The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how to change front aerotop roof bolts

supra steveo

well after rounding one of the bolts off i went and stripped the interior today, and replaceing rounded off nuts isnt really that hard so

part number

90901-09004

price - £5.00 each bolt

step 1.

remove drivers pillar by pulling it coz its only clipped on

step 2.

remove OMG handle ( x2 screws) and pull off passenger pillar

step3.

remove the sun visors ( x3 screws) and u have to pull the little clip at the end hard or lever it out , dont be scard i wont brake ( well it shouldnt lol )

step 4.

remove the interiorlight cover with a flat head screwdriver and the n the 2 screw inside to unfix it from the body of the car then unclip it

step 5.

remove the roof trim, it will come off easy

step 6.

then u will see what is in picture one so if u have rounded the nut off remove the cover by undoing the small screw and slide off the top cover , whats in picture two u can now go ahead and get a chissle and bash the living day lights out of it with a hamer :D anyway what u will get out is picture 3 so now go to toyota and get some new ones

step 7.

put it all back together :D jobs a gud un lets hope its sunny tomorrow :cool:

hope this helps people

use this link for the center bolt

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=120873&highlight=middle+bolt

Image059.jpg

Image060.jpg

Image058.jpg

Edited by supra steveo (see edit history)

• 2 years later...
I remember having some little caps to go over the bolts when the roof was off, so maybe that's what they are?

The rattle you get when the bolt gives way is shocking! What a noise! It sounds like the car is being shaken apart! :blink:

That's what I thought they were too, but rather pointless.

What happened with me was when I was putting the roof back on. I threaded the bolt and it got stuck in there. was a bit of a nightmare getting it back out.

Ooh that sounds very nasty. I remember you asking about the roof a few years ago, and that must've been the trouble you were having.

I took a quick photo of the offending bolt.

The shiny thread area is where it's worn off, and the darker bit at the bottom is all that is left of the thread!

attachment.php?attachmentid=152666&d=1338494044

Photo-31-05-2012-19-25-25.jpg

Edited by AndrewOW
Better photo (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Here's the roof assembly from the parts guide.

I purchased part 63296B as well when I bought new bolts from Toyota. Haven't a clue what they do though. I can only imagine they sit in the bolt holes when the roofs off?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/Matt_H/AeroRoofAssembly.jpg

i have just orded two rear ones will they come with the small moon shape brackets and the springs? i need them lol

i would of thought so? ...

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

I did this recently.

Found a post online talking about removing the handle.

You need to pull the handle upwards and use a flat screwdriver simultaneously lifting a small tab from underneath the handle. The handle will come out from the top and then you can pull it down.

After you remove the screws that hold the metal clips of the handle l, remove metal clips and remove plastic pillar.

The plastic cover lift it just a touch carefully only to uncover the top part of the handle, then use a small flat bladed screwdriver and slide it under the grab handle, from the botton into the clip.

Flatten the handle, pushing it towards the pillar then pull it towards the headliner while maintaining it flat against the pillar and using the screwdriver to help release it from the clip.