The mkiv Supra Owners Club

WTB TT Supra

Guest hell_rider

Guest hell_rider

Hello there,

I have been a Supra lover from a very young age, have owned an 1992 MR2 Turbo so far with some mods that brought it to ~300bhp.

I am now interested in buying a TT Supra with max 70k miles prolly April/96 onwards years (the less the better depending on the age). I have found plenty of good looking ones in various sites most of them Jap Imports since the UK ones although scarce have too many miles on em and are rusty and looking to get it to Cyprus which is where I am from (I am currently studying in London).

My basic question is.. Should I go with a 6 gear manual or a Semi-Automatic transmission and how many gears does the Semi-Automatic one have? I am planning on modding it in the future quite a bit pushing at 500bhp at first as street car and maybe even 800bhp later on still as a street car. How much BHP if any can the Semi-Automatic transmission hold?

I do apologise if this has been asked before but I can't work my way around the search function..

Thank you all in advance for any help.

Edited by hell_rider (see edit history)

The auto box can't hold anywhere near what you're after about 500 max with extra cooling, the getrag 6 speed is superb though and will easily take those power levels all day. 4 gears on the tiptronic, it's the same box as the regular auto's.

Guest hell_rider

Ahh darn it I was hoping that it would be 6 speed on tiptronic lol. thanks for the info I guess I will start looking for a 6sp manual then. I had some very low mileage tiptronics in mind now I need to start looking again lol

Edited by hell_rider (see edit history)

Guest hell_rider
Looking up "Supra" under Wikipedia to get some basic fundamental knowledge is hard.

wow I guess you didn't have anything smarter to say huh? ;)

Guest hell_rider

So I've noticed. Do you think the V160 or V161 gearbox is best ? From what I read they can handle quite enough HP at max 1000-1200 which is amazing!

So I've noticed. Do you think the V160 or V161 gearbox is best ? From what I read they can handle quite enough HP at max 1000-1200 which is amazing!

Ryan Woon runs some massive supra's in the US, some claim to be around 1600hp with the 6speed.

Looking up "Supra" under Wikipedia to get some basic fundamental knowledge is hard.

What a c0ck. I can see your time here being very short.

Back on topic, if you wanted an auto to handle bigger power (excess of 500hp) there are a couple of uprated autoboxes available mate like the TH400 and the Boostlogic box ;)

Guest hell_rider
What a c0ck. I can see your time here being very short.

Back on topic, if you wanted an auto to handle bigger power (excess of 500hp) there are a couple of uprated autoboxes available mate like the TH400 and the Boostlogic box ;)

hmmmm thats something I didn't come across and will have to look into ;) thank for that !

*EDIT* Well just had a look in forums and google. seems it would be a hassle and expensive to get either of those especially since temperatures in Cyprus in the summer hit 40C and air is hot.. I would prolly blow it in a week lol. I could however buy an auto and convert it into manual in the future, not preferable but still an option if I don't find my dream car around lol

Edited by hell_rider
EDIT (see edit history)