The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance Advise?

a98pmalcolm

You Should Go With  

20 members have voted

1. 1. You Should Go With

• Aviva And Save £300
    • Sky Insurance and Have everything declared And Pay The Extra £300

Hay guys, ok my insurance is due in a few days, so iv been shopping and getting the best prices and I just wanted to see what your thoughts were on the 2 options I am toying between.

Option 1: With Aviva fully comp £500, not declaring the mods, HOWEVER when i had 2 bumps last year (not my fault and no claims on my policy) when the 2 different accesors came out and questioned the cars looks I answered "that’s the way it was imported" and never another question back.

Option 2: With sky Insurance £780 every mod declared including decats, BPU, respray, body kit even the water-cooled injection etc etc..

I feel more towards the Sky Insurance, as everything is on paper and proper. But its nearly another £300... (but worth it TBH)

Iv started a poll and feel free to add comments

Thanks for your time

Paul

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

Having insurance without declaring mods is akin to not having any insurance IMO. In that respect it's a waste of £500. Better to spend a few more quid than be staring at a letter from your insurers saying that they won't pay for your car if you bin it. If you had to replace 2 back tyres would you choose cheapies or go for the good stuff? Wouldn't scrimp there would you?

think what you need to do is tell both insurance companies the same stuff and i think you will find that sky will give you the better quote if not they will do their best to match what you have been quoted else where

i was expecting to be stung massively this year but after hitting a hare last year and causing £3K worth of damage, i then renewed for £440 fully comp and protected NCB for the year a few month later i wrote the car off and was paid out £5K my insurance this year is £570 fully comp but without protection. End of the day i like to think I am being a loyal customer :D

It's only a matter of time until the police run checks and then they'll have your car off you.

cant see the police asking your insurer if mods are declared, at the end of the day they just want to know if its insured or not.

but anyway, if your car is modified you will need to declare it.

if you want to be paid out for your car that is.

I've been with Sky the last few years, all mods declared and agreed value - definately worth it. Not sure if they are still doing the agreed value for new policies, but it was an extra £50, I think, for my policy and that covers all my carbon panels and everything.

If you're going to have insurance & not declare mods just to save money, you might as well just take out 3rd party cover, it'd be as much use.

cant see the police asking your insurer if mods are declared

I was stopped in Scotland once for a 'routine check' ;) and the policeman checked all documentation was in order. He checked that it was insured at the same address it was registered and he checked that I had declared the mods! (obvious ones like wheels, exhaust, induction, BOV and gauges).

cant see the police asking your insurer if mods are declared, at the end of the day they just want to know if its insured or not.

Not the case at all. In a previous life I had a car impounded and rigorously checked by traffic police shortly before I was banned from driving at night in Guildford. Insurance fraud is one of the biggest crimes committed by people on the road, and they are rightfully clamping down on it.