The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Legal Sizes For Import Number Plates DVLA Confirmed

a98pmalcolm

Hay all.

Ok I went to my local number plate maker getting them to show me what my personalised plate will look like. I mentioned about the characters on the front plate for imports can be 64mm in height.

Now the guy there does amazing jobs with plates and all graphics! But he disagreed and said it has to have the characters at 79mm in height. Jurgan told me they can be smaller and I read on some websites that the characters can be 64mm in height at the front.

So I e-mailed the DVLA with the question and yes they can be 64mm in height. I have pasted the reply I got for any of you that get told that a Jap imported car number plate has to have the characters 79mm in height by there local number plate maker.

The Reply:

Dear Mr Malcolm

Thank you for your email received on 11/12/09. Your email reference number is 186847.

The Road Vehicles ( Display of Registration Marks) (Amendment) regulations 2002 SI no. 2687 came into force in November 2002.

These amendment regulations introduce a new regulation 14A, making special provision in relation to the size and spacing of characters in the registration number of some imported vehicles. These regulations also include the display of motorcycle sizes number plates on imported vehicles. The provision only applies to vehicles imported into the UK which do not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval, and are so constructed, that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display on the plate of a registration number in conformity with the requirements of regulation 14.

Also contained is an amendment to regulation 3, to prohibit the use of a number plate on which the background is patterned or textured, or gives that appearance.

Where a vehicle has been allocated a UK registration number, the number plate must comply with the specification and standards laid out in the Road Vehicles ( Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001, as amended. Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display numberplates with smaller characters if the vehicle does not have European Community Vehicle Type Approval and the vehicle's construction/design cannot accommodate standard size numberplates.

The dimensions for the smaller sized plate are:

• each character in the registration number must be 64mm high

the width of each character of the number, other than the letter 'I' and the figure '1' must be 44mm

• the width of every part of the stroke forming a character in a number must be 10mm

the spacing between any two characters within a group must be 10mm

• the vertical spacing between groups of characters must be 5mm

• the width of a margin between the number and the top and lateral sides of the numberplate must be not less than 5mm

• the space between the bottom of the number/character and the bottom of the plate must not be less than 13mm, but within that space, the space between the bottom of the number and the top of the name and postcode of the person the plate was supplied must not be less than 5mm.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla/cegemail/directgov/en/reply_form_vehicles.html

When filling in the form the email reference number 186847 will be required.

Regards

G Parslow

Customer Enquiries Group

DVLA

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The provision only applies to vehicles imported into the UK which do not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval, and are so constructed, that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display on the plate of a registration number in conformity

Which confirms that the smaller import plates cannot be used on the front of a supra, but can be used on the rear :) Which is what I've been saying for years ;)

Guest EncoreWRC
Which confirms that the smaller import plates cannot be used on the front of a supra, but can be used on the rear :) Which is what I've been saying for years ;)

True, but I don't feel that I have room on the front of my car to fit a large number plate on the car's front bumper. If I ever got pulled for that I would be refusing an FPN, having my day in court, pleading not guilty to go to trial and then walk out a free man as Magistrates have to work on reasonable belief, and most of them don't have the knowledge of traffic law to convict someone if you put a valid arguement across about plate size, and imported vehicles.... Been there, done that and got the T-shirt with the district circuit judge commending my presentation to the court and clarifying the inpertpretations of the law... whatever that meant?

However, I am not disputing your comment.... as with all things in life, different people perseve the same written text in different ways. And if a normal person "believes" your point is valid then a conviction could never be upheld.

yeah i carry a print out from the dvla website in my glove box just in case.

What i really want now is to find official documentation stating that imports can run without cats if manufacture is before 95(?) and pass an emissions test. Then i can use a closer garage for mots.

is that really true? "imports can run without cats if manufacture is before 95"

The provision only applies to vehicles imported into the UK which do not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval, and are so constructed, that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display on the plate of a registration number in conformity with the requirements of regulation 14.

If the UK car allows the fitment of a standard size plate then so does the import. :)

Ftting an aftermarket front bumper shouldn't allow you to use a smaller plate either.:p:hide:

I had a small front plate fitted when I got the car so I just left it on, the Police pulled me over for having an extra space in the rear plate. He asked me what the front plate was like without even looking at it so i told him.

I saw the error of my ways and was more than happy to fit standard plates, I should've done it earlier. You soon get used to the standard size front plate and it's nice to be legal and not to give the Police an excuse to pull you over. :)

Hay all.

Ok I went to my local number plate maker getting them to show me what my personalised plate will look like. I mentioned about the characters on the front plate for imports can be 64mm in height.

Now the guy there does amazing jobs with plates and all graphics! But he disagreed and said it has to have the characters at 79mm in height. Jurgan told me they can be smaller and I read on some websites that the characters can be 64mm in height at the front.

So I e-mailed the DVLA with the question and yes they can be 64mm in height.

Just so people don't misunderstand, this does not necessarily mean that you can have smaller than 79mm character number plates on a Supra.

It only applies to vehicles which cannot be fitted with standard sized plates.

A standard sized plate can fit a Supra no problem so this 'loophole' doesn't really apply to our cars.

---------

Edit:

I see Merckx has made a similar point whle I was writing the above.

Edited by Jake (see edit history)

On my do luck it blocks the radiator which may have been on when i imported it ;) so import plate would be allowed (in my opinion). It is also the only place I can put it where it would be at 90° which I think is part of the regulations as well.

The decats is what I've seen posted on forums a few times, but no link to any official documentation. A garage FCM motorsport in Bristol, told me this when I had my skyline MOT'd that had cats in, they said that as it's an import it wasn't needed and they had clarified this with Vosa apparently.

Just so people don't misunderstand, this does not necessarily mean that you can have smaller than 79mm character number plates on a Supra.

