The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rich,

You made such a good job of that photoshopping, could you do me another please?

The plan for the rear is to invert an Impreza roof spoiler, shortened by 1 or 2 vg's and centred (cuts close to the vg's) then mounted by sandwiching the rear under the bumper tight up to the vg's and the front fixed to tank-guard.

Not sure which pic will work best, here's the best matching angles I've found.

i22150.jpgimages.jpgimages (1).jpgimages (3).jpg

lake 005.JPG$(KGrHqFHJEwFEob+7zYsBRN(5+uBSg~~60_12.JPG

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Rich,

You made such a good job of that photoshopping, could you do me another please?

The plan for the rear is to invert an Impreza roof spoiler, shortened by 1 or 2 vg's and centred (cuts close to the vg's) then mounted by sandwiching the rear under the bumper tight up to the vg's and the front fixed to tank-guard.

Not sure which pic will work best, here's the best matching angles I've found.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]169507[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]169508[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]169509[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]169510[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]169517[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]169527[/ATTACH]

Hi mate,

I'm just off to work but I'll have a go when I get home tonight :thumbs:

Thanks for having a go, maybe I'll just have to try it in old money. ;)

I braved some necktrickery today and replaced the cigarette lighter overheat-link purloined from Littler, thank you.

attachment.php?attachmentid=169599&d=1368750760

The fag lighter now works a treat, but the ignition feed Gremlin persists. :shrug:

I'll work from the other end and get him next time. :)

front 005.JPG

I've replaced the 4" tailpipe with a 3" I.D, matching the 3" diameter pipe and bore of back-box.

This has raised the exhaust-note, sounding crisper when booted and drone-less on cruise, it's only MIG tacked at the mo, I'll get it to the TIG welder tomorrow. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=169866&d=1369080416

attachment.php?attachmentid=169864&d=1369075849

attachment.php?attachmentid=169863&d=1369075849

new tail 003.JPG

new tail 004.JPG

new tail 001-001.JPG

Does anyone know where this variable resistor is located?

vaf stands for vane air flow, which is an old type of air flow meter with a flap inside which the incoming air pushes against, sorry I can't be of any more help than that. It may have been on some very early NA's ? in the wiring manual I have got for the supra there is no mention of the VAF, but shows the 2jz ge as having a MAF sensor, so it could be as I said only on certain models/market. MY wiring diagram shows different lighting wiring diagrams for usa and Canada. regards and good luck chris.

With the smaller pulleys to work from/to, I've extended the adjustment available for the idler.

Now adjustable from a max of 4.5" down to a min of 3.1", the angle of the slot keeps the idler in max wrap position whichever size pulley is used.

attachment.php?attachmentid=169939&d=1369238602

A test fit of the maxed 3.2" pulley achieved belt-wrap of 250 mm, if that doesn't give enough traction, I'll swap up a size. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=169940&d=1369238602

maxing 004.JPG

maxing 001.JPG

The new pulleys have each been test-fitted and paired with a belt. :friends:

Next mapping will benefit from;

Exhaust-port matching + exhaust-system upgrade + supercharger bypass-valve upgrade + water/meth injection + cam-timing adjustment.

Existing

4.0" (6PK2550 / 4061003) + 6.78" crank @ 6.8k eng rpm = 11,526 supercharger rpm = 11.5 psi (0.79 bar) @ hubs = 284 lb-ft & 320 bhp

Death or Glory R&D

3.8" (6PK2535 / 4060998) + 6.78" crank @ 6.8k eng rpm = 12,132 supercharger rpm = 12.? psi (0.8? bar) @ hubs = 3?? lb-ft & 3?? bhp

3.6" (6PK2520 / 4060993) + 6.78" crank @ 6.8k eng rpm = 12,806 supercharger rpm = 12.? psi (0.8? bar) @ hubs = 3?? lb-ft & 3?? bhp

3.4" (6PK2500 / 4060987) + 6.78" crank @ 6.8k eng rpm = 13,560 supercharger rpm = 13.? psi (0.9? bar) @ hubs = 4?? lb-ft & 4?? bhp

3.2" (6PK2490 / 4060980) + 6.78" crank @ 6.8k eng rpm = 14,407 supercharger rpm = 14.? psi (0.9? bar) @ hubs = 4?? lb-ft & 4?? bhp

3.0" (6PK2475 / 4060975) + 6.78" crank @ 6.8k eng rpm = 15,368 supercharger rpm = 15.? psi (1.0? bar) @ hubs = 4?? lb-ft & 4?? bhp

Some completer equations soon. :think:

attachment.php?attachmentid=169987&d=1369333446

Pulleys & belts 002.JPG

I've been dodging bad weather and weaving my dodgy spine through the pre mapping job list and these are the last remaining. :)

