The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nurburgring trip 2010 (?? July)

T2 MSW

:search: Nobody going this year ?

Cheers

-Ian-

I'm off over there 2nd half of May. :)

Then off on a tour down to Munich, Austria, Italy and Monaco.

Should be a good run out.

So doing a visit to the Nurburgring as my first stop and then again on the way home ;)

:search: Nobody going this year?

I am. If nobody else is going to organise it I'll have a look at dates and get something rolling.

hmmmmmmmm, anybody willing to lend me a 2jz engine to put in my altezza? would love to have a thrash around there!

Your Altezza will be great around there as it is Adnan, be nice if you came along. :)

I'm off over there 2nd half of May. :)

Then off on a tour down to Munich, Austria, Italy and Monaco.

Should be a good run out.

So doing a visit to the Nurburgring as my first stop and then again on the way home ;)

I trust we're all invited? That sounds like a fun trip. :D

I think its fair to say that some people get just as much satisfaction out of their Nurburgring visits by going solo and some get more satisfaction by going as a group.

If there are no group visits being organised this year then just simply go by yourself :)

There is now a good resource of info on this forum about how to go about organising your own trips over there.

Planning a trip is straight forward and easy.

(1) Check nurburgring calendar for public open times.

(2) Select a few days which would be suitable.

(3) Book hotel.

(4) Book ferry.

(5) Buy travel insurance

(6) Buy euro breakdown cover.

(7) Bon voyage....

The only issue that might be a problem to some/most is the fact that you won't be fully comp covered by your uk insurer when you are on the Nurburgring.

It is now near impossible to get your uk insurance company to provide cover for lapping on the one-way toll road that is the Nordschleife (north-loop) Nurburgring.

And because of this many decide that they drive according to the risk involved.

ie. don't treat the track as a ...well a track. Treat it as a fast road and treat other traffic as traffic and not competitors.

If you were to have an fault accident then your UK insurance company are legally obliged to cover 3rd party costs (under EU law) if you don't have the cash on damand... but your uk insurer is entitled to recover the costs from you when back in the UK.

So rule number 1 is never to cause an incident at the N'Ring !!

Make sure your car is in full working order and you drive in accordance to the normal road laws in Germany.

If you go with that frame of mind then you should have few worries.

I've been many times now and seen many accidents there. A lot are due to people pushing for lap times and racing other cars. Others are due to people driving well outside their capabilities. Especially in the rain.

The above makes it sound like a scary place.....it can be if you treat it like a testing ground, but if you are just after some good old driving fun then it can be just as safe* as most other roads.

*disclaimer - safe here means driving within your own and the car's capability. And the fact that there is no traffic coming in the opposite direction ;)

Edited by AJI (see edit history)

Good write AJI.

Just for information; hotels (Tiergarten, Motorsportshotel and so on) are getting filled up. The May weekends seems to be close to, if not fully booked. I'm guessing this is the same case with the summer time. There seems to be fewer complete weekends open for the public than previous years making these very sought after and therfore being booked quickly.

I wouldn't worry too much about aiming for the complete weekends where the track is open each day from 08:00 until 19:30....these tend to be too busy and prone to accidents and track closures.

So, you end up spending lots of time just waiting around for cars to be towed off the track.

I find the best times to be during the week.

Much quieter and less brits thinking they are the next Lewis Hamilton.... ;)

There is a lot to sightsee around the Nurburgring area, a good plan might be to spend the morning visiting places like Cochem, Koblenz, the Mozel river etc. and then return to the track in the afternoon or the evening for a good blast.

i was talking to a guy at work regarding the ring he told me that in event of a crash say into a barrier there is alot of cost not just to your self to fix your car when you get home but also to the track owners as you have to pay for the thing you crashed into also pay them to have them clear the track of any bits of metal etc and then to have the car towed , just wondered if that was all correct cheers also a friend of his that did crash and ended up costing a nice amount of money said there is alot of laws on the track ie slowing down for other cars bikes etc also that certain cars bikes have right of way on the track and letting them past is a must 1 car ended up making him break rather sharp on the corner to let the guy go by him but ended up going off the track causing him to hit the object think it was a billbored but he had to pay for that as well

i was talking to a guy at work regarding the ring he told me that in event of a crash say into a barrier there is alot of cost not just to your self to fix your car when you get home but also to the track owners as you have to pay for the thing you crashed into also pay them to have them clear the track of any bits of metal etc and then to have the car towed , just wondered if that was all correct cheers also a friend of his that did crash and ended up costing a nice amount of money said there is alot of laws on the track ie slowing down for other cars bikes etc also that certain cars bikes have right of way on the track and letting them past is a must 1 car ended up making him break rather sharp on the corner to let the guy go by him but ended up going off the track causing him to hit the object think it was a billbored but he had to pay for that as well

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=173101

thanks for that steve, any idea how much the whole trip normally costs or a run down of costs for the trip cheers suppose peoples costs will be different cosidering distance from the ferry fuel bills where you stay for the night etc .

thanks for that steve, any idea how much the whole trip normally costs or a run down of costs for the trip cheers suppose peoples costs will be different cosidering distance from the ferry fuel bills where you stay for the night etc .

If you look at the info in that thread, I included a costs calculator. I really did put EVERYTHING I know into that thread.

• 3 months later...

Just spent a week at the N'ring and saw a yellow porka go round the track spilling fluid from a damaged front end.

It resulted in 3 bikers biting the dust.

When the porka finished the lap the police were waiting for him, put him in handcuffs and carted him off to the station.

:blink:

Moral of the message is that if you crash then you are very much either in financial pain or legal consequence.

The track is an amazing place, just have to give it plenty of respect and be fully aware of what is happening around you.

Saw you down there on the day we biked around the track. Never got a picture though :(

We were 5 supras and a bunch of other stuff down there. Great weekend, great weather and not as many people and/or accidents (closed track) as I feared.

Spooky story you got there though. I saw the police comming to get him. What a tool driving around leaking fluids. I KNOW that must have been expensive, as guy from our group spilled oil last year over 400m. That ended up in somehting like 2000£+ excluding pickup. Luckily his insurance covered most of it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sure i mentioned spa to you at oulton but the day at the ring was last minute, your car in for the cage then?

You did mention Spa mate but I cant make that :(

Car is stripped ready for the cage but that will be done over the winter. Brakes need looking at and the turbo has blown a gasket which im looking to fix over the coming weeks.