circa £500 plus import fees)

For those who don't know, the VVTi 1JZ-GTE is a 2.5 litre engine with similar architechture to the 2JZ. The main difference, except for capacity of course, is that the VVTi 1JZ uses a comparatively large single turbo, compared to the 2JZ and non VVTi 1JZ twin turbo setup.

One of the great benefits I see with this conversion is this engine is that is was available until at least 2004, and featured in many more cars than the 2JZ, making them easily available and cheap.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Hey guys,

I've done this conversion myself, for anyone thinking about it, its a great path to follow.

I used a 1jzvvti from a jzz30 soarer, completed the conversion myself in my garage including all the wiring etc.

The motor is amazing, the boost comes on very early and very hard. It has 378nm@2400rpm. because it has the same amount of torque as a stock 2jz but at half the revs it makes it seem like a much bigger motor than it is. This motor is perfect for any street car.

Link to my build. http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/showthread.php/63303-JZA80-Supra-Aerotop-1jz-vvti-conversion

Mike

Hey guys,

I've done this conversion myself, for anyone thinking about it, its a great path to follow.

I used a 1jzvvti from a jzz30 soarer, completed the conversion myself in my garage including all the wiring etc.

The motor is amazing, the boost comes on very early and very hard. It has 378nm@2400rpm. because it has the same amount of torque as a stock 2jz but at half the revs it makes it seem like a much bigger motor than it is. This motor is perfect for any street car.

Link to my build. http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/showthread.php/63303-JZA80-Supra-Aerotop-1jz-vvti-conversion

Mike

Thanks for contributing :) I didn't expect for a second for someone who's done the conversion to post up here, epecially so soon! :D

Would you mind giving us a bit of background about your car (ie, did you drive it for long with the previous engine in? I'm guessing it was an NA by the way) How do things like reliability, maintainance, fuel consumption compare with the old engine?

I realise much of this is probably in the link, but i'd like as much info as possible in this thread.

Also, if you can recommend any companies that supply parts for these that would be great.

Thanks, Jason.

Thanks for contributing :) I didn't expect for a second for someone who's done the conversion to post up here, epecially so soon! :D

Would you mind giving us a bit of background about your car (ie, did you drive it for long with the previous engine in? I'm guessing it was an NA by the way) How do things like reliability, maintainance, fuel consumption compare with the old engine?

I realise much of this is probably in the link, but i'd like as much info as possible in this thread.

Also, if you can recommend any companies that supply parts for these that would be great.

Thanks, Jason.

Hi Jason,

I was actually a fluke that I saw this, I usually troll the Australian forums as I'm based in Sydney.

Sure thing, my car is a 96 series 2 aerotop (a bit rare these days in Australia). I had a 93 supra previously so this is my 2nd supra. I searched for a while for a s2 aerotop, i ended up flying up to Brisbane and driving it back (10hour drive).

It was NA auto. As I was doing this all in my garage by my self I didnt want to introduce too many opportunities for errors. I keep the 1jz sealed and used as many parts as i could from the 1jz. I used the stock jzz30 auto gearbox that came with the engine. I will be doing a manual conversion later in the year.

Reliability.... its been in for 7 months now driven every day... not one single problem. I was expecting some issues but nothing, not even a cooler piping blowing off. it runs beautifully and is perfect for the street. (cant wait to go manual)

Maintainance is the same as the old engine.. nothing new there

Fuel consumption... im yet to document all it accurately, but simple observation has been good. For daily driving to and from work it gets about 500kms per tank. the old NA motor was about the same. I think its due to the vvti and 2.5L compared to 3.0L. As mentioned above the single turbo used in the 3rd gen 1jz is much more efficient. Its improved fuel consumption by 10% over the early 1jz. Some great information here. http://www.3sgte.com/1JZGTE.htm

MODS... 3.5" exhuast turbo back, 600x300x75 intercooler.. the rest is stock. Others have made 200kw@wheels with an exhaust, im expecting similar if not a bit higher values when i dyno it.

Some pics from my other thread.

Mike

Brilliant. Thanks alot for your input :thumbs:

Your series 2 (or facelift as we call them) aerotop is also a rarity here. Very few were sold in Japan, and there's only 2 in the UK I know of.

Have you got any electronic resources regarding this conversion, such as wiring diagrams etc? I'd really like to host some info on here so we have a permanent resource. Any info you can supply would be greatly appreciated.

You will be hard pushed to find a VVTI 1JZ in the uk, all our soarer are TT and mostly auto, nice engine and if you can get 1 then well worth the hassle of fitting it.

Im hoping to go single turbo late this year depending on funds lol.

You're right, as far as i'm aware there's been none for sale on the mainland for at least the last 6 months, except for a purple VVTi Soarer for sale on Pistonheads.. There are a few for sale on Driftworks, all of which are in Ireland.

