24 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in attending Gatebil 2010

• Gatebil at Rudskogen, Norway
    • Gatebil at Mantorp, Sweden
    • Too expensive
    • Too far away

Hi Guys

READ POST BEFORE USING POLL

Mr. P and I had a chat yesterday about making a trip to Gatebil next year, and thought we’d share the thoughts with all of you to see what kid of interest you club members have in this.

Many of you already know Gatebil from some of the videos tha’s been posted on here, the most popular one being this This feature feature I guess.

Described in a few words, Gatebil is a true motoring festival, aiming at all sorts of trackaction, drift and time attack driving (but no drag), combined with lots of partying, live music, striptease and the likes.

I’ve attended this event the last 2 years, one in Norway and one in Sweden, and they are both awsome in unique ways. Explanation:

Gatebil Rudskogen (Norway)

Is held at http://www.rudskogen.no/ and is attended by almost 45.000 people from all over Scandinavia and is a HUGE event over 3 days. All the top track cars and drifters in Scandinavia is attending this event, and as a spectator you are never ever bored at this event. The party at night is immense with large concerts and lots of action, as you can probably see from this promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfrUjYksNRs& The downside is that with so many people in one place, tracktime can be hard to come by, and you will inevitably spend quite some time in the queue to get on track. And also, for that many people to gather in one place in the middle of the Norwegian woods, the campsites are scattered around an area of 10square miles, with free busses going back and forth 24hrs.

Lastly, Gatebil is held at Rudskogen in Norway which is around 150 miles north of Gothenburg.

Gatebil Mantorp (Sweden)

Is held at http://www.mantorppark.com/ and is attended by approx 15.000 people, so a lot smaller. This is also a major event, covering an entire weekend, and at this event 90% of the top track cars and drifters also attends. Party at night is of course more limited but theres still live music, DJ’s and lightly dressed girls at stage. On the positive side, the campsite is next to the track (actually ON the old track) and track access is therefore easier. I went there last year and even though lots of cars are driving, I had as much tracktime as I could possibly handle. At the Gatebil event the driving is dealt with in a very relaxed manor, and responsibility is very much in the hand of the drivers. This means that there’s very few stops in the driving sessions and cars are constantly going in and out the pits. Very different from your average trackday, but does demand a bit of awareness in the mirrors ;-)

Gatebil held is at Mantorp , around 160miles from Gothenburg

Some trackaction from last year:

Some pictures from my trip this year: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/album.php?page=1&aid=93066&id=736727346 (sorry, don’t have the link to the pics on photobucket, will try to sort it)

Transportation:

Jamie and I had a look at this, and by the looks of the routes at http://www.directferries.co.uk there’s a ferry route from Newcastle to Gothenburg, however, I no able to choose that one for ordering. So it seems that it’s no longer there, and if that’s the case, the nextbest option is to take the ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg, drive the 213 miles from Esbjerg to Frederikshavn and the take the ferry from Frederikshavn to Gothenburg.

Lastly theres the option of the eurotunnel. It's much cheaper than the ferry, but its a ~1000miles drive from Dover

Costs

Ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg is around £500 (return trip for 2 adults in 1 car)

Ferry from Frederikshavn to Gothenburg is around £200 (return trip for 2 adults in 1 car)

Complete weekend entrance ticket, driving and camping included is around £100

So total cost including food, drinks and what-have-we sound be around a grand, plus a splash of gas for the wheels you will be carrying yourself in.

Attendees:

Needles to say, I will be attending Gatebil, along with 5-10 others cars in the “Scandinavien league” (Supras, Skylines, Silvias, RX-7’s and the like) and would be happy to arrange for some conjoined camping at the track. If we are sufficient in numbers we might even get a spot in the paddock.

I’ve posted up a poll to get a feeling for the interest around this, and to see what event would appeal to who.

When

Official dates are released on December 1st, but the 2 events will take place sometime around July

Edited by csa (see edit history)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted too expensive, but I am thinking about how to raise the cash even now. I've wanted to do Gatebil for years. It's the £500 ferry trip really...

Just reading again and it seems we also need the other ferry at £200 aswell, £700 just in ferrys may be the killer for this trip unless we can find a cheaper alternative.

Just reading again and it seems we also need the other ferry at £200 aswell, £700 just in ferrys may be the killer for this trip unless we can find a cheaper alternative.

Exactly - but then there isn't really anything quite like Gatebil by the look of it. Although you could fly to America and hire a Corvette for a week for the price of the ferry :)

Surely there is a cheaper way around? Dover to Calais and a long drive, anyone? :innocent:

Very interested, wish I didn't take the supra off the road.

Hey ho I'm still tempted, Gaz1 u up for it?

yes very interested:d and would prefer eurotunnel, then road trip

not sure if i will have a supe ready by then, but would take the merc worst case (probably more petrol cost than the ferry for all of us though:d)

yes very interested:d and would prefer eurotunnel, then road trip

not sure if i will have a supe ready by then, but would take the merc worst case (probably more petrol cost than the ferry for all of us though:d)

The merc or my audi it is then :) There is no chance my supe will be done by July.

I think the merc would be perfect for that sort of trip.