The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wez Track Supra

Wez

Hey All,

Thought I would start a thread for my track supra as its off the road at the moment while I get round to sorting various jobs out. Like most people I have an increasing list of jobs that need doing which I am slowly working through, as I complete them I will update this thread.

Some jobs have been done already and will post up details later.

This is how it looked before any work was started.

#1 From SupraPod 2008

#2 Engine bay needs some work :D

#3 Still need to get the bodywork cleaned up

attachment.php?attachmentid=119716&d=1288559993

#4 Engine bay after some work had been done :D

#5 Getting there, BrandsHatch May 2011

attachment.php?attachmentid=132576&d=1305239603

Edited by Wez (see edit history)

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

New Turbo Oil Return

One of the 1st jobs to address was my turbo oil return, as the Induction Motorsport cast manifold kit was never previously installed on a right hand drive the oil return wasnt best placed as it rubs against the hard power steering lines.

#1 This shows the old line rubbing on the power steering

#2 Looks like I caught it just in time

#3 Good job the IM kit uses a teflon oil return

As the IM kit uses a teflon oil return line I wanted to replace it with another teflon line, this proved a nightmare as SpeedFlow and ThinkAuto were unable to supply teflon in -10. I ended up using an industrial supplier who could source the bits needed. To stop this happening again I looked at ways to improve the oil return adapter on the oil pan. Looking at other kits I decided it would be better to have a 45deg adapter onto a straight pipe, this would pull the line closer to the engine and away from the power steering lines.

As you can see from this pic it sticks out way too far.

I took the oil pan adapter to ThinkAuto and they managed to find a -10 45deg adapter that sort of worked. As you can see this has given me lots more clearance from the power steering, the only issue was it was a screw in adapter that didnt finish exactly where I wanted it.

Once I had a position I was happy with I looked up a local welder who managed to do this for me :)

Next up was making the new teflon line, what I cant stress enough is make sure you have a decent hacksaw and plenty of tape otherwise you just end up mashing the line :D

Here are the new adapters and olives, the plan was to use a 45deg adapter at the turbo end and then a straight adapter down to my new oil pan adapter.

I did the straight end first, here is the olive installed.

Next use some engine oil on the adapter and then push the hose all the way down using a twisting motion, it should look like this once done.

Once both were completed I did a quick install and you can see there is no more rubbing :D

RedTop 25 Battery and Isolator Install

I have changed from the large halfords battery to a RedTop 25 and also installed a battery isolator at the same time. I decided to leave the battery under the bonnet and ordered a suitable battery mount.

With the stock battery tray out of the way I was also able to remove the remaining AC lines which are not required and then went about deciding how best to lay out the new battery and isolator.

Once I was happy with the position I ordered some new battery lines from http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu which arrived a couple of days later and allowed me to crack on with the install.

The isolator comes with two switches, one is an external kill switch and the other is a main power/reset switch for the cabin. Most race regs state that the external kill switch goes on the passenger side splash panel so thats where I mounted it.

The isolator works by having a live circuit across the kill pins, the switch breaks the circuit and kills the power, instead of having this connected all the time I put a plug and socket inline which I can then stick a small bypass wire in to allow the car start.

Andy Robinson Roll Cage

Here are some pics of the Andy Robinson roll cage, these were taken just after I picked the car up so it has no dash, I will post some more pics when its been painted :)

This pic shows the harness bar being used, I no longer have the Recaros as I sold them to another member a while back :)

Dash Work

On Sunday I thought I would make a start on sorting the dash out, I am open to ideas on this and its all still work in progress.

This is how the dash looked before I started.

Once the dash was out I marked out roughly where I wanted things placed and then set about cutting the dash up. I have had to leave space for the Dash2 controls which I need to order and also looking at fitting a 2nd cal switch for traction control.

WATER: enables/disable water/meth injection

FIRE: arms fire system when I get round to installing

FAN: on/off for small rad fan

ALS: antilag on/off

TRC: tracton control on/off

LAU: launch control on/off

CAL: 8 position calibration switch for ECU