The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

(Full up-to date pics, specs and vids here.)

I have started to tinker with an Eaton M112 Supra supercharger conversion.

The plan is to mount a Jaguar XKR 4.2L V8 Eaton M112 supercharger over the Autobahn88 exhaust headers and feed it through a water-to-air charge-cooler fitted on top of the engine.

I am also building an N/A A340E - T.T. A343E manualised automatic transmission hybrid, good for 500ftlbs + and Suprastick compatible, so I can keep my 'flappy paddle' gear change.

The car has an active spoiler that I want to keep, which means no room for FMIC pipework, and the front will be 'busy' with 2 HHO generators, a water/meth system and 8 HID ballasts.

I also have a cold air induction feed that I want to keep, which means no space for a SMIC.

The distributor will be awkward to work around, but to change to coil on plug would raise the height of the cooler by a couple of inches and I don't want a 'Mad Max' bonnet.

attachment.php?attachmentid=123167&d=1290116233

Here is the charge cooler I have found to redesign for the job, it is rated at 600bhp+ and I will also have water/meth injection, so plenty of induction cooling there will be.

attachment.php?attachmentid=123168&d=1290116233

This is a charge cooler pre rad from a Jag X300, I have 2 of these, they are the perfect size to fit. They each cooled 326bhp, so a combined 752 will keep induction cool and deter detonation in this high compression build.

attachment.php?attachmentid=123175&d=1290117926

The port matched Autobahn88 headers have 10 layers of wrap and can be held by hand even after a good thrashing.

attachment.php?attachmentid=123169&d=1290116233

I have bought an N/A engine to use as a jig, and to have as a spare just in case the one I have now fails.

Here is a snap of the first mock-up.

attachment.php?attachmentid=123170&d=1290116233

The rockers have now been cut away to make room for the charge cooler to fit into the divot, and the 6 branch knuckle has been opened up ready to weld directly to the charge cooler. There is more work to be done cleaning up and reworking the casting.

attachment.php?attachmentid=123171&d=1290116233

I have finished re-working a set of runners, and they will go on as part of the N/A build as soon as I can organise a phenolic gasket, and then will be in situ ready for the supercharger conversion.

attachment.php?attachmentid=123172&d=1290117238

Here's a snap of the cooler in the cut out rockers ready to be marked for the side to be cut off and mate up to the knuckle.

attachment.php?attachmentid=123173&d=1290117238

Birds eye view ready for the cut and shunt.

attachment.php?attachmentid=123174&d=1290117238

js800_Supercharger_004.jpg

js800_Large-Charge-cooler.jpg

js800_insulation_3_001.jpg

js800_sc_mock_up_005.jpg

js800_sc2_022.jpg

js800_sc2_016.jpg

js800_sc2_019.jpg

js800_sc2_021.jpg

js800_Charge_cooler_pre_rad_003.jpg

Edited by David P (see edit history)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened to the 300hp NA? :D

Not had it dyno'd yet or what?

:blink:

I am waiting for components to complete the N/A build.

They should be here in a week or two I hope, then I can get it finished and on the rollers.

Then we will all know the magic number.

Whilst waiting, tinkering with this.

Am I missing something, where is the throttle, are you going to have it pre-charge cooler?

Give me a chance, I only started today.

I am going to use the N/A throttle body, and mount it pre charger, not interested to have sneezing noises.

Bob had his hands full with the charger, maybe I should have asked him to hold the t/b with his teeth. ;)

Give me a chance, I only started today.

I am going to use the N/A throttle body, and mount it pre charger, not interested to have sneezing noises.

Bob had his hands full with the charger, maybe I should have asked him to hold the t/b with his teeth. ;)

How you going to ensure equal flow to the runners from the charger core?

How you going to ensure equal flow to the runners from the charger core?

Look at pic 6.

After the cooler, the charged air enters a plenum before spliting into the runners, in fact, the whole charge cooler will be the plenum as it is the same width and open to the pre runner plenum.

Interesting project :) Have you considered spark plug changes? Also, what improvements are you making to the autobox?

I will obviously run cooler plugs, and outlined my transmission plans in first post.

"I am planning to build an N/A T.T. auto hybrid, good for 500ftlbs + and Suprastick compatible, so I can keep my 'flappy paddle' gear change".

I will obviously run cooler plugs, and outlined my transmission plans in first post.

"I am planning to build an N/A T.T. auto hybrid, good for 500ftlbs + and Suprastick compatible, so I can keep my 'flappy paddle' gear change".

Sorry, I meant access to the plugs to allow changes :)

Also, I meant specifically what will you be upgrading/changing in the box to make it cope with 500lb/ft?

Sorry, I meant access to the plugs to allow changes :)

Also, I meant specifically what will you be upgrading/changing in the box to make it cope with 500lb/ft?

Plug changes will be easier than with stock N/A, it only takes 5 mins to remove the cooler for access.

The stock T.T. A343E trans is good for 500ftlb+.

I will be hybridising this with an N/A trans using the N/A valve body and cable line pressure control, allowing me to use the Suprastick ECU.

I could change the prop and diff to T.T. but want to keep my one piece alloy prop and slip yoke connection.

So the tricky bit will be to machine the N/A output shaft to fit the T.T. clutch packs to the N/A splined tail shaft.

dont forget to support the snout when fixing the charger to the engine.I think you will find the flow rate of each model eaton is the same ,ie all 112 flow the same volume.The only difference i think is the same as the m90 which is intake port design,these tend to change in the generations.

The Eaton number refers to the cubic inches displacement per revolution, M112 = 112 cu in (1835cc) M90 = 90 cu in etc.

Not concerned to support the snout, if it is good enough for Jaguar, then it will be good enough for me.

It is the mounting of the s/c that I will focus on getting rock solid.

This afternoon I will be having an in car mock up and measure up, I think will need to cut off the Jag rear leg on the charger because it protrudes too far towards the exhaust manifold.

There are plenty of other options to get a good mounting.

Tinkered some more today.

As I suspected, there is not room for the rear dogs leg mounting bracket.

attachment.php?attachmentid=123339&d=1290422053

Mr Eaton uses exceedingly strong 'aluminum'.

Two brave hours with a steady hand and a disc cutter later....

I will trim it to the line another day, my hands were getting numb from the vibrations.

attachment.php?attachmentid=123340&d=1290422053

It will be tight, but it will go in with some 'easing' here and there.

There would be more room with stock headers, but not going back.

attachment.php?attachmentid=123341&d=1290422053

There is a limit to how far I can progress with the mounting brackets until the offset pulley arrives.

attachment.php?attachmentid=123342&d=1290422053

The remainder of the day was spent with a wild goose chase to a mechanical band saw at my pals farm to cut the charge cooler up, but it would not fit into the machine.

It looks like I will be discing all day on sunday too.

js800_sc3_005.jpg

js800_sc3_010.jpg

js800_sc3_007.jpg

js800_sc3_008.jpg

I have managed to get a U.K. spec fuel pump from a club member.

It will make a nice change to do something simple.

OE Denso 300lph, plug and play. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=123247&d=1290201284

And found on ebay a new Bosch 1,200 lph pump for the charge cooler circuit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=123248&d=1290201284

I will fit the water pump and charge cooler pre rads when I install the HHO system and water/meth injection.

They are all going in front of the rad, so it makes sense to do them all together.

js800_fuel_pump_001.jpg

js800_bosch.jpg