Strip exhaust-manifold, replace studs, fit new gasket and re-jig exhaust front-bracket

Fit new spark plugs and realign supercharger

Splice the ERL FiA2 into engine loom, twin pumps, Aquamist 2C, w/m gauge and ECU

Today was MOT day and the Old Girl passed with flying colours. :)

In perfect parallel sweep, the front brakes sent the needles off the test gauges and past the limit of the machine, so numbers had to be made up to keep the computer happy. :shrug:

I wish I'd taken my camera. :rlol:

Supercharged and with no cats, yet during the 'no cat' test showed such low emissions, that the Testing Technician went and checked that the BLAST he wasn't expecting when he trod on the clitoris pedal, hadn't buried his probe into the wall at the other end of the workshop. :rlol:

attachment.php?attachmentid=170191&d=1369837794

Emissions 002.JPG

Today was MOT day and the Old Girl passed with flying colours. :)

The front brakes test sent the needle off the gauge and past the limit of the machine, so numbers had to be made up to keep the computer happy. :shrug:

I wish I'd taken my camera. :rlol:

Supercharged and with no cats, showed such low emissions that the Testing Technician went and checked that the blast he wasn't expecting when he trod on the clitoris pedal hadn't buried his probe in the wall at the other end of the workshop. :rlol:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=170191&d=1369837794

Those are some seriously low emission numbers; nice one :thumbs:!

I don't know much about emissions hocus pocus, yet those low figures are indicative of an efficient engine, that is to become more efficient when the water/meth injection is up and running. :)

"CO = Carbon Oxide, concentration of the exhaust in percent of the total sample. = Partially Burned Petrol, This is the petrol that has combusted, but not completely. This gas is formed in the cylinders when there is incomplete combustion and an excess of fuel. Therefore excessive CO contents are always a sign of an overly rich mixture preparation. ( The CO should have become CO2 but did not have the time or enough O2 to became real CO2 so it is exhausted as CO instead.) CO is HIGHLY POISONOUS ODORLESS GAS! Always work in well ventilated areas!

HC = Hydrocarbons, concentration of the exhaust in parts per million (ppm). = Unburned Petrol, represents the amount of unburned fuel due to incomplete combustion exiting through the exhaust. This is a necessary evil. We don't want it so try to keep it as low as possible. An approximate relationship between the percentage of wasted fuel through incomplete combustion and the ppm of HC is about 1/200 ( 1.0% partially burned fuel produces 200 ppm HC, 10%=2000 ppm HC, 0.1%=20 ppm HC )"

This was not a 'mates job' and he was making a proper job of it, so I thought it prudent not to ask at the time, but for the record, when I get the chance I'll go back and have it given the full-monty emissions test.

Whilst I'm there, I'll make a video of the brakes beating the machine that was designed to beat brakes. :D

Here are the parameters it should fit into and interested to see what the water/meth and HHO will do to the figures.

attachment.php?attachmentid=170343&d=1370087703

The new DBA hats have arrived, I'll fit them whilst it's apart when I raise the front.

attachment.php?attachmentid=170344&d=1370087703

attachment.php?attachmentid=170347&d=1370087703

Fitted a pair of spoilers to try and keep the wipers on the screen, they look as though they fell off of Dame Edna's Saxo and the "stainless steel" is rusting already, but if they work I'll see if I can live with them painted satin black. :shrug:

attachment.php?attachmentid=170348&d=1370087720

I was outside having a smoke after midnight and heard a solid knock on wood so went to investigate, there was a gaggle of Eastern Europissheads passing by out the back and assumed they were indulging in the "hurt your own feet by kicking gates and fences" ritual they seem to like doing, so left them to carry on hurting themselves to save me the bother.

In the light of day, the knock on wood became clear.

Luckily for him/them I hadn't noticed this in the dark, if I had, the one who'd tried to steal it a couple of weeks ago would now have some ethno companionship in the beds around him.

attachment.php?attachmentid=170345&d=1370087703

attachment.php?attachmentid=170346&d=1370087703

emmissions graph.jpg

hats 001.JPG

hats 004.JPG

hats 005.jpg

hats 006.JPG

hats 012.JPG

I've booked the Old Girl in for the remap on Friday 28th June with the intention of giving her a run or three at the Jap Show. :senile:

There's not much remaining on the list and with a bit of help with the necktrickery, all is on schedule. :)

Strip exhaust-manifold, replace studs, fit new gasket and re-jig exhaust front-bracket. (When the O.E. gasket eventually arrives)

Fit new spark plugs and realign supercharger (After the above is done)

Splice the ERL FiA2 into engine loom. (Dependant on the healthy neck of A.N. Other)