The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What oil for Ford Fiesta zetec engine?

SupraP-Z

Hey guys, have a question about what oil i should be using in a 1.4 zetec engined ford fiesta? In the manual it states i should be using SAE 5W-30, but it says if i dont have that i can also use 10w40.

Went down to Eurocarparts and they just gave me 10w40 because the engine has over 80,000 miles on it (bought it already).

Got home and a look on the net, and it wasnt really clear what i should be using. I did find a bunch of stuff saying something about valves sticking if higher viscosity oil is used, and zetec engines are only really are compatible with the 5w-30?

Im confused...what do i use? :S

Thanks for any help :)

5w30 would be what you would get in a ford service, saying that 10w40 wont hurt it.

Although if this is oil is used and your engine internals are not actually that worn and at 80k if regularly serviced I would say they probably are not it may seem to have less performance.

Note:The alternative viscosity oil's in the hand book are usually a guide for topping up and external ambient temp differences. E.G a hot or cold country.

Hmm, not sure! It seems "pre-detonation" is a mistaken term as you correctly pointed out. It's something I read here:

http://www.ukfiestanetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=166190

Indeed it is.

The link below explains both terms better than I could:

http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Articles/Engine/Detonation/Page_2.php

Edited by ugp
Fat Fingers - Spelling (see edit history)