The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota Engines - 2JZ-FSE and 2GR-FSE

Wez

I've got a contact in the states who can get the 2GR-FSE's at a decent price with loom, accelerator pedal, ecu, etc for installation over here. There's a fair few of the 2GR-FE's been put in to MR2's now. Great engines when put on a nice manual box.

I've got a contact in the states who can get the 2GR-FSE's at a decent price with loom, accelerator pedal, ecu, etc for installation over here. There's a fair few of the 2GR-FE's been put in to MR2's now. Great engines when put on a nice manual box.

If wiki is to be believed then I would agree, nice power and torque by the looks of it, I wonder if there are any Getrag bell housings.

a bit of Wiki

In around 2000, Toyota introduced what are probably the least recognised members of the JZ engine family – the FSE direct injection variants. These FSE 1JZ and 2JZ engines are aimed at achieving minimal emissions and fuel consumption together with no loss of performance.

The 2.5-litre 1JZ-FSE employs the same block as the conventional 1JZ-GE; everything up top, however, is unique. The ‘D4’ FSE employs a relatively narrow angle cylinder head with swirl control valves that serve to improve combustion efficiency. This is necessary to run at extremely lean air-fuel ratios around 20 to 40:1 at certain engine load and revs. Not surprisingly, fuel consumption is reduced by around 20 percent (when tested in the Japanese 10/15 urban mode).

Interestingly, normal unleaded fuel is enough to cope with the FSE’s 11:1 compression ratio.

The direct injection version of the 1JZ generates 147 kW (197HP) and 250Nm (184ft lbs) – virtually the same as the conventional VVT-i 1JZ-GE. This highly efficient engine is fitted to the 2000 Mark II, 2001 Brevis, Progres, Verossa, Crown and Crown Estate. All are fitted with an automatic transmission.

The 3-litre 2JZ-FSE uses the same direct injection principle as the smaller 1JZ version but runs an even higher 11.3:1 compression ratio. This engine matches the conventional VVT-i 2JZ-GE with 162 kW (217HP) and 294Nm (216ft lbs). The 2JZ-FSE is fitted to certain 1999 Crown models and the 2001 Brevis and Progres. Again, all use automatic transmissions.

I recon one of these running on LPG would make for a great daily driver :)