The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suggestions & planning thread: best sights & roads in Western europe

SteveR

I've been planning on doing this for years: 10ish days on mainland Europe seeing a few sights and threading between them on the best roads I can find, taking in a day or two at my beloved Nurburgring somewhere along the way.

If that sounds appealing, and you're not put off by the likely amounts that fuel, food and accomodation and ferry costs are going to be, then get chatting in this thread with your ideas for your perfect trip. I know a few people have considered doing something like this at some point, and several of you have already: I want input!

Ultimately everyone is free to do what they want, but I'm going to plan a route I intend to carry out sometime in the Summer months and open it up to a controlled number of others to come along for the adventure if they think they'd enjoy it.

A plan is barely formed in my mind but staring at a huge map of Europe I bought just to help plan this trip I'm thinking along the lines of:

• Ferry out of the UK, perhaps Portsmouth->Bilbao (Spain)
  • Nab the Millau Viaduct (that mega bridge in France) on the way to
  • Monaco (perhaps a day at a French beach resort on the way if the distance is too great)
  • Alps, Alps, Alps!
    • San Bernardino Pass
    • Stelvio Pass
    • etc!

[*]not sure what needs to go here

[*]track day at Spa and/or public day(s) at the Nurburgring

[*]Amsterdam?

[*]Home (probably ferry Dunkerque-Dover)

Edited by SteveR (see edit history)

Steve i would love to do this, oviously its dependent on a few factors such as cost and when it would be so id have to consider them 1st before saying yes :)

Definatly sounds like a good idea and a great driving holiday.

Quite like how you threw in amsterdam on the way back :D

Im a maybe, Depends if the wife lets me, how many days you thinking?

...10ish days...

;)

id have to get a quiet exhaust for the trip, my 4" would give me brain ache, i think id swap seats with my na aswell, stock seats would be far better than my buckets for such a long trip.

When a route is more firm and I start to look more at the distances involved between each likely stopover, I'm going to try and build in days with little/no driving, preferably somewhere lady-partner-friendly. If I do this, it'll be with Kate (and possibly Dan as well), so it won't be about driving hundreds of miles every day.

That also means people can catch up after any unplanned delays or after altering the route to suit their tastes but meeting up with the group a day or so later.

If the trip becomes very popular (which I doubt, but just in case) I've already looked at bringing luggage/tools/spares-van-driving translators/mechanics with us. :cool:

I'd be in if we left the supra's at home and had 500 notes each to buy a car... :D lets make things interesting!

I've got my Supra precisely for doing things like this. It'd be a crime to leave it at home and take something else instead and I'd regret it every time a nice bit of tarmac turned up.

The euro-trip I organise will be for Supra drivers only: if that means it's just me, that's fine! ;)

There are a good selection of organised events for cheapo bangers chasing across Europe, this isn't one of them. :p

I'll keep an eye on this thread - a Supra owning mate will be coming over with his gf to visit in August, and we'll be swinging past the Nurburgring between 26th and 28th of August. It'd be awesomely cool to be there at the same time as a bunch of Supras :)

This sound ace however I have a few problems,

1. I no longer have my supra

2. lack of money

Man i'am going to be gutted when you guys leave for this trip :(

Can you not hold on untill next year when I have another supra :D

No but thanks for asking :p

As a suggestion for those who cannot run to that many days, run a loop up to scandanavia and then back down to Belgium and then the second loop down to the Alps and back up.

People can then join for whichever bit they can get the time off for and those who can do 10 days get a great range of roads and views.

:D Hi Steve just been looking into the costs of the Portsmouth to bilbao ferry in July ( thats booking up fast !! ) is £415 just to Bilbao not return

Dover -Dunkerque is the cheapest crossing £36 return depending on what time and day we sail,

Ive looked at some routes down to Italy stopping at campanille/premier B&Bs costing around £60-75 euros a night depending on where we stop etc etc

then a hop into Switzerland to attack a mountain pass ( unsure of the costs for the tolls for the motorways ? unless we plan around them ;) )

then into Italy and stop in the Stelvio nationalpark for a day or so ( Hotel costs from as little as 50 euros to 130 euro a night B&B )

then maybe head upto Nurburgring ( taking a couple of days ) and stop at Edgars for a couple of nights before heading home

Cheers

-Ian-

Edited by Ian Ian (see edit history)