The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Supracharger

David P

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it worth making up an engine loom and fitting it to the engine all fed to one connector , then fit the other end of the connector to the oem loom , so just one simple disconnect to remove the engine and all new wiring in the engine bay , seeing as you have set fire to yourself and sliced wounds in yourself , you might as well go for the hatrick with electrocution

I know its a bit late now, but yesterday I found that nice throttle body I mentioned!

Thank you, but now the Lexus one is shoe horned in, it's staying there.

Is it worth making up an engine loom and fitting it to the engine all fed to one connector , then fit the other end of the connector to the oem loom , so just one simple disconnect to remove the engine and all new wiring in the engine bay , seeing as you have set fire to yourself and sliced wounds in yourself , you might as well go for the hatrick with electrocution

The only mods the engine loom will need is to extend the wires to the TPS and ICV.

I will do that to the car engine loom so that when the conversion goes on it will be plug & play.

Thank you for the TT throttle and cruise cables. :thumbs:

You wouldn't happen to have an M112 bypass valve gathering dust too?

I think these supercharger conversations people are doing are fantastic

This conversion 'conversation' will soon be torque talk. ;)

Edited by David P (see edit history)

I am still scratching my bald patch re. the bonnet!

I have been looking at this Do-Luck version, I reckon I could save reinventing a wheel and mod the inside of this to clear?

attachment.php?attachmentid=129170&d=1301322711

Does anyone have one of these to sell, or trade with a U.K. spec or J spec bonnet?

jza80late8.jpg

My original plan was to encorporate the splined N/A tail shaft which would have allowed me to use my new one-piece aluminium prop, which in turn would enable me to switch between N/A and T.T. Torsens for sprint or top speed. :idea:

But the price for the engineering was more than buying 2 Torsen diffs and 2 propshafts. :badidea:

Plan B. :think:

Keep the T.T. tail shaft and use a T.T. auto prop and diff, it makes the job a lot simpler too. :)

(I later found it better to use an N/A 4.083 Torsen diff with a T.T. diff prop-flange)

The spring sunshine was lovely today so I have performed this Supra brain surgery outdoors in field conditions.

I have transplanted the N/A valve body, gearbox loom and cable line pressure control into the T.T. box, and tapped a hole into it's bellhousing for the cable mount.

Et Voila! The A340E-GTE/GE Hybrid is born. :friday: A 500+ ftlb transmission, compatible with N/A electronics and cheap as chips.

For this application the line-feed pressure control cable needs to be 2" longer to reach the Lexus throttle body on the supercharger conversion and now that I have one to use for a pattern I will get it made, the whole transmission upgrade will then be complete and ready to go in.

This plug & play unit will be compatible with the N/A ECU and/or Suprastick manualised control and will be more than strong enough for the job. :thumbs:

This hasn't been done before, I have worked this out by myself.

Here are the 2 victims! :eyebrows: T.T. A340E GTE top (with flange) and N/A A340E-GE below (with splined shaft and line pressure control cable)

attachment.php?attachmentid=129582&d=1301877666

Fluids drained, then steam cleaned - They both look very worried! ;) (Note: N/A left has J1 bell-housing, T.T. right has J3 bell-housing)

attachment.php?attachmentid=129583&d=1301877666

T.T. A340E-GTE layer 1

attachment.php?attachmentid=129584&d=1301877666

N/A A340E-GE layer 1

attachment.php?attachmentid=129585&d=1301877666

T.T. A340E-GTE layer 2 (Note 5 solenoids, there's another located under 2nd from left)

attachment.php?attachmentid=129586&d=1301877666

N/A A340E-GE layer 2 (Note: 3 solenoids)

attachment.php?attachmentid=129587&d=1301877833

T.T. A340E-GTE layer 3 (The actuators seen on the right are removed and shimmed to increase shift speed and firmness as required)

attachment.php?attachmentid=129589&d=1301877833

N/A A340E-GE layer 3

attachment.php?attachmentid=129588&d=1301877833

Layers 4

attachment.php?attachmentid=129590&d=1301877833

The Hybrids new brain :thumbs:

N/A A340E valve-body, loom and line pressure control cable transplanted into T.T. A340E-GTE.

attachment.php?attachmentid=129591&d=1301877833

All done and dusted, it's now a Plug & Play upgrade (Note:J3 bell-housing requires a hole drilling and tapping to locate the line-pressure cable)

(Either N/A or T.T. dipstick can be used, but it must be paired with it's original correct tube)

attachment.php?attachmentid=129592&d=1301877881

Further information about this transmission in link below.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/group.php?groupid=57

js800_hybrid_1_001.jpg

js800_hybrid_1_003.jpg

js800_hybrid_1_005.jpg

js800_hybrid_1_006.jpg

js800_hybrid_1_007.jpg

js800_hybrid_1_008.jpg

js800_hybrid_1_009.jpg

js800_hybrid_1_010.jpg

js800_hybrid_1_011.jpg

js800_hybrid_1_012.jpg

js800_hybrid_1_014.jpg

Automatic-Transmission-Serial-Number-Identification.pdf

The job list is getting shorter. :)

Now the weather has steadied up a bit, I will start doing a few jobs on the car, there is a lot to do.

As soon as I have the cable, I will swop in the complete new transmission and install the w/m pipe whilst I'm under there.

I want to test out the Hybrid and set up the Suprastick before fitting the supercharger.

Today the new bypass valve arrived, so I go the Main Dealer at Northamptonjam and see.

My reception was a little 'cautious', I was the bloke who had critisized the quality of Jaguar engineering.

Nevertheless, it turns out that the new one has the same flaw, they must have been cast from the same incorrect pattern mould.

I have been hand tailoring the butterfly in the original valve with some fine wet and dry paper, I gave both valves a blow job and found that I had reduced the leakage in the original to around 25% of the new one.

The original valve is the best by far and it's going in.

2 silicone elbows cut to match the odd lengths on cooler and some serious little clamps form a sound and squidjy mounting.

I put some waterpump grease on the butterfly it before it went in, it's now 100% efficient until that wears off?

attachment.php?attachmentid=129903&d=1302299007

I may have found a bulge donor!

It's the perfect size, unfortunately it's steel not aluminium, but doable. :think:

attachment.php?attachmentid=129902&d=1302299007

Fitted the Lexus wheels. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=129904&d=1302299007

js800_sc44_009.jpg

js800_sc44_012.jpg

js800_sc44_014.jpg

i thought that landrover panels are alluminium aswell.

I went into the Landrover Main Dealers and asked the salesman, from the brochure he quoted "all aluminium body panels", but on inspection I found that it is made from steel.

Now hunting for a dead one with an unwrinkled bulge to play with.

I much prefer the Cooper S scoop, which would look similar to the one in your pic.

I like it, that is the sort of thing I am looking to make, but with a wider bulge.

Thanks for that, where did you find that pic, interested to learn more about it?

yeah the mini one could work, and im affraid i can not remeber where i got it sorry dude.