The mkiv Supra Owners Club

6 spd conversion how too

dude

OK guys I will post this here and after its run its course maybe the mods can edit out comment etc and leave it in tech as a bit of a guide to any one wanting to try the conversion themselves.

try and give me a bit of time to post this up before replying.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is the order I like to do things, You will need to remember I am using a ramp and have air tools which will make a difference to certain aspects.

thanks to Rob Wild for letting us use his car as a photo model!!!

first off disconnect the battery and strip the interior, pretty much everything will need to come out, including the dash and instruments, taking the clocks out will make it much easier when you come to bolt the clutch and brake pedal in place.

P9023044.JPG

P9023046.JPG

Now, on to removal of the gear box itself.

Before letting the cross member down it easier to remove the converter bolts and a couple of the bellhousing bolts.

To remove the converter bolts I prefer to use a swivel head box spanner and a large ratchet and 24mm socket to turn the engine over, you access the bolts just above the rear part of the X member on the front of the gearbox, there are 6 17mm bolts and you will have to carefully feel with your fingers as the engine is turned over for the bolt to come in line

P9073083.jpg

P9073084.jpg

P9073082.jpg

Edited by dude (see edit history)

You will find that if you can hit the spanner with a sharp movement the bolts should release, if not let the engine turn back round so the socket is touching the gearbox housing and this should let you free the bolt, repeat for all six bolts.

When they are all out the converter should move back into the trans slightly.