The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big Brake Kits - Real Numbers

dandan

On the stock 323mm discs you'd be down by approx 13% on combined braking torque and the bias increases to the rear by 3%.

On a pair of 330mm discs you'd be down by approx 11% on combined braking torque and the bias increases to the rear by 2.5%.

In both cases I expect you'd be fine. On a track I assume you'll be running a race compound pad so you can easily make up for, and far surpass, the deficiencies in braking torque so they are irrelevant really. The main thing is the brake bias shifting to the rear slightly. I'm sure CW has his thoughts on how much extra rear bias a MKIV could take in track form (there's a whole heap of inputs and variables) but I suspect the 3% would be ok. :)

Top stuff Dan, thanks :thumbs:

With these calipers I could move onto the Performance Friction 01 compound as currently I am using the 97, it was the only one available for the stock MKIV calipers, the 01 has a harder initial bite as the 97 is more of an endurance compound while still being very very good, by far the best pads I have used to date.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you Steve, I'll give it a go....looks like it might be a bit long winded though as my table is pretty big :)

That would be great Luc - I'm sure everyone would love to know how the Stoptech kit compares.Give me a shout when you're free to do a few measurements....the most awkward one is measuring the piston sizes (anywhere from 28-42mm in 2mm steps) but according to this info it can be done without taking the caliper off :)

http://www.zeckhausen.com/How_to_Measure_Pistons.htm

Luc/Dan How did this go?

I can add some more info as well as I currently have the StopTech 4 Piston front only kit installed and now have a StopTech 6 piston 355mm front and 4 piston 355mm rear kit being delivered.

• 4 years later...

Just reviving this old thread to add a little more info. :)

suprabrakes.jpg

Dan, if you happen to spot this anytime soon, I would appreciate it if you could let me know how the LS400 calipers compare to the UK ones in terms of braking torque? The stock LS400 Discs are 315mm, and I don't think the LS400 calipers will fit over 323mm UK Discs.

Thanks. :)

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)