It only applies to vehicles which cannot be fitted with standard sized plates.

A standard sized plate can fit a Supra no problem so this 'loophole' doesn't really apply to our cars.

---------

Edit:

I see Merckx has made a similar point whle I was writing the

above.

I disagree. You could nail a normal size plate onto any car if you were brutal enough about it.

The standard plate mount is too small to fit a normal plate. It overhangs and isn't supported at the ends.

I would argue that as a result you could legitimately use a smaller size plate.

I imagine the parts are the same between a UK spec and an import, but it's kinda irrelevant because in the eyes of the law the two are different cars (hence the no type approval and not being able to import them for a while).

True, but I don't feel that I have room on the front of my car to fit a large number plate on the car's front bumper. If I ever got pulled for that I would be refusing an FPN, having my day in court, pleading not guilty to go to trial and then walk out a free man as Magistrates have to work on reasonable belief, and most of them don't have the knowledge of traffic law to convict someone if you put a valid arguement across about plate size, and imported vehicles.... Been there, done that and got the T-shirt with the district circuit judge commending my presentation to the court and clarifying the inpertpretations of the law... whatever that meant?

Your car has a non-OEM bumper so your entire argument is null and void. You've claimed to work in traffic previously, so thought you would understand all this by now...

The standard plate mount is too small to fit a normal plate. It overhangs and isn't supported at the ends.
So it overhangs a couple of inches? I dont see how that stops it being fitted. Why would a number plate have to be supported at the very ends? Lots of them aren't.

Many brand new bikes have rear plates fitted that over hang and arent bolted at the outer edges.

Seems like there's a lot of wishful thinking in this thread to me.

Guest Suprafly
is that really true? "imports can run without cats if manufacture is before 95"

Yes thats true, it used to be 93 but was changed to 95 (for reasons unknown to me) at the same time the new digital MOT's started.

Seems like there's a lot of wishful thinking in this thread to me.

I agree.

The design does not hinder fitment on the front of the car for a normal sized plate on an OEM bumper.

My Supra still has the original Jap plate holder, albeit slightly modified to accept a UK sized plate.

It's just not worth pushing your luck IMHO.

Sorry this is a bit off topic but i just read the car doesnt need an emissions test in an mot if its pre 1995 but states that its a diesel only or alternative fuel not for a petrol car.

Does anyone know if theres an updated document to prove a pre 95 can run de-catted and pass an mot?

Thanks.

Guest EncoreWRC
Your car has a non-OEM bumper so your entire argument is null and void. You've claimed to work in traffic previously, so thought you would understand all this by now...

I do understand this, I did work in Traffic, and I also know the Traffic Court process inside and out..... I designed the court process initially for South East London and Gateway courts then the project moved Pan London on my model...

I understand your arguement however, but I also know how it would be looked upon by a court.... there is a right answer, and you have it, however in reality, it is not seen that way....

Like all things.. they work well in theory but not in practice.

tbh i think the space on front bumper is all about opinion..

if you go to court and prove you have a j-spec car and you have fitted the small plate to fit the correct j spec gap, then the police are aruing that YOU COULD FIT A UK SIZE plate.. that is petty so am pretty sure in a court of law, you could argue the point of - can you fit a uk size or is a j spec a beter size plate for the car.

who is to decide which size plate is the better in use, when fitting a jspec is perfectly ok and within the laws.

police would be wasting their time, i have had this argument with the police with my r35 gtr plates, now since i told them the law they have accept it, but the key is you need to know what the law is or they will overcome you and make you feel to remove your plate.(if you dont know what you can use).

my 2p

Do you know if there is any official document to state the above there mate?

It doesnt matter so long as it passes emmisions. On my supe (93 N/A), the garage says teh DVLA doesnt have emmisions data for that model so they use a massivley high CO figure as the threshold. Basically that means i could be running 1000BHP, or running terribley and still pass. mine has 1 x cat removed and is fine the blocke at teh garage says it will never fail with a threshold like he is told to use.

Sorry this is a bit off topic but i just read the car doesn't need an emissions test in an mot if it's pre 1995 but states that it's a diesel only or alternative fuel not for a petrol car.

Does anyone know if there's an updated document to prove a pre 95 can run de-catted and pass an mot?

This?

http://www.motuk.co.uk/images/7.3page9.pdf

The same chart is on VOSA's site:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/7.3%20Emmissions%20-%20Spark%20Ignition%20-%20Passenger%20Cars%201992-2002.pdf#xml=http://www.vosa.gov.uk/SCRIPTS/texis.exe/webinator/search/xml.txt?query=emissions+test+passenger&pr=CORP&order=r&cq=&id=49756d8f18

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

I agree.

The design does not hinder fitment on the front of the car for a normal sized plate on an OEM bumper.

My Supra still has the original Jap plate holder, albeit slightly modified to accept a UK sized plate.

It's just not worth pushing your luck IMHO.

You've hit the nail on the head there though haven't you. You've had to modify something to make it fit.

If pushed I'm sure I could base an argument on the fact that the aerodynamic forces would bend the overhangs back and could scuff the paintwork or something similar. It wouldn't take much to bewilder your average plod I shouldn't imagine, and luckily for me, my credentials in this particular area would far outweigh his. So likelihood of anything happening - very slim.

You also have to remember that unless you're unlucky enough to be pulled over whilst next to a UK spec Supe, then they've nothing to compare it against.

I would fit whatever makes you happiest, and really not worry about it.

It wouldn't take much to bewilder your average plod I shouldn't imagine, and luckily for me, my credentials in this particular area would far outweigh his. So likelihood of anything happening - very slim.

Nice, thanks for that. I only wish us average plod could one day achieve a level of intelligence like your's.