Ideally what i'd look at doing (If I pursue this) would be to get Jurgen to import one for me, complete with loom etc. I'd really love to see a torque graph of one of these compared to a non VVTi 1JZ, as full torque is achieved almost 2000rpm earlier.

1JZ VVTi inlet and exhaust diagram:

From this thread: http://www.soarerworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25575

Also, this thread contains some info on tuning the VVTi 1JZ: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?236921-My-Soarer-vvti-build.

And, a Japanese company that produces a T4 manifold for this engine: http://www.garageminiz.com/parts.html#manifold

If you're planning to do a straight 1JZ-GTE VVTi swap including turbo then I could see the appeal.

If you were considering upping the power by fitting a bigger turbo then the non-VVTi 1JZ-GTE maybe the simpler route, as there are a lot more off the shelf parts available - cams, turbo kits/manifolds, IC's, etc.

I've just been doing some researched based on the other thread, aftermarket parts for the VVTi seem very limited, I found a Japanese company that do a T3 manifold for a 1JZ-GTE VVTi.

There are also quite a few companies that do tubular exhaust manifolds to replace the stock cast manifold to fit the standard turbo, it may be possible to machine a T3 or T4 adapter so that you could mount a larger turbo in place of the stock one - space allowing.

If you're planning to do a straight 1JZ-GTE VVTi swap including turbo then I could see the appeal.

If you were considering upping the power by fitting a bigger turbo then the non-VVTi 1JZ-GTE maybe the simpler route, as there are a lot more off the shelf parts available - cams, turbo kits/manifolds, IC's, etc.

You're right, but I think there's just enough support to make it viable. The HKS Valcon is available for this - IIRC this is only to suit the inlet cam, but i'm hoping the exhaust cam is the same as the non VVTi item.

The reason I think it's worth the effort is the reports of how good an engine this is. Apparently the torque is very impressive for a 2.5l petrol engine. I'm trying to find some decent dyno plots for a car with this engine, bwhich has proved fruitless so far.

I've just been doing some researched based on the other thread, aftermarket parts for the VVTi seem very limited, I found a Japanese company that do a T3 manifold for a 1JZ-GTE VVTi.

There are also quite a few companies that do tubular exhaust manifolds to replace the stock cast manifold to fit the standard turbo, it may be possible to machine a T3 or T4 adapter so that you could mount a larger turbo in place of the stock one - space allowing.

http://www.garageminiz.com/PICT05481.jpg

Adapters are available from various companies already. A popular modification on these is porting the turbo housing, but TBH i'd rather be rid of the stock ceramic wheel turbo if possible. Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

This was my dyno from my 1jz vvti this was only with 3" turbo back exhaust and 12/14psi http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h65/shima60/Soarer/soarerdyno.jpg

(Ignore the blip that was the dyno)

400 lb/ft at 3000rpm :blink: That's more than most 3.0l BPU Supras develop at all! That must feel pretty rapid!

The power looks a little peaky though, but i'm sure with a well matched aftermarket turbo, that could be improved upon.

You're right, but I think there's just enough support to make it viable. The HKS Valcon is available for this - IIRC this is only to suit the inlet cam, but i'm hoping the exhaust cam is the same as the non VVTi item.

The reason I think it's worth the effort is the reports of how good an engine this is. Apparently the torque is very impressive for a 2.5l petrol engine. I'm trying to find some decent dyno plots for a car with this engine, bwhich has proved fruitless so far.

Yes HKS do both cams to fit the 1JZ-GTE VVTi. Certainly worth doing, it'll just be a little less straight forward and a bit pricier, good luck, be interesting project to follow.

Adapters are available from various companies already. A popular modification on these is porting the turbo housing, but TBH i'd rather be rid of the stock ceramic wheel turbo if possible.

Are adapters available so you can fit an aftermarket T3 or T4 turbo onto the stock cast manifold? If they are, a stock cast manifold machined out to match a bigger turbo would be an easy and reliable way to do it and a fair bit cheaper than buying an aftermarket turbular manifold. The 1JZ VVTi running a GTX3076R or GTX3582R would make a for a very fast street setup.

Yes HKS do both cams to fit the 1JZ-GTE VVTi. Certainly worth doing, it'll just be a little less straight forward and a bit pricier, good luck, be interesting project to follow.

Are adapters available so you can fit an aftermarket T3 or T4 turbo onto the stock cast manifold? If they are, a stock cast manifold machined out to match a bigger turbo would be an easy and reliable way to do it and a fair bit cheaper than buying an aftermarket turbular manifold. The 1JZ VVTi running a GTX3076R or GTX3582R would make a for a very fast street setup.

Yeah, adapters are available, but the size of turbo is limited apparently, due to it sitting under the manifold. I'll try and find some more articles on this, and post links.

The costs of this conversion don't even seem that bad in some respects. The cams may be expensive, but that manifold you posted looked well priced, and the engines are very cheap compared to 2JZs.