The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SRD Auto Gearbox Oil cooler Kit

Lee P

I bought this kit from you as well. :)

Could you tell where the hoses should go through (which spot) to come to the radiator's factory hoses mounting points?

We run then around the same place the factory PS cooler lines run

• 5 years later...

Fit this today. Think I fitted it right. Nice bit of kit. Left the flow going into the rad, then from The rad I put to the top side (hot) and the bottom one (cold) going back to the gearbox sump. So my thought was it goes from box, into rad, through the oem cooler, then through the gearbox cooler back into the sump 😊 if I’ve made an error here please let me know while bumpers off 

28C23303-A91B-4404-B24E-B9C411754771.thumb.jpeg.49debacaa1f5657035e92d1857e7ef73.jpeg
2D3D5E24-23EC-455A-93DA-3A68217EBC15.thumb.jpeg.d79dbde348304bd82baabe6ac6dbe653.jpeg634BFE8F-28B2-4969-91CE-B9F44701A10C.thumb.jpeg.8c9e7749225a67d4f2fb4f1b14d9f327.jpeg

• Like 1

I thought these were generally fitted when you replace the OEM rad (so you have a rad without the gearbox cooler built in)

2 lots of cooling for the oil might make it "too" cool? im sure somebody with more knowledge will know.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

I thought these were generally fitted when you replace the OEM rad (so you have a rad without the gearbox cooler built in)

2 lots of cooling for the oil might make it "too" cool? im sure somebody with more knowledge will know.

My understanding was that by using the original cooler / through the rad it allows the oil to come up to temperature

Edited by tayr (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Ric said:

True, it would come upto temp quicker. But once at temp the rad/water would hold it around 90/95 with another cooler it might bring it down further below optimal temp? not sure. 

Yeh I’m not 100% either. I know majority bypass the stock cooler entirely but as the car won’t be used in winter I’m not really sure if it will be an issue. Will wait and see if others have plumbed this way.

i was debating running a thermostat with it. I did look at installing a temp gauge but that looks to be a real pain in the backside to do

edit: just seen AEM do a trans temp gauge, it appears they do a fitting which basically acts as a drain plug which the sensor screws into, saving the hassle of welding anything. If it's the same thread that could be pretty decent.

Edited by tayr (see edit history)

Can't comment on rad to gearbox piping. Not setup an auto before.

A thermostat isn't a bad idea for a big cooler but for the one you have, I wouldn't worry.

An inline temp gauge would be cool. Even a cheap one would be cool. But maybe not essential.

If you're aiming to run big hp (or big for its rating) I'd get a gauge.

Personally. I'd fit leave it as you've set it up. No point behind a rad, if its a summer car. Just my thoughts. Kit youve fitted looks decent.

Surprised you're not also fitting engine oil cooler.

• Like 1